Notify on Daylight Savings change?

cmccartney

Is there some way to send an email notification from ISY on each change to/from daylight savings? At the actual change, not just the scheduled date.

The reason I would like this is that there are many things (clocks, etc.) around the house that need manual attention and we always forget one or two. An email to me and the wife with a checklist would be a great reminder.

Craig

The actual change is at 2AM. If you only need a checklist, why does it have to be at that specific time? Wouldn't the evening before or the morning after the change be adequate.

Michel,

What do you mean by sizing?

Gary, et al:

The problem with using a specific time/date, "putting it on my calendar", is that the politicians tend to change the date(s) every so often, and only in some areas (countries/states...). This has happened twice in recent years, and many times, as I recall, over my lifetime.

I was thinking of something a little more stable to reliably notify that a time change has occurred.

Craig

V5 variables are not my specialty, but would there be some way to do it with an ISY program and the new date / time variable features in V5? 

• Save the time to a variable hourly in one program based on date (Nov and March) and time ranges (1:00am to 3:00am)
  • Do a compare hourly just after the hour, comparing the variable  in another program bounded within a date (Nov and March) and time range (1am to 3am)?

The idea is, within boundaries, I'd expect the variable after 1am + 1h = 2. 

If

variable+1 <> 2                        // (eg 3 or 1), I know that DST changed  

then:

do a notification, ....

Alternatively, write one program for each condition... when variable+1 = 3 or when variable+1 = 1 and have distinct notifications for spring and fall.

That may not be exactly the right parameters, but something along those lines could work, for those that have worked this feature better than me.

Paul

The ISYData component of ioguy's NodeLink has a daylight saving time field. I asked for it and he quickly added the feature. You could use that variable as a heartbeat (detect a change) and trigger an email.

Can his program compensate for the OP's question of (IF) the Government decided to change *When* DST happen? I think the real question is when will the ISY Series Controller ever have a calendar to program for basic things.

ie. You're able to select a date, date range, for a program.

From casual reading I believe some members indicated v5 has a basic date option?

Just to be clear you are saying his program knows if someone changed DST a week earlier / later and than can compensate for that new data point?

As long as that information is conveyed to the OS, as I believe is the case for all major OSs, yes.  It usually comes as part of an OS update when changes occur in different countries or regions around the world, and as you would expect your Windows, Mac, or Linux box to reflect the change, it would also be reflected in the node because it gets its data from the OS.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the concern.

Obviously it would be nice to have all of the fields from ISYData native to the ISY, so I'm happy to hear that UDI is amenable to that.

Rob

As long as that information is conveyed to the OS, as I believe is the case for all major OSs, yes.  It usually comes as part of an OS update when changes occur in different countries or regions around the world, and as you would expect your Windows, Mac, or Linux box to reflect the change, it would also be reflected in the node because it gets its data from the OS.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the concern.

Obviously it would be nice to have all of the fields from ISYData native to the ISY, so I'm happy to hear that UDI is amenable to that.

Rob

Hello Rob,

Appreciate the clarity on the DST so in essence the application relies on the OS to be updated to know that condition should it ever change. I thought you were eluding to the fact I/O Guy's node application went out to the Internet similar to NTP Server to update and obtain the current stats.

There is a dst flag associated with the datetime object in Python. Between that, and pyephem, I created a script that tracks those items, plus sun angles, etc. Basically my own version of NodeLink, since I'm having node issues with my ISY and the beta 5.x line.

(FYI, beware the daylight_savings object. It only tells you whether, for a given location, DST exists or not, not whether is is DST time or not.)

Archived