23% off Site Wise Labor Day Sale

Brian H

I placed two orders, one day after the other.

The first one had several items, and was lost. Purported to have been delivered the very next day. Still going round-and-round with SmartHome and American Express. Really annoying that I was told to complain to the post office, when there isn't a darn thing the post office can do, as has to be initiated from the shipper's end. The UPS > Post Office nonsense essentially allows everybody to go around in circles pointing fingers until they wear-out the customer.

The other order was for one item, and arrived the day after ordered.

FYI, I finally had my first order from the sale replaced. The first one went missing.

In retrospect, I did help decelerate the replacement, by disputing the wrong Amex charge. I made different order the next day, and the amount was very similar to the amount charged on the card on the first order. (first order was part store credit, part credit card.) They kept telling me they hadn't received notice that the dispute had been lifted. This, despite the fact that the DID know there was a dispute in the first place - and never said anything in my multiple contacts that the dispute wasn't even on the order we were discussing.

Anyway, I heard from them Friday, and was told that the replacement was on the way and this time it would be signature required, so to make sure I would be available to sign.

Of course - it arrived without signature required, and was left on the floor of the mailroom. I don't think it was handed-off UPS->USPS this time, delivered by UPS.

FYI, I finally had my first order from the sale replaced. The first one went missing.

In retrospect, I did help decelerate the replacement, by disputing the wrong Amex charge. I made different order the next day, and the amount was very similar to the amount charged on the card on the first order. (first order was part store credit, part credit card.) They kept telling me they hadn't received notice that the dispute had been lifted. This, despite the fact that the DID know there was a dispute in the first place - and never said anything in my multiple contacts that the dispute wasn't even on the order we were discussing.

Anyway, I heard from them Friday, and was told that the replacement was on the way and this time it would be signature required, so to make sure I would be available to sign.

Of course - it arrived without signature required, and was left on the floor of the mailroom. I don't think it was handed-off UPS->USPS this time, delivered by UPS.

Yeah, They have coined a new term "Standard Shipping" that means the carriers can pass it back and forth between anybody that wants to take it that piece of the way.

Imagine the cross finger pointing that must go on with that. LOL

I am still waiting for mine, that I was notified as "shipped". That is the notification meaning they made out  label, while the empty box sits on the floor, ready to be filled and packaged yet. :)

If you received it already, then that may have been the missing package

Since I live in San Diego, I normally get Smarthome shipments the next business day.

it was the replacement. There was a packing list inside with "Signature Required" highlighted in pink.

Because that's where you put the shipper instructions to require a signature - INSIDE the package. Because UPS delivery agents now sport x-ray eyes.

Edit: The Packing List also says Ship Via FXG, which I guess is FedEx Ground.

It arrived UPS.

Maybe this is yet a new multi-shipper route.

So when I left the apartment this afternoon, I stumbled over my "lost" package from the Labor Day sale.

It had been opened.

Probably an honest mistake. There are a lot of unoccupied units, units under renovation, units only used for AirBNB (not really allowed, though - min. 30 day rental), and units that go up on CHBO (Corporate Housing By Owner) at outrageous rents (e.g. exactly the limit of what U.S. government will pay for temporary-assignment military personnel...) and most of the time go empty. So, might have sat somewhere else in the building all this time.

I will contact SmartHome and return the items, EXCEPT.... YET ONE MORE MISTAKE!

Darn it, I WAS SURE I had ordered a motion sensor in my missing order. But since it was a phone order on a separate account (I used a store credit, and it was messed up in SmartHome's system where every time you place an order without having an account, they create a new account and have no way to merge them...) I had no way to check, and such a pain contacting them on the phone. So, I thought maybe I'd changed my mind about the motion sensor (actually was waffling about it) and let it go.

Well, well, well, there's the motion sensor. The motion sensor they forgot to include in the replacement order.

I will email them and ask for a return tag, and explain why the motion sensor won't be included.

Screw them if I have to try to get ahold of them by phone.

The people who live in this apartment sure like playing with fire. 

Since I don't (and because I am honest) I am sending back the extra order. Since it was opened, I have no way of knowing that government agents (ours or theirs) haven't injected an Insteon virus. I will keep the motion detector not included in the replacement order, though, even though they might have added a spy camera!

But since the box didn't contain a Cisco router, I imagine they didn't bother. (Besides, so many companies now buy Chinese routers, cutting out the middleman...)

I gave the valet a USB extension cable the other day, because his wireless keyboard wasn't working so well, with the dongle plugging into a PC in a metal box around the corner from his desk. For all he knows, I am now key-logging everything! ;)

Did you in fact receive the CC refund as expected?

No refund. They provided what they curiously refer to as a "free order". They shipped out a new order which I received a few days ago, but it was minus one of the items.

When I ship back the original minus the motion detector (which was absent from the replacement) it will no-doubt put their accounting system into a tailspin.

Archived