ISY 994i mind of it's own? Port is gone .. can't communicate.

Jason Miller

Got home last night and noticed none of the outdoor lights were on .. which are triggered by a program in my ISY. I can't access the ISY .. so, I reboot it (unplug power). It comes back online, but still isn't working ..  and to make things stranger, the network port defaulted to 80 when it SHOULD be 203 .. 

I was able to ping the IP, so on a whim I tried to access without the network port (192.168.1.203) and it was fine. Usually, I must hit 192.168.1.203:203.

Once logged in, said it was operating in safe mode and couldn't communicate with the PLM.

Any ideas? I don't want to start playing with it until I get any feedback. Really confused how in network settings the port went back to 80. System has been online over 2 years.

IIRC, Safe mode is when ISY cannot find your PLM.

You could try power cycling your PLM and then power cycling your ISY.

Also check your PLM cable.

It may be time for a new PLM or a rebuild but they usually don't go dead immediately, that I have heard here.

Safe mode usually means your PLM bit the dust.  And the 2-year thing sort of confirms it -- SmartHome's PLMs die (due to poor component selection) right at the 2-year mark -- see the the PLM repair thread here for more info.

At this point, you can try unplugging the PLM and ISY, then plug in the PLM, wait a few seconds, and power up the ISY.  It might work for a few hours or days while you wait for a replacement PLM.

Once you get your new PLM (good for another two years), make sure you follow the replacement procedures and do NOT do a DELETE PLM (or all is lost and you get to start from scratch!).

If the PLM is not operating correctly the controller will be flashing the error LED. Assuming this is the PLM you will need to submit a RMA to Smarthome if its still under the 2 year warranty period. If not you can still have the item *Cross Docked* meaning they will ship you out a new unit first and wait for you to send back the older unit.

Once they receive the older unit the temporary charge will be credited back.

Ok .. so if the PLM is bad, the actual admin pages won't load as well?

Normally no, but since you indicated the port / IP is changing I would verify what address this unit is on the network. If you have a controller that is set to DHCP a IP conflict could ensue. 

Normally no, but since you indicated the port / IP is changing I would verify what address this unit is on the network. If you have a controller that is set to DHCP a IP conflict could ensue. 

The IP is not DHCP, it's set to 192.168.1.203

When I was able to get logged in, I discovered the port was switched back to 80, not 203. Nothing was working, but the admin console loaded once I figured out it wasn't on port 203

Right now, I can ping the ip and it replies

But, the dashboard won't load.

The IP is not DHCP, it's set to 192.168.1.203

When I was able to get logged in, I discovered the port was switched back to 80, not 203. Nothing was working, but the admin console loaded once I figured out it wasn't on port 203

Right now, I can ping the ip and it replies

But, the dashboard won't load.

First thing I would check is your router to confirm there isn't a IP conflict in case other appliances are set to DHCP. If you find nothing obvious you can follow the WiKi to select one of several options for the controller. Regardless of what method you select please do ensure you have a known *proven* back up in case its needed.

At this juncture you need to order a 2413S PLM to solve the primary issue . . .

WiKi Link: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Admin_Console_Icon_on_Your_Desktop

Strange things happen when the PLM is dead or on its way out.

Sometimes power cycling it may make it work for a short additional time.

Another symptom of PLM failure is its Link Database is almost completely empty.

There is a 13 page thread here on the PLM failures and how some of us have repaired them..

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

First thing I would check is your router to confirm there isn't a IP conflict in case other appliances are set to DHCP. If you find nothing obvious you can follow the WiKi to select one of several options for the controller. Regardless of what method you select please do ensure you have a known *proven* back up in case its needed.

At this juncture you need to order a 2413S PLM to solve the primary issue . . .

I will review it all again. DHCP stops dishing out IP's at .100, as I have i configured. So, nothing should be on .203 but I will see if something went nutty. When you say wiki and select an option, what exactly do you mean? Like some wiki article?

I will review it all again. DHCP stops dishing out IP's at .100, as I have i configured. So, nothing should be on .203 but I will see if something went nutty. When you say wiki and select an option, what exactly do you mean? Like some wiki article?

The appended link I just added speaks about the different methods to access the Admin Console. You have the choice of using a browser or the Java applet. Trying both will rule out something odd happening and might very well let you access the controller to see whats going on.

The other portions of the WiKi discuss the different options from small to large invasive techniques to access or hard reset the controller in case you believe its gone bad.

This is highly unlikely but I offer this in case its something you're considering.

NOTE: If you read the WiKI it speaks about the single red error light and indicates it could be a bad SD card or improperly seated one. 

The SD card seemed fine. However, I did seat it again. Still, nothign is loaded. I have the network setup where DHCP won't go over .200. The device is .203. It's replying to ping and showing accepting an IP. However, the dashboard won't load and the ISY java console won't find it.  Any ideas?

For informational purposes only if you load the firmware that is listed for the Z-Wave / ZigBee. This will allow the ISY Series Controller to ignore a bad or missing PLM.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

New PLM arrived .. followed the procedure to replace (http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/420-how-to-replacerestoreremove-plm/). However, the ISY is still not loading any admin pages. Only difference is now only the "power" light stays steady blue on the device.

Same error as before:

Not found in ISY java desktop

In browser: 

The 192.168.1.203 page isn’t working

192.168.1.203 didn’t send any data.

Hi jam583,

Just to be clear: you could login to the Admin Console BEFORE doing a Restore Modem but you can no longer access it after?

If you are still having issues, it would be best to submit a ticket (links below).

With kind regards,

Michel

Here is the outline of events:

1. Came home, programs not working
  2. Rebooted ISY
  3. Was able to log in 1 time into ISY via the java admin console . But, noted the port on the IP was back to 80 when the past 2 years it was 203. ONce I figured that out I could login
  4. Nothing else seemed to work
  5. Noted red light flashing on modem
  6. Was told to reseat memory card .. did that
  7. Turned back on, red light gone, but still not accessible via console
  8. Bought new PLM
  9. Unplugged all items, plugged PLM in, booted ISY
  10. Same thing .. console not responsive

Archived