Insteon Siren

paulbates

It sounds just like a real *ding dong* door bell like those you hear when you enter a 7 Eleven's.

It goes Beeeee Booo . . . Beeeee Booo . .

LOL

I haven't been in a 7 Eleven for 35 years.

Your description sounds opposite of your sound, to me. Beee Boo sounds like an old X10 sick alert at Radio Shack with no envelope.

A real ding dong sounds more like "ding, dong" with two frequencies and "ding, ding" with one frequency. Both have a sharp attack and slow decay. This is the one I want, otherwise I will stick with my beep, beep BuzzLincs.

Man, are we having fun yet? LOL.

LOL

I haven't been in a 7 Eleven for 35 years.

Your description sounds opposite of your sound, to me. Beee Boo sounds like an old X10 sick alert at Radio Shack with no envelope.

A real ding dong sounds more like "ding, dong" with two frequencies and "ding, ding" with one frequency. Both have a sharp attack and slow decay. This is the one I want, otherwise I will stick with my beep, beep BuzzLincs.

Man, are we having fun yet? LOL.

I have no clue why the reference of *Ding Dong* came into my head. 

LOL . . .

My apologies my dear Larry it does indeed sound like a Beee Booo. The new Insteon Siren doesn't go *Ding Ding* it has two tones which are distinct but is extremely loud. As noted there is a plastic sticker cover which I can only imagine would be twice as loud if removed.

When I say its loud it will scare the bajesus out of you if you're not prepared to hear the siren tone. The door chime is less obnoxious but it is also very loud. My plans for this unit is for GDO alert notice using the chime during specific hours of the day. When the door is about to close the siren will be selected to announce and alert the door is pending a closing state.

The other one is being linked to the Smoke Bridge for added coverage even though its quite over kill.  

I have no clue why the reference of *Ding Dong* came into my head. 

LOL . . .

My apologies my dear Larry it does indeed sound like a Beee Booo. The new Insteon Siren doesn't go *Ding Ding* it has two tones which are distinct but is extremely loud. As noted there is a plastic sticker cover which I can only imagine would be twice as loud if removed.

When I say its loud it will scare the bajesus out of you if you're not prepared to hear the siren tone. The door chime is less obnoxious but it is also very loud. My plans for this unit is for GDO alert notice using the chime during specific hours of the day. When the door is about to close the siren will be selected to announce and alert the door is pending a closing state.

The other one is being linked to the Smoke Bridge for added coverage even though its quite over kill.

Then there is the old European siren on the movies... "Tee,dell... tee, dell..." :) :)

This tally totals three times three, "Spelling sounds seems senseless."

"Similarity stimulates senses." That tally totals two times three B)

That's, Nee Naw, Nee Naw.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

That's probably the best rendition.

Maybe like the old joke about the guy with the job in public announcements, strapped to the roof,

..."it's me ma....me ma....me ma...."

Well it is different from the earlier Alert Module.

Later main board. Marked Lamplinc Siren RF Dual Band.

Has Siren Driver Daughter Board { Sirenlinc Alarm Rev.02} plugged into the main board by two headers that mate with pins on the main board.

Looks like the power supply may have a few added coils on it.

Both a small beeper glued on the case connected to the main board and the siren sounder connected to the siren driver board mounted over the front grill.

It does act like a controller if you link it to a responder module like a On/Off module or Lamplinc. Flashes the responder when the alarm is sounding.

The older Alert module has a main board Lamplinc RF Dual Band and one sounder.

Since I know my partner in crime doesn't have a smart phone with a camera. For those visually impaired here are some photos of the unit.

fb09db6b3b008c566649402e7b8dfa70.jpg

6e07e99afcff9830b01701c91eb776f2.jpg

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else besides Teken and myself. Tried using the Siren Modules Controller Function?
It is not very well documented in the manual or sales page.
As a controller it can send a Fast On and Fast Off to responder modules. When the Siren Function
is triggered and flash the responder On and Off.

Using manual linking. I have tried a 2456S3 ApplianceLinc, the newer 2635-222R On-Off Module,
2657D2R LampLinc and a 2856D2 Icon Dimmer. All of them flashed their load. Though I did notice the LED on
the 2856D2 flickering like the Siren Module was sending something after it timed out on a Siren
Output. Flickering stopped when I unplugged the Siren Module.

I am really hoping the next generation of Insteon hardware simply incorporates an internal beep & flash chip. As this would reduce streaming data on the line and lesson the impact on other devices wanting to communicate at the same time. Native beep and flash has been something on the wish list which has lots of value.

Those interested in the very same can show their support by selecting the *LIKE* button under the first post . . .

NOTE: You will need to register as a new member to do so - Thank You

http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/16482-native-beep-flash

• 2 weeks later...

Did more tests. Some of this is maybe scattered in other posts to this thread.

Testing the Siren Module. Manually linked to a 2342-232 4 Scene Mini Remote.
One button set for Arm and Disarm
One button set for Chime activation.
One button set for Siren activation.

An On sent to the Arm-Disarm Link.
A forty five second arm delay starts. LED flashes red and internal beeper beeps. LED turns green when Armed.
An On sent to the Arm-Disarm link when armed. The forty five second arm delay starts again.
An Off sent to the Arm-Disarm link. Disarms the module.

An On sent to the Chime link sounds the Chime output. If the module is armed.
An Off sent to the Chime link does not do anything.

An On sent to the Siren link starts the thirty second Siren output. If the module is armed.
The Manual says Siren output is two minutes.
An Off to the Siren link does not stop the Siren output early.
Double tapping the Off button for a Fast off to the Siren link. Does stop the Siren output early.

Manual only references a Controller function in the manuals specifications page.
I have manually linked the Siren Module as a Controller to a few Insteon modules.
They flash On and Off while the Siren output is On.

It is not 100% with a Communications {Beacon/4 Tap} Test.
If it is the Siren module is doing the test. Other modules respond correctly indicating same or opposite phase.
If it is responding to a Communications test from another module. It does not respond correctly.
If it is Disarmed and the LED is Red. It flashes Red for both same and opposite phase testing module.
If it is Armed and the LED is Green. It flashes Green for both same and opposite phase testing module.

• 3 months later...

I see Alpha build 5.0.9 has the Siren Module supported.

I wounder how long before a stable Beta or Released version 5.? will be available. So I can actually have a use for my 2867-222 Alert Modules and 2868-222 Siren Modules?

I see Alpha build 5.0.9 has the Siren Module supported.

I wounder how long before a stable Beta or Released version 5.? will be available. So I can actually have a use for my 2867-222 Alert Modules and 2868-222 Siren Modules?

1-2 years?

Thanks for the update.

I know that the firmware in the Siren Modules have been changed at least one time between my early and later purchase.

Though 4.5.4 can't add them. It does go far enough to find the Category, Subcategory, Firmware and six digit Insteon ID.

Firmware 45 in older ones. Firmware 46 in later ones. Don't know if a later one is now installed.

The later ones do not like my RemoteLinc II. Can't link them if too close. If I go to the  other end of house using a different Dual Band Device for RF then I can link a button to each function.

Archived