Insteon New Motion Sensor 2844-222 2nd Gen

patryk.szady

All I need at this point is basic motion detection so I can control lights and send notifications.  Based on what I have read it sounds like I should be able to link my 2844-222 to ISY with 4.6.2.  I have a R3.1 3017 version of the sensor.  I have tried both start linking and New Insteon Device.  The start linking writes to the various devices but no new device shows up.  The new device where I enter the address, fails with unable to determine the engine with Auto Discover.  There is no 2844-222 device in the drop down, but there is a 2842-222. 

How are people getting the isy to link with the 2844-222?

You will select the older Motion Sensor now for enrollment. The hardware is still very much hobbled perhaps 5.0.11 Alpha will be forth coming by January 2018.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Is there any update to this? 

I'm currently running 5.0.10 and still can't seem to add it. Is there a work around? All I need to know if there's motion or not/ just the status of the motion sensor ON/OFF so I can run programs.. Is there also a way to add it to a scene right now?

Thanks,

Patryk

Hi all, 

I'm currently running 5.0.10 and still can't seem to add it. Is there a work around? All I need to know if there's motion or not/ just the status of the motion sensor ON/OFF so I can run programs.. Is there also a way to add it to a scene right now?

Thanks,

Patryk

The motion node is supported, the other nodes are not. Add it to the ISY using the previous motion sensor ID (2842-222)

Yes it can be added to a scene or a program

Hi all, 

Thanks,

Patryk

Stusviews sets his options using a SmartHome Hub and uses with ISY  until ISY gets full support added.

Thanks guys,

I really want to avoid using another hub for this and in 5.0.10 I get a message saying

"The following devices could not be added: 41.63.11. (2844-222) Insteon Motion Sensor II v.46 - Device is not supported."

I added this via Link Management -> Link a sensor -> Motion sensor and I chose 2842-222... seems like 5.0.10 detects the firmware on the remote devices now? 

I also tried Link Management -> Add insteon device and did not set Auto Discover device type. I again chose 2842-222 from the dropdown.

@Techman - which version are you using? Am I able to downgrade my isy firmware? Literally the only reason for me to use the alpha is the hope to use these sensors...

@Techman - which version are you using? Am I able to downgrade my isy firmware? Literally the only reason for me to use the alpha is the hope to use these sensors...

I'm running 4.6.2 which works with the motion sensor node, but only the MS default options are available.

• 5 months later...
On 11/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, jspoon said:

All I need at this point is basic motion detection so I can control lights and send notifications.  Based on what I have read it sounds like I should be able to link my 2844-222 to ISY with 4.6.2.  I have a R3.1 3017 version of the sensor.  I have tried both start linking and New Insteon Device.  The start linking writes to the various devices but no new device shows up.  The new device where I enter the address, fails with unable to determine the engine with Auto Discover.  There is no 2844-222 device in the drop down, but there is a 2842-222. 

How are people getting the isy to link with the 2844-222?

I had the same experience you did. I had read that the new guy heading up SmartLabs came from Universal. I was emcouraged. Not so much at this point.

• 4 weeks later...

NOT A GREAT BUSINESS MODEL TO SELL A PRODUCT 2844-222 THAT IS INCOMPATIBLE WITH YOUR EXISTING SYSTEM.  IF I KNEW THIS I WOULD NOT HAVE PURCHASED IT.  VERY DISAPPOINTED, WILL START THE RETURN PROCESS.

AN CANNOT FIND NEW 2842-222 FOR SALE.  THIS IS BAD FOR BUSINESS.  NOT SMART OF SMARTHOME.

I purchased the 2842-222 a couple of months ago and am using it with my isy994i running 4.6.2.  It’s performance is adequate, ie it can sense motion and trigger actions.  They do seem a little hard to come by now.  Amazon has them but only as ‘like new’ from 3rd party sellers.

2 hours ago, slimypizza said:

I purchased the 2842-222 a couple of months ago and am using it with my isy994i running 4.6.2.  It’s performance is adequate, ie it can sense motion and trigger actions.  They do seem a little hard to come by now.  Amazon has them but only as ‘like new’ from 3rd party sellers.

I like them. Have to put the jumper for limiting the sensing on a couple because they trigger from too far away.. I want to sense the driveway, not every car the goes by down street.

If you use them outside, it helps to put a small bead of super glue or silicone calk on the left, right and bottom were the bezel meets the housing, keeps the water out. I've had some outside for several years now, right out in the open.

Paul

• 4 months later...

I just installed a brand new Insteon 2844-222 (R3.1 0418).  It linked and comunicates fine to with my IS994i Pro v4.7.3.  The problem is that the ISY does not seem to capture any of the motion related events.  None appear in the event viewer and my programs are are never triggered.  The sensor is working fine and it doe controlled all devices linked to it via a scene in ISY.  Unfortunately my use cases involves a program and the ISY does not seem to respond to its motion events.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

14 minutes ago, NGC said:

I just installed a brand new Insteon 2844-222 (R3.1 0418).  It linked and comunicates fine to with my IS994i Pro v4.7.3.  The problem is that the ISY does not seem to capture any of the motion related events.  None appear in the event viewer and my programs are are never triggered.  The sensor is working fine and it doe controlled all devices linked to it via a scene in ISY.  Unfortunately my use cases involves a program and the ISY does not seem to respond to its motion events.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Post your program here so people can help you. R.Click on the program title in the program tree, select "copy to clipboard", then paste it here.

Have you watched the devices webpage in admin console, to see if the signal is being recorded by ISY? You probably have links messed up between ISY/PLM and the MS.

Program below and restore communications from event viewer.  The issue is that motion does not appear to generate traffic that the PLM(ISY) is seeing (no activity in the event viewer).  However devices linked in a scene through ISY to the MS respond perfectly.  I have reset and restored the device a couple of times with no luck .

<?xml version="1.0" ?><triggers><d2d><trigger><id>29</id><name>Z-Mudroom Motion</name><parent>1</parent><if><or /><device><status /><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>ST</control><action>255</action></device><or /><device><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>DON</control></device><or /><device><status /><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>ST</control><action>0</action></device><or /><device><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>DOF</control></device></if><then><notify content="2">2</notify></then><else></else><comment></comment></trigger></d2d></triggers>

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:18 PM : [  4D C8 CA 1] Preparing Device 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' for Restore

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:18 PM : [  4D C8 CA 1] Device 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' ready for Full Restore

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:18 PM : [All         ] Writing 32 bytes to devices

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:31 PM : [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    0 : 00F8 [E20141EB5E010001] Writing [E20141EB5E010001]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:32 PM : [PLM         ] Group   1 : Writing Responder Link matching [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    0 : 00F8 [E20141EB5E010001]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:32 PM : [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    1 : 00F0 [E20241EB5E010002] Writing [E20241EB5E010002]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:33 PM : [PLM         ] Group   2 : Writing Responder Link matching [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    1 : 00F0 [E20241EB5E010002]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:34 PM : [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    2 : 00E8 [E20341EB5E010003] Writing [E20341EB5E010003]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:35 PM : [PLM         ] Group   3 : Writing Responder Link matching [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    2 : 00E8 [E20341EB5E010003]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:35 PM : [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    3 : 00E0 [0000000000000000] Writing [00..............]

Fri 10/26/2018 09:50:36 PM : [4D C8 CA 1  ] Link    4 : 00D8 : Writing High Water Byte

18 minutes ago, NGC said:

Program below and restore communications from event viewer.  The issue is that motion does not appear to generate traffic that the PLM(ISY) is seeing (no activity in the event viewer).  However devices linked in a scene through ISY to the MS respond perfectly.  I have reset and restored the device a couple of times with no luck .

<?xml version="1.0" ?><triggers><d2d><trigger><id>29</id><name>Z-Mudroom Motion</name><parent>1</parent><if><or /><device><status /><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>ST</control><action>255</action></device><or /><device><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>DON</control></device><or /><device><status /><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>ST</control><action>0</action></device><or /><device><node>4D C8 CA 1</node><op>=</op><control>DOF</control></device></if><then><notify content="2">2</notify></then><else></else><comment></comment></trigger></d2d></triggers>

<snipped>

Maybe try the program copy 'n paste again. 

23 minutes ago, NGC said:

It looks like you did a "Copy" or an "Export to Clipboard" instead of a "Copy to Clipboard".  "Copy to Clipboard" is much more readable.

Sorry just noticed the copy to clipboard - program below.  The NGC email address is what I use for all my programs and works fine.

Thanks.

Z-Mudroom Motion - [ID 001D][Parent 0001] If         Status  'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is On      Or Control 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is switched On      Or Status  'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is Off      Or Control 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is switched Off   Then         Send Notification to 'NGC' content 'ProgramName'   Else    - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')  

Z-Mudroom Motion - [ID 001D][Parent 0001] 
If
      Status  'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is On
    Or Control 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is switched On
    Or Status  'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is Off
    Or Control 'Z-Motion SII-Sensor' is switched Off

Then         
    Send Notification to 'NGC' content 'ProgramName'

Else
    - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') 

1 hour ago, NGC said:

Program below and restore communications from event viewer.  The issue is that motion does not appear to generate traffic that the PLM(ISY) is seeing (no activity in the event viewer).  However devices linked in a scene through ISY to the MS respond perfectly.

Insteon device to device communication has built-in retries that I'm not sure exists between the motion sensor and the ISY.  Additionally, the motion sensor is an RF device that relies on other devices to put its communication onto the powerline for it.  So perhaps the motion sensor is in an area that results in marginal communication.  What devices are near the motion sensor?  Have you tried moving the motion sensor to another location temporarily to see if its communication is picked up by the ISY?

That is indeed strange.  It's as if no link exists between the ISY and the motion sensor so that when the motion sensor sends a motion event the PLM ignores it.  Have you tried deleting the motion sensor from the ISY and then relinking it?  Have you tried factory resetting the motion sensor?  If not, you might try both of those things.

Or "restore" links.  Of course, the motion sensor must be awake in order for this to work.  

Is this the only motion sensor you have?  (Do the others work?)  ISY sees comms between all other devices just fine?

Can we assume that the PLM is a dual-band version?  Can we assume that the PLM is not plugged into a UPS or into a circuit that contains lots of electronic gadgets including UPS, computers, routers, power supplies, etc....?

Archived