Insteon Irrigation Controller Recommendations

cam

About to landscape my place and I'd like to use an Insteon irrigation controller (Must work with ISY). Appreciate any recommendations.... I have 6 zones (With a few more planned later on) and don't need anything too fancy.

PS - I need the controller to have a feature that kicks on a pump when watering (Unless I could fire that event via the ISY and some other device)

I've used the ezflora and its pump/master valve feature. The Pump/master valve will be managed by the EZflora based on when you turn a zone on. You configure that with the ISY Admin Console, and Zone 8 is lost as a zone to operate the pump / master valve. Only 7 usable zone connections are left when configuring this.. giving you one extra zone for your future expansion. You can use multiple ezfloras; because my system has 14 zones and 2 master valves, I used 2 Ezfloras.  

You'll need to write your own ISY programs. I spent a lot of time on this, from using a rain sensor to cancel  an upcoming cycle, to programs to validate if either ezflora had failed. I also have the optional ISY Climate module, I used that to prevent an upcoming cycle if it was very likely to rain enough.  Instead of the rain sensor, you can purchase the ISY Irrigation Module which I believe also requires the optional ISY Climate module.

Paul

I went with the rain machine for my irrigation needs. While I cant control it from the ISY, it took much less programming and hopefully (time will tell) last longer than the ez flora. 

It does have a rest API so if ever needed, I could technically control it with the ISY as well. At this time however, its interface does all that I need it to do.

I went with the rain machine for my irrigation needs. While I cant control it from the ISY, it took much less programming and hopefully (time will tell) last longer than the ez flora. 

It does have a rest API so if ever needed, I could technically control it with the ISY as well. At this time however, its interface does all that I need it to do.

I've had the rainmachine for about a year, too. With V5, I integrate it with the ISY via Nodelink (see screenshots). Its a great solution. io_guy is great about considering enhancements, he's added several for me.I have a couple of functions that are helped by the ISY. To your point, it's does most of the work on its own as opposed to a lot of effort put into the ez.

post-5496-0-62902100-1496431953_thumb.png

post-5496-0-92048600-1496432058_thumb.png

post-5496-0-95650800-1496432448_thumb.png

Paul

Thanks for that info. I'm going to have to look into that since half the work is done now. Lol. It would be a good way integrate into my RTI

I've been trying to think of reasons to add it to the ISY but since I've gotten it, I've never felt the need to interfere with it. The only reason I could think of was if I needed to go into the yard.

With summer approaching, I may add a program that stops it the day of planned events/yard useage

Yep, a keypad key or remotelinc. I gave one to the lawncutting service so he can kill a program if its running when he shows up.

The rainmachine has direct alexa integration too. You turn it on settings / system settings and rediscovering, there is no skill to load. You can kill programs by name with it, which may suit your purpose. I've use individual zones to herd the squirrels and rabbits ;)

Archived