Can't get notifications through aol or gmail.....

sorka

I don't not have a static ip address on my ISY-99.

First, I have notifications working through HomeSeer just fine using aol directly. smtp.aol.com:587 user name and password. Using the exact same settings in the ISY....nothing.

I also tried gmail, which although doesn't work directly from HomeSeer does work through Stunnel which was needed because gmail requires TLS.

Using the settings:

smtp.aol.com

port 587 and port 465

user@gmail.com

password (quadruple checked).

TLS checked.

Nothing. I've tried variations. Different ports. Just the user name without the @gmail.com, etc.

Nothing.

Hi sorka,

Why is it smtp.aol.com if you are trying gmail?

The first thing you have to do is to ENABLE POP in your gmail account without which nothing will work. If you wish, you can test using the following account:

server: smtp.gmail.com

port: 587

user id: isyalerts@gmail.com

password: holamola

TLS: checked

I am not sure why ISY does not work with AOL especially if it uses regular auth login.

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't not have a static ip address on my ISY-99.

First, I have notifications working through HomeSeer just fine using aol directly. smtp.aol.com:587 user name and password. Using the exact same settings in the ISY....nothing.

I also tried gmail, which although doesn't work directly from HomeSeer does work through Stunnel which was needed because gmail requires TLS.

Using the settings:

smtp.aol.com

port 587 and port 465

user@gmail.com

password (quadruple checked).

TLS checked.

Nothing. I've tried variations. Different ports. Just the user name without the @gmail.com, etc.

Nothing.

Sorry, that was simply a cut and paste typo. In the gmail case, I'm using smtp.gmail.com.

And of course I've enabled POP otherwise I wouldn't be able to use send email through gmail using HomeSeer as I thought I was pretty clear about being able to do in my original post.

To summarize. Through either HomeSeer or Stunnel, I'm able to send email through aol or gmail just fine using SMTP.

I'm not able to send email through either using the ISY.

Sorry, that was simply a cut and paste typo. In the gmail case, I'm using smtp.gmail.com.

And of course I've enabled POP otherwise I wouldn't be able to use send email through gmail using HomeSeer as I thought I was pretty clear about being able to do in my original post.

To summarize. Through either HomeSeer or Stunnel, I'm able to send email through aol or gmail just fine using SMTP.

I'm not able to send email through either using the ISY.

OK. I finally figured it out. It had nothing to do with the email configuration. When I came back in to the conifiguration screen after after a reboot, I realized that the recipients I'd added were no longer there. It then occured to me that you need to push the save button under the recipient list.

Before, I'd added the recipients and they were always there even when leaving and returning to the screen, so I never figured I had to push the save button. Once I realized they were missing, I realized there was also a save button for the recipient list. Once I re-added the emails and pressed save, everything started working fine.

Perhaps the error dialog could say something other than fail and simply state that there were no recipients?

sorka, would you be kind enough to use the account settings in the previous post and let me know?

You can also look in your logs for errors starting with -5000x. They will give me clues as to what's causing the problems you are experiencing.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK. I finally figured it out. It had nothing to do with the email configuration. When I came back in to the conifiguration screen after after a reboot, I realized that the recipients I'd added were no longer there. It then occured to me that you need to push the save button under the recipient list.

Before, I'd added the recipients and they were always there even when leaving and returning to the screen, so I never figured I had to push the save button. Once I realized they were missing, I realized there was also a save button for the recipient list. Once I re-added the emails and pressed save, everything started working fine.

Perhaps the error dialog could say something other than fail and simply state that there were no recipients?

• 1 year later...
sorka, would you be kind enough to use the account settings in the previous post and let me know?

You can also look in your logs for errors starting with -5000x. They will give me clues as to what's causing the problems you are experiencing.

With kind regards,

Michel

I've tried these settings, my own gmail settings, verizon settings. Nothing works. I keep getting a -50001 Mail Server Failure [Connection Failed] when I test. I have 2 recipients in my list. Running 2.7.10 on an ISY 26. I can access my ISY from remote, so I know it can connect. If I try different settings, I get an AUTH rejected error. Help.

Hello murrolems,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. If you have Verizon Fios with an ActionTec router, then you are one of the few where, for some reason, ISY is not given access to the outside world. We are trying to resolve this issue as we speak but it's quite difficult to find someone knowledgeable at Verizon.

In one case, the parental controls were applied to ISY and that's why ISY could not get to the outside world. But, in 2 other cases, no matter what we tried, we could not figure out what's causing the problem.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello murrolems,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. If you have Verizon Fios with an ActionTec router, then you are one of the few where, for some reason, ISY is not given access to the outside world. We are trying to resolve this issue as we speak but it's quite difficult to find someone knowledgeable at Verizon.

In one case, the parental controls were applied to ISY and that's why ISY could not get to the outside world. But, in 2 other cases, no matter what we tried, we could not figure out what's causing the problem.

With kind regards,

Michel

I do have FIOS, but I'm not sure if it's an ActionTec router (probably is though). I'll have to check when I get home. Is there something I can try with the parental controls? Thanks for the prompt reply.

Hi again,

Unfortunately we have not yet found any solution whatsoever for this issue. We do have 1000s of customers on Verizon FIOS and without any issues except for 3 cases (including yours).

Would you be kind enough to let me know what else you have connected to your network?

With kind regards,

Michel

What do you mean "what else you have connected"? I just have a PC, an Ooma telephone router and a few wireless clients.

I should also note that I couldn't get this to work with verizon's smtp server settings either. Is there something I can change on my router?

Hi murrolems,

I was just trying to figure out if there was any common devices between the scenarios where ISY cannot get to the outside world. And, yes, it does include getting to Verizon's SMTP servers as well.

Did you try checking the Parental Control?

With kind regards,

Michel

I haven't tried that, I'll look into it tonight. Anything special I should be looking for?

Maybe no connection, but I had so much trouble with Panasonic cameras and an Ooma phone that I had to send the Ooma back. What a shame as the Ooma was a fantastic phone. There was some sort of conflict with the two. I tried utilizing QoS on my router and that made no differennce. I have no idea whether this is an issue with your ISY, but I thought I'd throw in my 2c.

aLf

It turns out that both the ISY and the ELK M1 (with the ethernet expander) couldn't send mail on my network. It all worked until I got FIOS installed. After investigation, it turns out that both the ACTIONTEC and WESTELL routers are blocking the SMTP communciation over the router. If you look in the firewall log it has something to do with the header. It doesn't matter what SMTP server you use (gmail, verizon, anything) the router is doing the block. Port forwarding, triggering, etc don't solve the problem.

My PCs can all send SMTP just find with any account. I used a command line sendmail tool to test and had no problems.

So, I set up a SMTP relay on the PC and pointed both the ISY and the ELK M1 at my new local SMTP server. That server then relays and sends through GMail. It works perfectly.

I think this has something to do with network stack that both ISY and ELK use.

I believe this is a problem for everyone who uses FIOS with one of these modems.

It turns out that both the ISY and the ELK M1 (with the ethernet expander) couldn't send mail on my network. It all worked until I got FIOS installed. After investigation, it turns out that both the ACTIONTEC and WESTELL routers are blocking the SMTP communciation over the router. If you look in the firewall log it has something to do with the header. It doesn't matter what SMTP server you use (gmail, verizon, anything) the router is doing the block. Port forwarding, triggering, etc don't solve the problem.

My PCs can all send SMTP just find with any account. I used a command line sendmail tool to test and had no problems.

So, I set up a SMTP relay on the PC and pointed both the ISY and the ELK M1 at my new local SMTP server. That server then relays and sends through GMail. It works perfectly.

I think this has something to do with network stack that both ISY and ELK use.

I believe this is a problem for everyone who uses FIOS with one of these modems.

Thanks for the input. Is there anything I can do? Request a new router? I don't want to set up an SMTP relay. It's apparent that this is an issue with the ISY, is there anyway someone can do a compare on the STMP requests. Maybe using ethereal?

Hi cwilli, thanks so very much for the update.

Hi murrolems,

Actually, it would be quite fantastic if anyone with Verizon FIOS/ActionTec routers could capture the network traffic from ISY and an email client. Since none of us at UDI have Verzion FIOS, it would be quite impossible for us to debug this issue.

Rest assured that we are committed in getting this resolved and with your help, we can achieve this goal.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the input. Is there anything I can do? Request a new router? I don't want to set up an SMTP relay. It's apparent that this is an issue with the ISY, is there anyway someone can do a compare on the STMP requests. Maybe using ethereal?

When I push the test button in the ISY console this is what my WESTELL router captures in its security log (I x'd out my IP):

Feb 24 22:08:56 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Packet invalid in connection TCP 192.168.1.6:10000->74.125.127.109:587 on eth1 [repeated 2 times, last time on Feb 24 22:09:02 2010]

Feb 24 22:08:54 2010 Outbound Traffic Connection closed : UDP 96.240.xxx.xx:1024 <-->96.240.xxx.xx:1024 [68.238.128.12:53] DNS id: 6454 eth1 Route Outgoing INVALID FP-CAP

Feb 24 22:08:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Packet invalid in connection TCP 192.168.1.6:10000->74.125.127.109:587 on eth1

Feb 24 22:08:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Accepted Traffic - Wireless Broadband Router initiated traffic UDP 96.240.xxx.xx:1024->68.238.128.12:53 on eth1

Feb 24 22:08:53 2010 Outbound Traffic Connection opened : UDP 96.240.xxx.xx:1024 <-->96.240.xxx.xx:1024 [68.238.128.12:53] eth1 Route Outgoing

Is there a good way to capture more detail between ISY and the router. I installed netmon and tried using netstat but couldn't make heads or tails of anything.

I have the exact same problem with my ELK M1 and FIOS. I found this thread over on cocoontech the explains the problem. Is it possible ISY suffers from this as well?

http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9027

Hi cwilli,

Thanks so very much!!! These are indeed the same symptoms as what we have seen.

Thankfully, we have our own operating system and thus can make the necessary changes. The only issue is that we have to make sure this change is not going to break anything else.

In any case, please do send me (tech@universal-devices.com) and email so that you will be put on the list for testing the firmware as soon as we have it implemented.

Thanks again and with kind regards,

Michel

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

My ISY 99 notifications stopped working over a year ago for no apparent reason. I've tried everything mentioned in all the blogs and nothing worked.

I *finally* came across this which fixed the issue:

"The first thing you have to do is to ENABLE POP in your gmail account without which nothing will work."

It was a Google mail issue and NOT ISY.

Google's Directions:

http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer. ... wer=105694

Thanks!

James

• 2 months later...

I have tried my own gmail account as well as the test account isyalerts@gmail.com and I keep getting the error message "Mail Server Failure" [Connection Failed]

I'm using Comcast Broadband, and there are no firewall rules or router rules in place. I'm not sure what to look for or where to go next.

My recipients list had 3 different groups but I have removed them and added just one email address. *Yes, I saved*

Archived