Advice on thermostats

MarkJames

The Ecobee3 does not require the cloud. All of its features, except remote control, are available locally.

You can use an Ecobee3 as a regular programmable without an internet connection, yes.  

However, there's no local API, so no integration with Nodelink, etc.   That requires it to be connected to the internet/cloud.

I have read that the HomeKit (iOS) connection is local, but that's unpublished, and (I bet) secure/encrypted.

• 3 weeks later...

Another option since you have the Elk is an Aprilaire or HAI thermostat. I have the Aprilaire, and while it takes a few components to get it all hooked up, it's pretty robust and you can control it either from your Elk or the ISY (assuming you have the Elk module). It's connected via RS232/RS485 and is pretty robust, with zero cloud dependencies.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Another option since you have the Elk is an Aprilaire or HAI thermostat. I have the Aprilaire, and while it takes a few components to get it all hooked up, it's pretty robust and you can control it either from your Elk or the ISY (assuming you have the Elk module). It's connected via RS232/RS485 and is pretty robust, with zero cloud dependencies.

Thanks.

I already went ahead and got the ecobee.  I'm pretty happy with it - lots of functionality.  I share my HA efforts between ISY and Homeseer HS3.  HS3 has a plugin that fully controls the Ecobee so that's worked out really well.  You can get status and control all functionality of the thermostat as well as read occupancy and temperature data from the room sensors.  Doing so gives you the side benefit of adding 4 motion sensors and 4 room temperature sensors all at once!

mark

Since the Isy and Elk can control it, will I also see the temperature off of mobilinc similar to an Insteon thermostat?

Since the Isy and Elk can control it, will I also see the temperature off of mobilinc similar to an Insteon thermostat?

Can't answer that as I don't have Mobilinc. I know it's exposed under a different API than normal devices (it's not considered a node), but eKeypad can definitely see it. Agave for Android currently can't, though I hope that will change.

Archived