Monitoring Temperature/Humidity

smokegrub

While there are ways to monitor temperature in freezers/refrigerators/attics/residential crawl spaces and the like there is no Insteon device available that is designed for this purpose. This seems to me to be a great business opportunity for Smarthome and something that I and many others would purchase. If you agree, I encourage you to go to http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list and show your support. Recently announced improvements in the motion sensor seem to indicate Smarthome listens to user needs/wants. A device meeting this need and a robust PLM as advocated by Teken at the subject site would be welcome.

Ageed that the lack of continuous temp/humidity reading from insteon products has been annoying. The technical aspects of it are supported today in the insteon thermostat... multiple device nodes for temp (C of F) and humidity. A sensor can be built around that capability with an alarm grade CR123 battery. I'm missing the continuous temp and humidity reading for my attic from the Applied Digital Oclelot and Bobcat sensors X10 i had 15 years ago.

This is the specific item to view / vote for temp and humidity posted by Teken is here:

http://forum.insteon.com/forum/main-category/new-insteon-device-wish-list/7354-multi-sensor 

You have my vote for a purpose built temperature / humidity sensor assuming Smartlabs doesn't decide to integrate the very same into an existing product like the motion sensor. It was really great to see the company take on several of my suggestions about the USB power and many others for the latest motion sensor.

I truly believe once full development of the API of the latest motion sensor is released to the developers the consumer will be very impressed with the Insteon motion sensor. 

Back on topic: I believe there is a market for dedicated Insteon temperature / humidity sensor. My only ask and wants is the sensors must be accurate, offer wide range, and high resolution. As I pro consumer I am willing to pay extra for something that is reliable, accurate, and capable in all aspects of environmental monitoring.

Lastly, like the latest motion sensor which offers USB power support I expect to have the same. The only difference is that this new product should use a hardwired power to compliment the battery and not supersede it. Like many here my home is and was inundated with countless battery operated devices. At this stage in my life I have no love for hardware that use batteries as the primary method to operate.

I don't need or want the long term costs, reliability, and maintenance issues that comes with having to use said batteries. 

Archived