New Motion Sensor Info

jgcharlotte

Nice find! Thank you

• Interesting that the message repeats are USB only. If swapped with a current model unit, and left battery powered, I wonder how many ALL ON users might be helped with this?

• External set up button... that will help some when tweaking scenes, or factory resetting a related switch/device

• Still indoor/out door... I hope that the precision of the fit of plastic components has been reviewed and improved. It took me  few years to learn to superglue over the right joints to keep the rain out of the current model.

• Sensor / Alarm grade CR123A battery... that should keep it happy for a few years and avoid a lot of latter climbing... though the page says 6 - 18 month battery life... hmmm. Since I have a number of them for my SimpliSafe sensors, it makes the argument for rechargeable.

This sounds promising, but not going to lie, I am always a bit skeptical about new products. It won't say and we won't know ahead of time if it will misbehave on low battery. Will it be the same interface, or be yet another new API and UDI will have to wait to get it so it can be used? No manual yet.....

If its clear that it can be installed on the ISY and no surprises in the manual, I will put one side by side with my existing under deck 'critter detector' and see how it fairs

Paul

d35e3cf9cbbf4717915134c25aec6808.jpg

6d5da3a196ed154ce56a494bcb41aa9d.jpg

I think it's safe to say the latest MS will be a great seller.

=========================

The highest calling in life is to serve ones country faithfully - Teach others what can be. Do what is right and not what is popular.

I'll wait to see how it works.... Have had some issues with new products.  Any idea when ISY might have it in their system?

External set button...FANTASTIC.

I also like the USB ability to power and repeat messages BUT most of my applications don't have me near a power source.   Bummer.

Looking forward to reports once they come out.

I am hoping to see this included into the 4.XX branch instead of the 5.XX branch. As several Insteon devices are present only on the 5.XX like the alert module / Insteon siren.

Perhaps 5.09 Beta will be first release to show case all  three . . .

I have repeatedly complained about having to take the old unit down and detach the back simply to put it into linking mode. Thanks, Smarthome.

If user testing proves solid, these will join my arsenal.

And you thought the *Insteon Wish List* wouldn't make a difference!

Ha - They heard your plea and made it so . . .  :mrgreen:

NOTE: You could have also used the write update device via programs to make remote changes and simply walked past the sensor to wake it up and push the pending writes.

I was just reading about this detector this morning, and came here to ask the questions that have had almost all of them already been answered!  I was considering the motion detectors from insteon,but hearing about the fun before with them, I was going to go with the Elk-6030 http://www.elkproducts.com/products/elk-6030-two-way-wireless-pir-motion-sensor since I have a Elk M1 Gold connected to my ISY994.  Has anyone seen both motion sensors work, and would offer some pros and cons?

Thank you!

I believe its fair to say using a true security sensor with all the other attributes it comes with is a much better route to follow. Going the elk route you would have low battery, fault, tamper, heart beat, RF interrupt detection, etc

@Teken Thank you for the response, so probably having a mix would be a good idea.  Using the Insteon for lighting automation, and the Elk for security and lighting, since the price difference is significant.

I would think just using the one sensor unless size, looks, and placement is the real issue. Since you have a very tight integration of the ELK to Insteon via the elk module the entire Insteon network is at your beck and call.

As you noted if the costs for one ELK sensor is large enough a compromise to meet that value target does make sense. My view is if and when you can use a certified UL / cUL device for security and it offers home automation features it makes sense to follow that route.

Wonder how the big the difference in "operating environments" will play for these new ones mounted outside during the winter (in areas where the temp drops below the specs).

Older one:
Indoor / Outdoor, 0 to 120°F.

Newer one:

Indoor / Outdoor, 32 to 104º F

Wonder how the big the difference in "operating environments" will play for these new ones mounted outside during the winter (in areas where the temp drops below the specs).

Older one:

Indoor / Outdoor, 0 to 120°F.

Newer one:

Indoor / Outdoor, 32 to 104º F

I believe there are quite a few people who have pretty much abused the hardware in extreme temperatures. That would include yours truly as mine are in sub arctic weather and haven't skipped a beat. Having said this I don't lay blame to any of the hardware that fails prematurely as its well outside of the stated operating temperatures.

post-1970-0-20718200-1484765195_thumb.png

I have had two Insteon MSes fault and sent erroneous motion detected signal while I was away for extended times and could not do anything to investigate.

When I a security system subscriber I never had one of my 6? wired-in DSC MSes fault ever.

This is what I am being told by professionals also. they all may do a good job of detection but it's the faulted detection that is the problem. You are half way around the world....now what do you do?

Since then I have instituted a two or greater before taking level 5 action.

Also you will find that MSes for intruder detection (surprise!) will not be placed in the same locations as HA MSes.

And you thought the *Insteon Wish List* wouldn't make a difference!

Ha - They heard your plea and made it so . . .  :mrgreen:

NOTE: You could have also used the write update device via programs to make remote changes and simply walked past the sensor to wake it up and push the pending writes.

I did not know the "write update" feature was operative without the device being in linking mode.

I did not know the "write update" feature was operative without the device being in linking mode.

You have several options depending upon the hardware in use. For the motion sensor your only option is to walk past the sensor and once detected the write device update will commence. For those hardware devices which include a heart beat node you can use that as the (IF) condition to initiate the very same.

Obviously using the heart beat requires you to wait the customary 24 hours to lapse. Lastly, depending upon hardware / firmware in place for the device a wait of 0-3 seconds may be required to allow the remote write to happen correctly. 

Not exactly. The device only needs to be activated while updates are pending. You can also create a program to do it.

BR Courtyard Sensor (Open/Close Sensor)

If

Control 'BR / Devices / BR Courtyard-Opened' is switched On

Then

Set 'BR / Devices / BR Courtyard-Opened' Write Device Updates

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

EX Side Door Sensor (Motion Sensor)

If

Control 'EX / Devices / EX Side Door-Sensor' is switched On

Then

Set 'EX / Devices / EX Side Door-Sensor' Write Device Updates

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Also just to add one more data point for those having the older leak sensors / open close sensors. You will need to include the on-off heart beat node as some firmware sent a off instead of a on. Including both will increase the chance of success but keep in mind all of this highly depends upon a strong Insteon RF mesh being present.

Anyone using Belias's most excellent Leak Sensor program would already know if the device was in proper RF range anyways.

Hello all,

This motion sensor reports as the old one in both 4.x and 5.x branches. So, have tested the motion ... dusk/dawn and low bat have not yet been tested.

With kind regards,

Michel

so did I read this right? As long as you are running 4.x or 5.x these new motion sensors will work? I realize dusk/dawn and low bat haven't been tested but the base functionality will work? So these new motion sensors have the same internal model number?

Thanks

Jim

Archived