Sorry, I'm lost again...

I’m definitely too old to being playing with computers!  I was going merrily along using my ISY994I and Amazon Echo, and having a grand old time.  And then I did something stupid.  Don’t ask me what it was, since I don’t know!

Up until today, I’d click on the Isy icon on my desktop, some Java stuff would load, and I’d be presented with the Isy administrator logon screen.  I could then get to my devices, programs, etc.

Today, when I click on that same icon, Java stuff loads, and I get a small screen that says “ISY Finder: Not Found”, and I’m stuck.

Would some kind soul please tell me what I’m doing wrong, and how to possibly fix it?

Thanks for reading.
JLOB

"not found" means just that. The admin applet can't find the ISY on your network.

Do your ISY programs (if any) still work? Does Echo still do whatever you expect it to do with ISY?

Is the ISY plugged in?

Have you tried rebooting it? (Unplug, wait a few seconds, plug back in.)

Is the network cable connected?

Did you change anything with your network?

As mentioned, your computer is not finding your ISY.  

Possible reasons.

1) ISY is not connected to any network

2) Your computer is not connected to any network

3) The ISY and your computer are connected to different networks.

Since you posted here, it would seem that your computer is connected to a network

Does ISY still work with echo?  If so, ISY is connected to a network.

It is possible that you have a guest network and private network in your home as many ISP's provide that feature.  If so, you need to be certain that both ISY and your computer are using the same one.

Does ISY have the red error light on?  

OK.  Never gave the upgrade a thought.  I installed the Windows 10 Version 1703 upgrade on two of my systems yesterday.  System #1 worked perfectly.  ISY worked, as did everything else (so far!).  System #2 would no longer map to the network-attached drive.  Didn’t dawn on me that ISY is ALSO a networked device and now I’m fairly certain I have a network glitch.  I’m going to solve the glitch problem before I upgrade the other three systems in the house!

I DO appreciate the comments and queries.  It got me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

JLOB

OK.  Never gave the upgrade a thought.  I installed the Windows 10 Version 1703 upgrade on two of my systems yesterday.  System #1 worked perfectly.  ISY worked, as did everything else (so far!).  System #2 would no longer map to the network-attached drive.  Didn’t dawn on me that ISY is ALSO a networked device and now I’m fairly certain I have a network glitch.  I’m going to solve the glitch problem before I upgrade the other three systems in the house!

I DO appreciate the comments and queries.  It got me pointed in the right direction.

Thanks.

JLOB

I don't think a windows update would cause your issue.  My computers just recently accepted the latest windows update and there is no issue connecting.

You can also go to a web browser and enter you ISY's IP address and see if it brings up a response from your ISY.  Depending on your ISY firmware, this response might be a dead end since UD discontinued web browser access, but none the less, if it responds, then it is there and on the same network as you computer.  

You can also go to your router and look at the "connected devices" page that most have.  If you don't see your ISY, then this is your problem.

I don't think a windows update would cause your issue.  My computers just recently accepted the latest windows update and there is no issue connecting.

You can also go to a web browser and enter you ISY's IP address and see if it brings up a response from your ISY.  Depending on your ISY firmware, this response might be a dead end since UD discontinued web browser access, but none the less, if it responds, then it is there and on the same network as you computer.  

UDI didn't "discontinue web browser access".

Browser makers have been removing the ability to use Java plugins. So, if you are using one of the latest browsers that have banned them completely, you can no longer use the Admin console within a browser window.

In any case, ISY has the UDAJAX interface at it's base URL. It doesn't use Java.

(Actually, it's http://x.x.x.x/WEB/udajax.htm, but the base URL redirects to there.)

So, you can easily test to see if your ISY responds.

As well, ISY responds to PING. Use ping from the console of any desktop OS.

UDI didn't "discontinue web browser access".

Browser makers have been removing the ability to use Java plugins. So, if you are using one of the latest browsers that have banned them completely, you can no longer use the Admin console within a browser window.

In any case, ISY has the UDAJAX interface at it's base URL. It doesn't use Java.

(Actually, it's http://x.x.x.x/WEB/udajax.htm, but the base URL redirects to there.)

So, you can easily test to see if your ISY responds.

As well, ISY responds to PING. Use ping from the console of any desktop OS.

Be that as it may, this confuses the point.

ISY will respond to http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx in a browser where the x's are your ISY local IP address.

The OP needs to realize that if his ISY produces no response to that simple input, then his ISY is either not live, or not on the same network.  His version of windows should be irrelevant.  

he update from 1607 to 1703 absolutely DID cause my problems.  I always take a complete disk image before I do anything major.  I simply re-loaded the prior image (1607) and everything worked as before.  I then re-loaded the 1703 image to get back to the point where I can, hopefully, trouble-shoot the problem.

There are five systems in our home.  So far, two of them have been upgraded to 1703 (Creators Edition).  I can see, and log onto, four of the five systems from any other, including one of the two that’s been upgraded.  I can see ISY from these four.   I can manage ISY from these four.  I can ping ISY from these four.  

I can get to ISY from the problem system, but only through the browser.  I can get to, and change, the Amazon Echo data (Alexa) also.  I CAN’T get to ISY via the finder, and I can (yet) get to my network storage device (hung off the router)!

I know that this is, strictly speaking, no longer a UDI issue, and probably not useful in this forum, but I’m hoping that someone might have some suggestions as to where I go from here!

Thanks.
JLOB

Hi JLOB

Try this on one of the problem systems:

1. Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet  > Network Troubleshooter
    • Settings is the little gear icon, near the bottom far left of the screen
    • Reset is near the bottom of the list that is presented on the status screen
  2. If the above doesn't do it, then a Network reset on the same page
    Start  button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet Status > Network reset.
  • On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.
  • ​Note that the PC will restart
  • You'll have to re-set up things like drive mappings to your NAS. Typically that doesn't take long

Paul

I don't recommended being this eager to adopt updates. I always wait a couple weeks to see what problems are found in deployment that were somehow missed in beta. But at least you have a good backup discipline. The sad fact is MOST users have no backup at all.

I'm unclear from above if you can get to your network storage device from the troublesome computer. I don't know what you mean by "I can (yet)". Did you mean you CAN'T yet?

Is this computer particularly old or particularly unusual/unique/unpopular? Does it or does it not have any network connectivity? Did you try the network troubleshooter? (I am guessing here that Windows has some sort of network troubleshooter...)

My guess is that your network device is unsupported, or needs a 3rd-party driver, etc.

-----

Aside: I don't know why anyone is so excited about this update, or what the point of it is. "3D everywhere". Everybody needs to be able to create 3D content? No, they don't. Most people have no such need. IMO creation tools don't belong as part of an OS, and there are great 3D creation tools used by professionals, but they come at a price. I suppose now we will have a waterfall of amateur 3D animations.

It would be better if Microsoft concentrated their development efforts on security than on silly fluff.

If the dancing baby comes back, I'm moving off the grid! ;)

I always wait a couple weeks to see what problems are found in deployment that were somehow missed in beta. 

Since windows 8, the upgrades get installed eventually whether you want them or not. There was talk of MS returning the option to hold updates until the user decides when to apply them, but looking around now I don't see it. The choice, other than backups, is "Uninstall Updates". Granted I haven't had to use this very often, but its annoying. I'd rather the action center actually do something useful and pop a message up once a day saying "You have updates pending"

Since it does upgrade on its own eventually and it can pick some odd times, even outside of the window i define, I do these upgrades on Saturday mornings so I can watch for a few days before leaving town. 

Paul

Sorry.  There was a typo of sorts.  I can NOT get to my NAS on the problem computer, UNLESS I run it back to the previous levl of OS.

The system is a Toshiba Qosmio, Intel® Core™ i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30GHz with 16gb memory, and dual TB SSD's.

I'm going to try Paul's suggestions how.

JLOB

he update from 1607 to 1703 absolutely DID cause my problems.  I always take a complete disk image before I do anything major.  I simply re-loaded the prior image (1607) and everything worked as before.  I then re-loaded the 1703 image to get back to the point where I can, hopefully, trouble-shoot the problem.

Your OS would not affect your web browser being able to query ISY.  And indeed it sounds as if your browser does get a response from ISY.

This establishes that both your ISY and computer are both functioning on the same network.

Your issue with the OS would appear to be with the java based ISY finder and/or console.  Perhaps some added security features in windows?  I am running 1607 on my computers (which it just updated to about a week ago automatically).

Anyway, why not just use 1607 and forget about 1703?  Is there some feature in 1703 you need?  Inform UD of the 1703 issue and let them solve it while you run 1607.

Your OS would not affect your web browser being able to query ISY.  And indeed it sounds as if your browser does get a response from ISY.

This establishes that both your ISY and computer are both functioning on the same network.

Your issue with the OS would appear to be with the java based ISY finder and/or console.  Perhaps some added security features in windows?  I am running 1607 on my computers (which it just updated to about a week ago automatically).

Anyway, why not just use 1607 and forget about 1703?  Is there some feature in 1703 you need?  Inform UD of the 1703 issue and let them solve it while you run 1607.

OP states the problem computer has NO connectivity to the local network. Also cannot access his file server. Awaiting an answer as to whether it has connectivity to the Internet.

I don't think there is any UDI problem here. OP needs to establish general network connectivity on the problem machine first.

(I will update Windows 10 the next time I fire-up my Windows 10 VM. Maybe in a year. ;) )

OP states the problem computer has NO connectivity to the local network. Also cannot access his file server. Awaiting an answer as to whether it has connectivity to the Internet.

I don't think there is any UDI problem here. OP needs to establish general network connectivity on the problem machine first.

(I will update Windows 10 the next time I fire-up my Windows 10 VM. Maybe in a year. ;) )

OP stated 

I can get to ISY from the problem system, but only through the browser.  I can get to, and change, the Amazon Echo data (Alexa) also.  I CAN’T get to ISY via the finder, and I can (yet) get to my network storage device (hung off the router)!

So, I don't know how he can get to ISY via the browser if he has no network connection.

He also states that when he puts the older win10 back on his computer it works.  Soooooo, just do that!

Disable the Windows Update service.

Just remember to enable it when you want to catch-up on the updates.

How do you do this? I have Win 10 Pro, and I see no obvious way to completely shut off the updates. Do you have to do it from the registry? I can't stand it when updates are installed or my computer is rebooted without my consent.

It is listed in Services

Access Services Window Through Explorer

Click start.

Click Control Panel in the Microsoft Start menu. If your control panel in category view change it to Classic view (in Windows 7 and 8, select large icons view)

Click Administrative tools.

Click on the Services icon to open this Window.

• 1 month later...

I accessed the ISY admin console yesterday.

This morning, Windows 10 upgraded my OS to the Creator's edition.

Now, ISY Finder says "Not Found".

I can access the ISY via the Universal Devices web portal.

I can control my ISY via the UD web portal.

When I type "http://isy/" in Internet Explorer the browser finds the page http://isy/WEB/INDEX.HTM but no content is displayed. It is a blank page.

When I type "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (the ISY994 static IP address) in Internet Explorer the page opens and then asks me to login. The page is open but none of the menu items work EXCEPT !!!! I can now select "Open Admin Console".

The Admin Console opens and it works.

So... the windows update broke my ISY Admin console somehow.

I forgot to add...

I have the latest version of Java.

I cleared the Java cache (everything).

The "http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/admin.jnlp"creates an Admin icon which will launch the Admin Console... but the ISY Finder says "Not Found".

Update: I forgot to mention I am running firmware Insteon_UD994 v.4.5.4

The source for the page "http://isy/"(which is blank) is as follows...

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<!--
* Page redirector based on Cookie
* Copyright 2014, Benoit Mercier
-->
<html>
<head>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="jquery.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="cookie.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="isyport.js"></script>
    <script type="text/javascript">

var redirectUrl=["udajax.htm","had.htm"];  // UDAjax / HAD
    var redirectOption = 0; // Default Home page (0=UDAjax, 1 = HAD)

$(document).ready(init);
    var registeredUser=null;
    var currentISY=null;

function init() {
        initRegisteredUser();
        initCurrentISY();

var s = localStorage.getItem("redirectOption");
        if (s) {
            redirectOption = parseInt(JSON.parse(s));
        }

if (redirectOption >= redirectUrl.length) { // That would be an invalid option
            redirectOption = 0
        }

location.href = redirectUrl[redirectOption];
    }    
    </script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Hope this helps.

I upgraded within the last week and it works. Are you using the same virus software? I would re-download the admin console java applet. flush java cache and rerun it.

Paul

Paul, I don't know if this was for me but...

No changes to the PC except for the Windows update.

I use Norton Internet Security.

I tried your suggestion but it still does not work. It's not a super big deal. I have a fairly large installation but it is fine tuned and I don't go to the admin console often.

One thing... my default browser is Firefox. But that has not changed.

Archived