Is it possible to make an ISY scene behave like a device?

fasttimes

Keypad buttons are either on or off. Relay LEDs are either on or off no matter the load it's controlling. SwitchLinc dimmers show more LEDs as the level is increased. ToggleLinc dimmers have only one LED, so it's behavior may be different. I don't have any ToggleLincs to test.

Yes, I realize these things.  The quoted problem was that the keypad button (on and off only, as you remind us) was not ON.  I was relating that to a toggleinc (also, only on and off). 

Perhaps I miss your point.

THIS.

I always think of scenes as ISY scenes.  Insteon scenes are simply a grouping of insteon devices independent of the ISY controller , whereas an ISY scene does two things.  1) it assists you to setup an insteon scene and 2) allows you to execute an insteon scene via the ISY.

Yeah, The term "scene" has always been somewhat of a problem.

"Scene" is usually only an Insteon thing previously in this forum but with so many definitions from different cultures of people's backgrounds it willbecome more of a problem and require adjective clarifiers to get meanings across.

Thanks for the confirmation. Your description in your OP was very clear, anyway.

Yeah, The term "scene" has always been somewhat of a problem.

"Scene" is usually only an Insteon thing previously in this forum but with so many definitions from different cultures of people's backgrounds it willbecome more of a problem and require adjective clarifiers to get meanings across.

Thanks for the confirmation. Your description in your OP was very clear, anyway.

I also don't think it helps that smarthomes' definition of "scenes" has morphed over the years.  My impressions are that they are now using "links" and "groups". 

I also don't think it helps that smarthomes' definition of "scenes" has morphed over the years.  My impressions are that they are now using "links" and "groups". 

A group of links is a scene B)

Jimbo,

I am sorry for the insinuation. Your comment below was perhaps misunderstood on my part:

"It could be done if UDI chose to, and make it an option to control a scene as a group"

I took this as: UDI does not choose to do it.

Regardless, multi protocol scenes are supported in 5.0.x and thus this whole topic is moot. So, everyone, let's not let this one get more out of hand than it already has.

With kind regards,

Michel

In the Insteon world, a "scene" is a set of Insteon-compatible devices put into a particular, coordinated, programmed state at a ramp rate. Some devices might be on 100%, some 25%, some off, others somewhere in between, but the "scene" is all those devices at that particular level. Insteon achieves that by sending a "group on" message to a group devices previous linked as responders.

Insteon protocol also allows you to adjust a "group" of Insteon devices--hold the top of a paddle down and the "group" will brighten; hold the bottom and the group will dim; tap the bottom of the paddle to turn off; fast double-tap the top or bottom to turn everything 100% on or 0% off instantly. Note that you aren't actually brightening or dimming the scene--the scene is those devices at their programmed level--you are brightening or dimming the "group".

When you link devices to a controller, you are creating *both* a group and a scene. What the original poster is *really* asking for is a way to use Alexa to adjust an Insteon "group" proportionally to the values of a "scene".

As has been already mentioned, you can currently use Alexa to brighten and dim a group of devices (at a preprogrammed 9% increment), that just requires the Portal to issue bright/dim commands to an existing group, and all responders can react simultaneously with a minimum of signal traffic. The OP's request requires something altogether different--that would require the ISY to accept a percentage command, compute and round to a new percentage based on the level set in a scene, then send individual direct commands to each member of the group to set each to a new level.

Proportional control of a group certainly isn't impossible, but it isn't supported natively by Insteon hardware, so it would require substantially more computing and signal resources than any other operation. You have to weigh the cost/benefit of such a feature to decide its worth.

Archived