Add a Remotelinc

andrew77

Hi Guys;

I went to the wiki to see how to add my remotelinc and I don't see the same window pop ups that are on the wiki

I go to Link Management and select Link a Remotelinc. 

I get the New Insteon Device window pop up but nothing that tells me to hold the A button until it flashes.

I tried this anyway and the GUI told me it couldn't find a device.

I believe I have the latest updates and all.

Am I missing something?

Drew

Hello Drew,

I'm not sure if I understand your problem but once any remote is added you will see the separate nodes on the left hand side of the device tree.

1. You will then create a scene and call it what ever you like.

2. Then you will drag what ever remote button(s) to the newly created scene.

3. Any linked devices you wish to participate in that scene will also be dragged and dropped.

Obviously you need to place the remote into linking mode and the LED will flash accordingly if done correctly. The system will automatically make the links and associations that's it.

It sounds like you're mixing up doing a manual direct linking opposed to using the controller.

Is this the original 2440 RemoteLinc or the one of the latest RemoteLinc2 models?

If it is a any model RemoteLinc2. Try holding the SET button until it beeps. Then add it to your ISY setup.

When added. All the buttons will show up as nodes. Then you can make individual scenes from within the Administrative Console.

It does sound like you are trying to follow the linking information in the manuals. As Teken thought.

Manual linking information is not used when an ISY interface is being used.

Sorry for not being clear.

I have the older remotelinc 1

I click on the GUI to Link a Remotelinc and it pops up the New Insteon Device window but no other step or anything to get the ISY to recognize and link to the Remotelinc

Hello Drew,

Its been awhile since I linked the older 2440 but are you in fact holding the dim & bright button to place it into linking mode? Pressing any other buttons is intended for direct linking to other insteon devices. Meaning using that method assumes you have no controller like the ISY Series Controller and those links are created outside of the knowledge of the controller.

NOTE: For the benefit of others in the future to place the older 2440 remote into linking mode. Press and hold both dim & bright buttons together until the LED flashes. This will place the remote into linking mode which the full users manual doesn't seem to address?

Bright and Dim Buttons as pointed out.

One thing we have seen here.

The older 2440 RemoteLinc does not add into the Administrative Console with the latest version of the 2413S PLM.

If it is near enough to the PLM to be using Insteon RF commands.

Try moving the Remotelinc as far away from the PLM as possible. Allowing a different Dual Band Module to handle the Insteon RF and pass it on by power line to the PLM.

I had to go to the other end of my home and use a Range Extender in my case to process the adding a 2440 it to the Administrative Console.

I just tried that and it seemed to recognize the Remotelinc but it told me it couldn't add the Remotelinc  

because it Couldn't determine Insteon Engine

I've tried a few times.

Should I put it in a different room?

Drew

EDIT

I sent this just as Brian added his post.

I'll try putting it upstairs and let you know

Drew

I just tried that and it seemed to recognize the Remotelinc but it told me it couldn't add the Remotelinc  

because it Couldn't determine Insteon Engine

I've tried a few times.

Should I put it in a different room?

Drew

Hello Drew,

The first couple of things of house keeping need to be done to ensure this is as painless as possible. If in doubt ensure the batteries are fresh and good to go. If so take the 2440 remote linc as far as possible from the 2413S PLM even if its in the garage etc.

Place it into linking mode and then go back and try one of the two methods for linking. One is using the 2 blue / yellow whirling arrows and the other is with the light bulb where you enter the Insteon ID.

I just tried again and got the same results. Near the PLM.

Far away it did add fine.

One thing I did see. If you have the Pro version.

If the Automatic Writes to battery devices is disabled. Some of the hold bright and dim buttons messages did not appear. I had mine off and it added it to the Administrative Console but has write pending Icons next to all the buttons.

Hi Brian 

How far away were you?

If I go too far I assume it won't read at all.

I've been running everywhere and finally got the remotelinc added but there are exclamation marks beside the buttons. 

I can't query it either.

I add a button to a scene and it seems to add but won't actually control the scene.

I have another Remotelinc and had no problems adding it whatsoever. Don't know what the difference is

Drew

You can't query a battery operated device it needs to be in linking mode to do so. If there are red exclamation marks the device didn't fully add into the system.

Place the unit into linking mode again and do a restore device . . . 

Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Should I delete the device and try to find a better place to set it when I try to re add it?

Any thoughts on where I need to put the remote to hopefully have a better result in adding it to the ISY?

Outside? as far from the house as it'll go and still be found?

I'm getting the feeling i'll be burning a few AAA's before I'm done

Drew

Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Should I delete the device and try to find a better place to set it when I try to re add it?

Any thoughts on where I need to put the remote to hopefully have a better result in adding it to the ISY?

Outside? as far from the house as it'll go and still be found?

Drew

Hello Drew,

The following reply is mine alone so take it for what its worth.

1. My understanding is the latest PLM emits too strong of a RF signal and thus is causing all kinds of grief for those having a 2440 remote.

2. You can certainly try to move further away but would offer to you its just easier to place some tin foil over the PLM and do the same and see if it adds. Keeping in mind you must be near another dual band RF device.

I've got it in the ISY but still with Exclamation marks.

I programmed a scene to one of the buttons as a controller and it worked (sometimes I had to push it twice to trigger the scene but I also didn't remove the tin foil from the PLM if that makes a difference)

The ISY didn't recognize the scene had been triggered.

My next try would be to put the Remotelinc in the barn (its a separate service but still controlled by the ISY)

I have two SWL out there version .27 

Are they dual band RF devices?

If not what are dual band?

Drew

Hello Drew,

How old is your Insteon network and how many devices do you have in the home? Can you offer the model number of the Insteon devices you have as this will let us know more. On the Admin Console it may also tell you if the device is dual band in the center of the window.

NOTE: If you successfully added the 2440 remote you can remove the tin foil.

Most of my 2440 RemoteLincs added when about 30' from the PLM. One required that it be more than 40' away. The only requirement is that the RemoteLinc be within range of any dual-band device. That works also to clear any !

• 4 months later...

OK - i was able to add my Insteon mini remote 4 scene model 2342-232. v2.0S 1631

It was very difficult.

1.  I manually linked the device to another insteon device - a pluggable light dimmer.

2.  I then checked that the insteon mini remote was in the insteon link table - it was - i could see it's address in the table.

3.  I then deleted the insteon pluggable light dimmer from my insteon device.

4.  i re-added the insteon device with the add connected devices

5.  The insteon pluggable light dimmer added without a problem.

6.  the insteon mini remote 4 scene was found identified and added

7.  I can now assign scenes to each of the mini remotes 4 buttons

So far so good!!

But I do feel awful that the normal process didn't work.  What's broken?

There have been a few threads here on the 2342-232 4 Scene Remotes being a problem when adding them. No it should not be so difficult to add one. Mine added with no issues.

Similar to the problems with  the 2440 old RemoteLinc in this thread is covering.

You may find some added information in the other threads with the same issues.

Here is one of them

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/21093-cannot-determine-insteon-engine-for-mini-remote/

Thank you for providing the information printed on the white sticker on the back of the remote.

Now that you got it added. What firmware version for the remote is showing in My Lighting?

Does the six digit Insteon ID reported in My Lighting match the six digit ID printed on the back of the remote?

Archived