Insteon Thermostat 2441TH Wiring help

MarkN1984

I recently decided to implement (or at least try to...) the Insteon Thermostat 2441TH into my house and existing insteon hub and ended up having to revert back to the old thermostat.  The symptom I was experiencing after wiring was that when the cooling kicked on it seemed to work at first, however when the compressor outside activated I was getting heat (maybe both at the same time). In MD we are still in AC season so I didn’t test the heat, and reverted back.

My current Thermostat has a 8 wire pull coming from the wall but only 6 wires is being used. The only research I did prior to the install was look at the wiring to make sure I had 5 or more wires terminated and whether the old thermostat was wired into the Heat/Cool or Heat Pump terminals. Mine was wired in Heat Cool so I got the 2441TH.

HVAC system

Trane XL15i System -  2 stage heat 1 stage cooling HVAC   manufacture date is sept. 2008            

http://www.manualguru.com/trane/xl15i/owners-manual

Trane Thermostat                   

http://trane.americanstandardca.com/pdf/otros_productos/TermostatosTconT/MANUAL_DE_INSTALACION_TCONT_602.pdf

I did not open the air handler in the basement to see the other end of the wires.

Thermostat Wire Pull

post-8309-0-25571400-1474548249_thumb.jpg

Old Thermostat Wiring

post-8309-0-81351800-1474548216_thumb.jpg

I added some wiring labels to make this easier to read.

I have jumpers going from R <>RC and a 2nd Jumper from W2 <>Y2.  Not sure if the W2/Y2 jumper is even needed from the research I done, it appears my Trane XL15i hvac is 2 stage heat and 1 stage cool.

Insteon  2441TH Thermostat Wiring

post-8309-0-07046700-1474548319_thumb.jpg

In Yellow is the labeling from old thermostat showing how I wired it up to the insteon. The thermostat had power and seemed responsive to the hvac system. Unit provided heat when compressor outside kicked on. 

The pic shows the new thermostat without the W2/Y2 jumper. See testing and TS notes below.

Insteon  2441TH Testing and Trouble Shooting

1. New Thermostat wired as shown plus I added the jumper from W2 <> Y2  as old thermostat had this.
  2.  New Thermostat wired as shown in the photo.
  3.  Reversed Wiring of Y1 and W1 to confirm the wires were not reversed somehow.

All three wirings had that symptoms of heat coming out of the vents.

Assumptions at this point:

• I may need the Insteon Thermostat for Heat Pump Afterall, I think I do have a heat pump config despite the hvac terminal being used.
  • I may need to use the 2 wires not terminated
  • No Thermostat Insteon makes may be compatable? Am I looking at a Nest product now?

Thanks for reading this and any insight you can bring on my issue is greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

W2 is the second stage of heating.

Y2 is the second stage of cooling.

This appears you have a heat pump system and I doubt the Insteon stats will handle this properly

Many thermostats cannot handle heat pump switching properly as the heat is not usually staged but the backup heat may be run in lieu of the heat pump. Staging means they will run together, when needed.

The Venstar T7900 has a heat pump option to  accomplish this. The T7900 requires an RPi or  computer on 24 x 7 running NodeLink (free) to get complete access from/to ISY.

You have to know if you have a heat pump as those other B, O  wires control the direction the system runs for heat or A/C.

B should not be hooked to the R or Rc incoming live terminals.

From the looks of the 2441TH terminals it will not operate a heat pump.

Thanks for the insight. My wiring still seems a bit goofy to me going forward

so looking at the wiring terminals in the new insteon heat pump thermostat i would assume:

B is going to the common

W is going into the OB terminal

W2 is going into Aux heat?

post-8309-0-65891800-1474571010_thumb.png

sorry just wanna make sure my assumptions are correct for i exchange these out. 

Welcome to the forum!

W2 is the second stage of heating.

Y2 is the second stage of cooling.

This appears you have a heat pump system and I doubt the Insteon stats will handle this properly

Many thermostats cannot handle heat pump switching properly as the heat is not usually staged but the backup heat may be run in lieu of the heat pump. Staging means they will run together, when needed.

The Venstar T7900 has a heat pump option to  accomplish this. The T7900 requires an RPi or  computer on 24 x 7 running NodeLink (free) to get complete access from/to ISY.

You have to know if you have a heat pump as those other B, O  wires control the direction the system runs for heat or A/C.

B should not be hooked to the R or Rc incoming live terminals.

From the looks of the 2441TH terminals it will not operate a heat pump.

Thanks for the welcome, This thermostat has been frustrating compared to the work i've already done with the lighting and sensors/fan controllers. im really banking on getting this thermostat implemented so i can get some temperature related scenes going for the fans.

So i was a bit tripped up on the Blue cable Terminated to the terminal marked B on the old thermostat for sure. The trane manual for the thermostat references the b terminal as a common, where in this new heat pump insteon thermostat (i have to buy now) shows B terminal as an reversing valve.Not sure where that leaves me with needing a common wire... i guess i would also need an add a wire kit? I'm kinda learning more about hvac by the minute!  haha

You really need the technical information on your heat pump unit showing connections.

The B wire usually would go into the B terminal. This is usually a control wire that switched the compressor system from A/C to heating and can operate in either polarity to call for heat depending on your system.

It appears you need to connect  24vac common wire in the air handler to supply  power to the stat.

A black wire is the usual colour for the 24vac common but I don't see one. According to your trane stat manual somebody has used a blue wire = B for the common 24vac.

W wire is usually white and should be the first stage of your heating.

This is mostly just a guess as no wiring information for your heat pump or wiring information at the air handler is shown.

You really need the technical information on your heat pump unit showing connections.

The B wire usually would go into the B terminal. This is usually a control wire that switched the compressor system from A/C to heating and can operate in either polarity to call for heat depending on your system.

It appears you need to connect  24vac common wire in the air handler to supply  power to the stat.

A black wire is the usual colour for the 24vac common but I don't see one. According to your trane stat manual somebody has used a blue wire = B for the common 24vac.

W wire is usually white and should be the first stage of your heating.

This is mostly just a guess as no wiring information for your heat pump or wiring information at the air handler is shown.

I will take a look at the air handler wiring today. I do have 2 extra wires not being used one of those is black. 

Archived