Arming the Elk Remotely?

sanders2222

Is there any update on using the ISY remotely to arm the ELK in Away or Vacation mode?   Last I tried to sort this out an entry door needs to open/close after arming or the ELK will default to Armed Stay.  If you are away from home, that only leaves the option to arm Stay mode.

Using variables, I created a workaround to allow different programing options for the different armed statuses, but I would like it if these could sync with the correct arm status on the ELK.

I'm doing this now. There is an option in the ElkRP software that you may need to change to disable the Elk changing to stay mode. It is under Area>Arming Options>Auto Stay Mode after exit time if no violation. I use Locative to auto arm the alarm to Away mode when all of us leave the house. (I do NOT use it to disarm the house) It's been in operation for a while now and has never missed.

That is a feature that I believe can be disabled (at least I looked into it for away mode).

The idea is that if an inexperienced user or other accidentally pushes the away button but wasn't leaving it will default to stay mode.

Is that a feature you want keep while at home? Could maybe be changed programmatically / remotely?

I can look at manual later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm doing this now. There is an option in the ElkRP software that you may need to change to disable the Elk changing to stay mode.

Thanks for that feedback.  This is not a feature I was even away of. 

Is that a feature you want keep while at home? Could maybe be changed programmatically / remotely?

I can look at manual later.

It is kind of a neat feature to have if we are home.  Otherwise that introduces false alarms when a monitored interior door (e.g. to our garage) is opened. But not sure the ISY would have the ability to change this ELK feature.

I think you will need to decide if you want that feature enabled or not. I did not see a way to have Elk change this using its built-in automation rules. That would have allowed the ISY to trigger the rule, but it doesn't appear that's an option.

Thanks for that feedback. This is not a feature I was even away of.

It is kind of a neat feature to have if we are home. Otherwise that introduces false alarms when a monitored interior door (e.g. to our garage) is opened. But not sure the ISY would have the ability to change this ELK feature.

Could always change the door zone definition so stay doesn't trigger it.

You could always hook up a zone to a relay, define that zone as an entry door, then upon remote arming, use a program to have that relay open/close.

Clever. Would you envision the user goes through a 2 step process to arm then run the program, or does the Elk somehow know if it's been armed remotely?

Clever. Would you envision the user goes through a 2 step process to arm then run the program, or does the Elk somehow know if it's been armed remotely?

Assuming you are using ISY to accept the remote trigger, then have an ISY program first arm Elk, then wait a few seconds, and then it switches the relay on/off.

I'm not clear on why you are having this problem. What are you using to try and arm the Elk remotely?

The ISY has a built in app that can be used, there are a few mobil apps that will work, depending on which mobil platform you are on, or a rest message can be sent.

I am on Android and use both Agave and Home Alarm, both developed by forum members and work without issues.

I'm not clear on why you are having this problem. What are you using to try and arm the Elk remotely?

The ISY has a built in app that can be used, there are a few mobil apps that will work, depending on which mobil platform you are on, or a rest message can be sent.

I am on Android and use both Agave and Home Alarm, both developed by forum members and work without issues.

He says his system doesn't arm away unless he opens a door.

I don't have that problem.  If I hit "arm away" on Agave, the system arms to away mode, regardless whether I open any doors.  At least it says "armed away" on my keypads in the house.  I didn't test out the motion sensors and stuff, really didn't feel like setting off the sirens and getting a call from CS.

He says his system doesn't arm away unless he opens a door.

I don't have that problem.  If I hit "arm away" on Agave, the system arms to away mode, regardless whether I open any doors.  At least it says "armed away" on my keypads in the house.  I didn't test out the motion sensors and stuff, really didn't feel like setting off the sirens and getting a call from CS.

I understand this, that's why I am asking for clarification. My system works just like you are describing.

I think OP has this setting enabled...  It needs to be turned off to allow 'Arming Away' without then having to open/close an exit zone...  Not sure if the ISY can override this setting (it's off by default I believe - so OP likely turned it on during setup of the Elk system)..

post-2553-0-78139700-1488124427_thumb.png

(This is a setting in the ElkRP software - it can be configured from the keypad as well.)

• 1 year later...

I'm having the same problem - not able to arm the M1 using Agave. I looked at the "auto stay mode" setting as MWareman suggested above and it was already unchecked. Any other ideas what might be preventing Agave from arming? When I try to arm using Agave, I do the long press as required, and I get the "Update Succeeded" message, but the M1 doesn't arm and Agave still says "Disarmed - Ready to Arm".

Keypad arming works just fine.

I'm having the same problem - not able to arm the M1 using Agave. I looked at the "auto stay mode" setting as MWareman suggested above and it was already unchecked. Any other ideas what might be preventing Agave from arming? When I try to arm using Agave, I do the long press as required, and I get the "Update Succeeded" message, but the M1 doesn't arm and Agave still says "Disarmed - Ready to Arm".

You will need to start by figuring out if it’s an Agave/ISY or an ISY/Elk issue...

Can you arm/disarm from the ISY Admin console? Does Arming need a code?

20 hours ago, mikek said:

Just to be clear, when you say you are doing the long press, are you long pressing the larger Elk shield in middle of the screen? When you release the shield the screen should change to the type of arming you would like to perform, ie - Vacation, Away, Night ect.

Archived