Is my ISY-994i failing?

KHouse

I've had my setup for exactly 3 years.  Trouble free except for a couple anciliary pieces to the ISY/Insteon, and now running into trouble with the ISY itself.  Unfortunately, I'm not very smart about these things, so all of my install, setup, programming, etc...is purely from following directions on this site, online, etc.  So thanks for all the info on here up front!!

Setup Includes:

- ISY-994i  (Never any issues before this other than my programming errors)

- Insteon + First Alert Smoke/Carbon (w/Smoke Bridge) - Small setup, maybe a total of 13 pieces.  (Never any issues)

- Elk M1 w/maybe 15 pieces (Never any issues, still no issues, continues to work on eKeyboard when the ISY is down)

- eKeyboard running on iPad and iPod touch to control the alarm and home automation.  (always issues with it freezing when Apple needs some update and eKeyboard has to be restarted...pain in the butt as it happens maybe twice per month, but nothing much I can do about that unless they fix eKeyboard so that pop-ups from Apple don't "freeze" it.)

- MobiLinc for iPhone control.  Same issue, when eKeyboard cannot connect to ISY, MobilLinc is not connected either.

A week or so ago eKeyboard wasn't connecting to the ISY.  Thought it eKeyboard freezing up, but when I came home from work, none of the "sunset" programs had worked.  Figured something must be wrong with the ISY or PLM.  Unplugged the ISY, waited a minute, plugged it in, and everything worked normal.  Something triggered the ISY to freeze up?  Worked for another day or two, and then same thing, none of the programs were running and eKeyboard/MobiLinc couldn't connect to the ISY.  Did the same procedure, unplugged the ISY, waited a minute, plugged it back in, and everything works again.

Also, when the ISY comes back online after being restarted, I get a text/email about FIRE ALARM - ALL OTHER.  The time of that even is the same time I restart the ISY.

Can anyone help with what might be causing the ISY to "freeze"?  To be honest, I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this.  A search on here and Google doesn't lead to any answers on this type of "freezing" of the ISY.

Is the PLM the original one?

Is the LED on the side of the PLM going real dim or out?

Can you post the production and date code information on the back of the PLM?

Any 2413S PLM Hardware below 2.0 and over two years old. Are known to fail and cause all kinds of issues.

In the Tools tab, Diagnostics. What does the PLM Status/Info say?

Any 2413S PLM Hardware below 2.0 and over two years old. Are known to fail and cause all kinds of issues.

Brian, thanks for helping with this.

To answer your questions:

*Yes

*Green LED.  Looks solid, strong light output, doesn't look dim at all.

*9413S  V1.B     1343  (Is this the date code?  Don't see any date on the back)

*Status says:  Connected

I restarted the ISY this morning, and everything works normal now.  If the system stops working again (like I assume it probably might), then I'll check the status before restarting the ISY and update here.

1343 means it was produced on 2013 of the 43rd week of that year. More than likely the 2413S PLM is failing - You can also do a PLM Link Table compare and see how many links are present. If it has something crazy low such as 0-20 links you know the PLM is dying.

Also, if you find out the PLM is indeed failing and you believe you have the skills to repair it you can follow this thread: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

Lastly, as a measure of fail over you can also install the firmware that won't place the ISY Series Controller into safe mode when it doesn't see or detect the 2413S PLM: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19961-release-454-is-now-official/page-1 Under instructions 2m1

ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM 

1343 means it was produced on 2013 of the 43rd week of that year. More than likely the 2413S PLM is failing - You can also do a PLM Link Table compare and see how many links are present. If it has something crazy low such as 0-20 links you know the PLM is dying.

Also, if you find out the PLM is indeed failing and you believe you have the skills to repair it you can follow this thread: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

Lastly, as a measure of fail over you can also install the firmware that won't place the ISY Series Controller into safe mode when it doesn't see or detect the 2413S PLM: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/19961-release-454-is-now-official/page-1 Under instructions 2m1

ISY 994i ZW, Z, or ZS Series (Z-Wave/Zigbee and/or if you do NOT have a PLM 

Thanks Teken.

Michel had me upgrade the software version to 4.5.4...so I'm there now.  What does this firmware do / why would I want the ISY to go into safe mode if the PLM fails?  (what does this accomplish)

Also, how do I go about adding that firmware to my ISY?

Thanks for the help!!

If you upgraded to 4.5.4. The procedure is in the original post you downloaded it from.

I believe when a firmware release goes from Beta to Released version. The ISY994i checks its firmware against the released version and installs it automatically. When the Administrative Console is opened.

If you want to purchase add on modules like the Network Module or Portal Module, update to ISY994i Pro version.

From the Help Tab Purchase Modules choice.

UDI enables the new  modules remotely and you don't have to install added modules.

Thanks Teken.

Michel had me upgrade the software version to 4.5.4...so I'm there now.  What does this firmware do / why would I want the ISY to go into safe mode if the PLM fails?  (what does this accomplish)

Also, how do I go about adding that firmware to my ISY?

Thanks for the help!!

Hello KHouse,

My apologies if I was unclear in my last post to you. The user has two options when installing the firmware - one is for the standard Insteon / X-10 and the other is for controllers with Z-Wave / ZigBee. The firmware for Z-Wave / ZigBee has a great feature where if the 2413S PLM should fail it will not put the controller into *Safe Mode*.

Meaning anyone using the standard firmware should the PLM fail or if there is a power failure and one item comes up before the other.

The system would declare a fault and thus possibly be in *Safe Mode*. Using the Z-Wave / ZigBee version of the firmware will avoid that issue should it arise.

Make sense? 

Archived