DIN rail turned on by itself.

Hello All,

Do not know how to figure out why switches turn on by themselves. Usually I will occasionally find an outside light controlled by an older iconlinc in the on position. No big deal, when it's found on, then I just shut it off.

So this morning when we arrived home from a New Year's party, I found my Spa pump controlled by a DIN module running even though my ISY was not showing on status nor my Agave app wasn't showing it on either. Through my phone, I turned it on and then turned it off which shut off my pump.

This morning I checked my logs and only saw when I turned it off myself but did not see any activation of the pump. It was raining in my area but the only thing that gets wet is my Insteon motion sensor in the backyard. The only result from that is my backyard light turns on.

My ISY is at the latest revision 4.5, I believe. Any insight as what could cause this? Or any other ideas?

Let me know if you need any other info.

Regards,

Robert

Given the frequency of this type of mismatch, it seems like it would be helpful for the UI to query the ISY at boot and report the mismatch proactively. It could either be a modal popup with instructions on what up do, or a static line in the admin console with a link to how to get the version. This two-part download is not typical and it's not surprising that users overlook it.

Given the frequency of this type of mismatch, it seems like it would be helpful for the UI to query the ISY at boot and report the mismatch proactively. It could either be a modal popup with instructions on what up do, or a static line in the admin console with a link to how to get the version. This two-part download is not typical and it's not surprising that users overlook it.

That is a great idea and would encourage you to place that same suggestion in the *Product Request* forum: http://forum.universal-devices.com/forum/6-product-requests/

Just curious, as where is the UI updates when the firmware updates are pushed? You would assume when the firmware is updated, that it would push out the UI update at the same time. Where do you find the UI updates also,as I didn't find them where the other updates are located?

Regards,

Robert

They're both listed in the release notes, along with the dashboard (which is yet another versioned component). The 'UI' is listed as the 'admin console', I believe.

Everything is in the post, but it's a long post and users generally aren't used to having to collect several new components *and* clear the Java cache to get everything current. It's way too complicated and not very user friendly.

Information Only: It should be noted that there are specific instances where a person would be using a different Admin UI. One use case is where a person is seeing errors in the 99 Series Controller due to a deprecation in SSL / TLS cipher encryption. UDI has replied back a specific UI should be used to allow access and control.

Another reason would be to compensate for various computer OS software releases. 

Just curious, as where is the UI updates when the firmware updates are pushed? You would assume when the firmware is updated, that it would push out the UI update at the same time. Where do you find the UI updates also,as I didn't find them where the other updates are located?

Regards,

Robert

It's not really an update....

When you use a Java app, it gets cached on the access device.

When ISY is updated, the app is also updated (on the ISY), but until you clear the Java cache the old version will still be used... There is no way (from what I understand) for Java to do this automatically.

I do like the pop-up on mismatch idea though!

It's not really an update....

When you use a Java app, it gets cached on the access device.

When ISY is updated, the app is also updated (on the ISY), but until you clear the Java cache the old version will still be used... There is no way (from what I understand) for Java to do this automatically.

I do like the pop-up on mismatch idea though!

If ISY can detect the need for a pop-up it should be able to force an update from itself onto the java engine.

Surely java must have a version detection system in it's bloatware.

Even if Java can be auto updated, clearing the cache is an ISY update requirement, updating Java is not.

BTW, if Java could be auto updated, then I wouldn't get a message that an update is available or at least Java would have that option as some other apps do.

We were discussing updating the Admin Console for ISY, written in java, not the java engine itself. :)

The reason the cache has to be manually cleared is only because the Admin Console code doesn't (or can't) do it itself.

If java code can delete every file on your HDD and send emails to your whole contact list, it should be able to clear old cache files.

Well since this happened, I did update the UI after clearing the Java cache. I then had my PLM fail, but luckily it was still under warranty.

Smarthome replaced it with a new modified one that they are now sending out. Supposedly these have a better capacitor in them and are made to last longer from now on. I sure hope so as this is my fourth one in 4 years.

Not too sure if that was directly related to my DIN relay activating itself. But now I have an IOLinc that has failed to work. If I query it, it seems to communicate, but if I try to turn it on, it fails to communicate again.

I added a range extender on the same circuit as the IOLinc, but it did not help. Just another device I may need to replace. Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards,

Robert

The range extenders are primarily RF devices that pass signals they receive to the powerline. A common procedure is to plug the range extender into the I/O Linc pass through outlet.

Archived