Collecting and Logging Temperature and Humidity

bbuchanan99

You're just grasping at straws here . . . In your mind what exactly are the basic differences if not to measure environmentals?!?

One measures only 1 item and the other measures several items.

And I'm not grasping at anything. Just stating facts.

I'm Gary Funk and I approved this message.

Very strange.

Let's satisfy both arguments with a DS18B20 1-wire sensor into the provided input on the bottom of the CAO Reed Tag see post #5.

There is a reason the OP and you have installed a ventilation fan in your attic. There is also a reason some placed electronics in their cooled attic space to monitor it.

BTW: your momma looked OK to me. :)

I don't follow what you mean about the use of a attic fan.

One measures only 1 item and the other measures several items.

And I'm not grasping at anything. Just stating facts.

Oh I follow kind of like jack of all trades master of none. ultimately the choice is the OP's and anyone who understands no one uses these tags in any serious industry vs 1 wire.

That is a fact . . .

I don't follow what you mean about the use of a attic fan.

If it never gets that hot in a person's attic, why did you spend the money to install an attic fan?

also

Attics shouldn't get hot enough to destroy electronics after a properly running attic ventilator is functioning.

What happens when it fails?  Do we now replace both?

You can't make a claim that attics never get hot enough to ruin electronics based on your own attic with a ventilation fan running for a reason.

Oh I follow kind of like jack of all trades master of none. ultimately the choice is the OP's and anyone who understands no one uses these tags in any serious industry vs 1 wire.

That is a fact . . .

No argument on that. You based an agreement on price.

If it never gets that hot in a person's attic, why did you spend the money to install an attic fan?

also

Attics shouldn't get hot enough to destroy electronics after a properly running attic ventilator is functioning.

What happens when it fails? Do we now replace both?

First as a proof of concept - next to reduce cooling costs due to thermal heat soaking. It had nothing to do with electronics in the attic this is all driven by my goal of reaching a NET Zero Passive Hause state.

Regardless of how much active / passive cooling is in a attic you can't fight thermal dynamics and Mother Nature.

The Tags are much easier and cheaper to set up and have native charting provided for them and the CAO Reed Tag takes a 1-wire sensor to accommodate the possible heat with the Tag mounted in a cooler space.

Just fasten a DS18B20 to a truss or

"...beam me up Scotty!"

Ohhh you thought I was talking to you?

OP walks away shaking his head,  never to come back again...

No argument on that. You based an agreement on price.

I'm not sure that would be the apt phrase I would use vs short term gain. Over long term investment with almost zero out of pocket expense using a 1 wire system after a properly executed install.

The Tags are much easier and cheaper to set up and have native charting provided for them and the CAO Reed Tag takes a 1-wire sensor to accommodate the possible heat with the Tag mounted in a cooler space.

Just fasten a DS18B20 to a truss or

"...beam me up Scotty!"

Ohhh you thought I was talking to you?

As I noted up above those are all great pros of the tag system.

LOL - I thought your comment was directed toward me! Use the quote feature damn it!

As I noted up above those are all great pros of the tag system.

LOL - I thought your comment was directed toward me! Use the quote feature damn it!

This has been a fine example of network data collisions, exemplified by a forum analogue. :)

Who the heck is emoji35, emoji13?

I'm just the guy who throws the boulder in the puddle to watch the ripples. OP wanted Humidity, Temp and Charts. I gave my opinion then we got the typical Teken rant as expected. I just dropped the mic and walked out. Lol Just busting your chops TPain!

I was counting Teken's words. It twern't no rant!

I hope that wasn't a typo just before the emoji.

• 3 months later...

At the risk of suffering unnecessarily, I must report on experimention with the Cao tags and a tag manager for a few weeks. I am impressed with these tiny devices. They are inexpensive and they do some amazing (for me) things. They have given me an easy way to be notified of postal mail delivery, humidity under my home and a backup device to report temperature from a remote location where I currently use a wireless Inseon thermostat (unreliable) for that task. I plan to use one in my attic this summer. I currently use an Insteon water sensor in an AC drip pan located in the attic and it has performed flawlessly in those temperatures. The setup of the tags is astoundingly simple. Are there more robust long-term solutions? Sure, but not everyone has the technological expertise nor the physical ability to install or manage those alternatives. For me the tags appear to be an ideal solution. I say go with whatever floats your boat.

I'm in the process of getting this set up. The easiest method (so far) has been to use the "Custom URL Calling" feature of the tags. Here's a link to the post that at least partially explains how I got them to work.

I prefer the logic capability of the ISY and central control of all my data and logic.

eg.

If

....Tag1.humidity >= 50%

AND

....Tag1.Temperature < 20.0C

AND

....from 9:00 AM

....to 4:30 PM (same day)

Then

....run ventilation

I don't think this and many other logics can be done without ISY being in control. I could just have bought a SH Hub for that :)

Archived