cannot link Insteon Mini Remote Switch to ISY

someguy

I've followed the instructions in the admin console to get this mini remote 2342-2 connected.  I've tried factory resetting it and moving it around closer to access points and every single time, I get this error:post-591-0-78246000-1475117079_thumb.jpg

Wed 09/28/2016 20:14:45 : [3e ef b4    ] Added to list of devices to link to ISY
Wed 09/28/2016 20:15:05 : [  11 8C D2 1]      DOF   1
Wed 09/28/2016 20:15:05 : [  11 8C D2 1]       ST   0
Wed 09/28/2016 20:15:10 : [3E EF B4 0  ] Failed to add device, reason 9

I've fully charged the device.

Also, it should be noted the best place to link the remote is next to the 2413S PLM. This will ensure you have a known RF device to communicate with. This assumes you don't have any plugin devices like dimmer, relay, AP / RE in place. As many times trying to link a RF device to a hardwired device doesn't offer enough RF signal to the hand held unit.

Which methods have you tried? There are three, by Insteon ID, by selecting from the drop down list and by the Start Linking icon (spinning arrows).

I've tried using the insteon I.D.  after selecting remotelinc switch and I also tried selecting it from the dropdown list.  when I did those, I got the error that I showed above.  When I tried the "start linking" icon, nothing happens.

also:  I did put the unit right next to my PLM and an access point with no luck.  

interestingly:  if I don't even have the unit on, I get that same error.  I theorize that it could have the wrong insteon address on the sticker on the back of it.  Is there a sneaky way to sniff out what the insteon ID is?  

There is a higher likely hood of turtles falling from the sky and eating your house then to see a incorrect Insteon ID placed on the hardware.

Trust me, many of us have mused this is something that would happen at some point. After more than nine years I have never read and seen a Insteon ID that was incorrectly placed on a piece of hardware.

That is truly incredible to say the least . . .

If the Mini Remote is fully charged and you tried Start Linking and then helt the set button on the Mini Remote and noting happened, then there is no signal being generated by the remote nor being received by the ISY. It seems that the remote is defective.

The ID appears only after the device is added to the ISY.

There is a higher likely hood of turtles falling from the sky and eating your house then to see a incorrect Insteon ID placed on the hardware.

Trust me, many of us have mused this is something that would happen at some point. After more than nine years I have never read and seen a Insteon ID that was incorrectly placed on a piece of hardware.

That is truly incredible to say the least . . .

I expected a mismarked ID was improbable but NOT THAT IMPROBABLE?  ha!  :mrgreen:

I think I'll try simply linking it to a light switch and if that doesnt work then I'll return it.  I'll let you know.  

I expected a mismarked ID was improbable but NOT THAT IMPROBABLE?  ha!  :mrgreen:

I think I'll try simply linking it to a light switch and if that doesnt work then I'll return it.  I'll let you know.  

LMAO - Yes wouldn't that be a sight to see *Giant Ninja like turtles falling from the sky and eating the house* I swear my daughter would just love it in a warped sense.

Yes, if you can link to a device with direct linking all is good with the remote. If it does then its possible there is RF issues in the home or you may (remotely) be too close.

NOTE: You may consider hard resetting the remote to see if its simply confused. Hard resetting all newly acquired device is best practice anyways.

I ordered another Insteon Mini Remote Switch and I am able to link it to my insteon switches.  it links to them easily and well but it will not link to my ISY.  Any other suggestions?  

Michel: is there a problem with ISY and these switches?

]interestingly, here is my experience with two other units:

Micro On/Off switch:

I was also trying to add a "micro on/off" switch this morning and got the same error ("cannot determine device link table address").  I then power cycled my PLM and IT WORKED!! but only  for this "micro on/off" switch to connect it to my ISY. 

Mini Remote - Switch:

I then tried this again for the "mini remote switch" and it gives the same error ("cannot determine device link table address").   (this is the same error that I started this thread about)

Leak Sensor:

I tried to link a Leak Sensor to my ISY and got the same error again.   ("cannot determine device link table address").  

post-591-0-53128400-1475923708_thumb.jpg

When I try to link each of these items it is clear that the ISY can communicate with the item because it can figure out the model number and even the version of it (in this example: "(2852-222) Leak Sensor v.44".

I appreciate any help.

This is sounding more like the HL2 device profile issue now.

That would be odd since the device profile is in the ISY Series Controller. But since the PLM must also have something similar there could be a disconnect between the two?

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

OK this is a long shot.

The original 2440 Remotelinc have issues if too close to the latest revision 2413s PLM. Getting it far from the PLM making another dual band module process the Insteon RF sometimes worked.

Maybe try linking the problem units away from the PLM and near a different dual band device may show different results.

Though as of now I have not seen any recent devices needing distance from the latest PLMs.

OK this is a long shot.

The original 2440 Remotelinc have issues if too close to the latest revision 2413s PLM. Getting it far from the PLM making another dual band module process the Insteon RF sometimes worked.

Maybe try linking the problem units away from the PLM and near a different dual band device may show different results.

Though as of now I have not seen any recent devices needing distance from the latest PLMs.

Brian:

You are suggesting that I take my "Insteon Mini Remote Switch" as far away from my 2242-222 Hub as possible (but still somewhere near another access point or dual band device) when I try to "pair" it with the ISY?  

Archived