Admin Console Slow to make changes

mking0310

It is painfully slow add anything to scenes to make any changes to my ISY right now.  

to I realize calling something "slow" is open to interpretation.

It has been taking 3-4 minutes to perform tasks like, "Delete Scene" that contains no devices in the scene. 

I have disabled ALL programs.

I have disabled the Climate Module 

I've backed up and even restarted the ISY 

Firmware 4.5.1

UI 4.5.4

post-4260-0-95302900-1482363907_thumb.png

ISY-Events-Log.v4.5.1__Wed 2016.12.21 03.14.06 PM.txt

ISY Error Log.v4.5.1__Wed 2016.12.21 03.36.36 PM.txt

Besides the two possible culprits offered by Stu / Larry other things to consider is what is connected to the ISY Series Controller. Meaning if you have lots of network resources which are called to task. Whether it be inbound vs outbound if you have the ability to limit and control the send interval to the controller.

Its highly advisable to increase the send interval, have over lap in send / receive intervals, and limit persistent connections. Lastly, if you have lots of programs, variables, network resources, the time to back up, add, delete, and edit resources can take a considerable amount of time.

When I press on the *Programs* tab it can literally take 1-6 minutes for that tab to load. Often times a socket error will ensue and when that happens I already know the Admin Console will not render *Live Data* for very long if at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Morning,

Thanks everyone for the tips.

I updated the Firmware to match, hoping that it would resolve it. It hasn't.

I checked the program tab to see the table view, and no programs were running at the time. 

For the network resources, I could only find the timeout setting on each network resource item, but didn't see any intervals.  

The slowness occurs when I make any change to a scene or device. It will display a progress dialog that moves fairly quick, but then a second progress dialog appears and moves very slowly. 

Checking the event viewer, I couldn't determine what was really going on OR if there was anything that would show up to indicate an issue.

The error log showed something from days ago, but nothing during the time I was making a change.

post-4260-0-82334300-1484243514_thumb.png

post-4260-0-12655000-1484243927_thumb.png

Hi mking0310,

Everything in the Event Viewer is showing that ISY is trying to communicate with the INSTEON network. So, possible issues:

1. There are pending updates for certain devices (expand the tree and look for 1011 icons in the tree). In this case, as long as you do NOT fix those (right mouse click | Write updates to device), every time you do anything to INSTEON network will cause ISY to try and fix them on its own

2. The PLM could be failing OR there's a lot of noise. I think it's the latter since I see a DON from one of your devices. This said, you may want to reboot ISY and then go to Tools | Diagnostics | PLM Status/Info. If it says "Disconnected", then the PLM is dead. If not, you may want to move the PLM to another outlet and one which is not shared with other transformers and power supplies

With kind regards,

Michel

Thank you for all your help.  I tried it all except moving the PLM.

IT was the 1011.  The reason I had not updated them before, by pressing SET, is because I have 5 devices and only ONE of them is easy to get to. 

Hidden Sensors have to be unscrewed and pulled out of the door jam.

Some of my motion sensors are on the ceiling, thus a ladder is needed.  IT was a PITA.  But after updating all of them, the Console moves swiftly again.

Thank you!    

I wish there were a way to allow RF devices to update without being in set mode. I know the reason why ... but I have hacked mine to have dc power to them, not batteries, so I will never have to worry about them burning through batteries.  It would be awesome if there was a way to put them into a mode that allows them to be updated without the set mode.

Michael 

Thank you for all your help.  I tried it all except moving the PLM.

IT was the 1011.  The reason I had not updated them before, by pressing SET, is because I have 5 devices and only ONE of them is easy to get to. 

Hidden Sensors have to be unscrewed and pulled out of the door jam.

Some of my motion sensors are on the ceiling, thus a ladder is needed.  IT was a PITA.  But after updating all of them, the Console moves swiftly again.

Thank you!    

I wish there were a way to allow RF devices to update without being in set mode. I know the reason why ... but I have hacked mine to have dc power to them, not batteries, so I will never have to worry about them burning through batteries.  It would be awesome if there was a way to put them into a mode that allows them to be updated without the set mode.

Michael 

Hello Michael,

Your wish has come true - You simply need to create a program to monitor the *Heart Beat* for those devices having that node and select (Write Device Update) in the *Then* section. The motion sensors can be simply be updated once you walk past the FOV of the sensor.

NOTE: This works on most products but a wait from 0-3 seconds may be needed to allow proper remote updating.

Archived