Admin Console Hangs

smokegrub

I am trying to access my ISY using its away IP. The Admin Console first displayed one device that it could not access and the screen froze. The only thing I could do was move the window reporting the status of the device. Exited and reloaded the Admin Console and two devices were reported inaccessible. I could move their window and nothing else. Did the same once more and three devices were displayed as inaccessible. I quit at that point! MobiLinc is successfully accessing the ISY but cannot control the devices the ISY is reporting as inaccessible. Sounds like I am going to have to wait until I can get onsite and reset two hidden door sensors and a device controlling  a bathroom fan plus reboot

the ISY. Any suggestions that I might try in the meantime?

I am trying to access my ISY using its away IP. The Admin Console first displayed one device that it could not access and the screen froze. The only thing I could do was move the window reporting the status of the device. Exited and reloaded the Admin Console and two devices were reported inaccessible. I could move their window and nothing else. Did the same once more and three devices were displayed as inaccessible. I quit at that point! MobiLinc is successfully accessing the ISY but cannot control the devices the ISY is reporting as inaccessible. Sounds like I am going to have to wait until I can get onsite and reset two hidden door sensors and a device controlling  a bathroom fan plus reboot

the ISY. Any suggestions that I might try in the meantime?

Sounds like a intermittent comm problem. I take it you are away from your LAN.

The missing devices sounds like a hang during the data loading. My guess is ISY is fine.

Do you have any anti-virus or firewall things on your remote device that have suddenly jumped into action, not liking your access?

Some ports are not liked by public style access points.

To add to Larry's comments:

Something else to look at is the internet speed provided at your remote site. Usually internet service is asymmetric: One faster speed for download and slower speed for upload. That works great at the site, but is a limiter for times like this.... wherever you are running the admin console remotely, you are constrained by the speed which the remote site can upload data across the internet - like loading the admin console remotely. 

The admin console loading can be a big job... typically we don't feel it as the ISY is right there by our home computer with few network constraints, but over an internet link its a different story, and made worse by a limited upload speed from the remote site. In contrast, Mobilinc is sending and receiving small individual messages for each device, its load is not a great as the admin console starting up.

• What type of service do you have at the ISY's location? (Cable, DSL, ...)
  • Do you know what your upload and download internet service speed is at the ISY's location?

My recommendation would be to try again; login to the Admin Console, but let it sit for 10 minutes or so before trying to do anything, then try clearing the messages. 

Paul

Sounds like a intermittent comm problem. I take it you are away from your LAN.

The missing devices sounds like a hang during the data loading. My guess is ISY is fine.

Do you have any anti-virus or firewall things on your remote device that have suddenly jumped into action, not liking your access?

Some ports are not liked by public style access points.

Yes, I am away from my LAN. I have no firewall. The interesting thing to me is that MobiLinc is successfully connecting. I can connect to the ISY using the Admin Console but 3 devices display as inaccessible. I cannot access anything at the console level--it is frozen.

To add to Larry's comments:

Something else to look at is the internet speed provided at your remote site. Usually internet service is asymmetric: One faster speed for download and slower speed for upload. That works great at the site, but is a limiter for times like this.... wherever you are running the admin console remotely, you are constrained by the speed which the remote site can upload data across the internet - like loading the admin console remotely. 

The admin console loading can be a big job... typically we don't feel it as the ISY is right there by our home computer with few network constraints, but over an internet link its a different story, and made worse by a limited upload speed from the remote site. In contrast, Mobilinc is sending and receiving small individual messages for each device, its load is not a great as the admin console starting up.

• What type of service do you have at the ISY's location? (Cable, DSL, ...)
  • Do you know what your upload and download internet service speed is at the ISY's location?

My recommendation would be to try again; login to the Admin Console, but let it sit for 10 minutes or so before trying to do anything, then try clearing the messages. 

Paul

The connection is high speed cable. See last post re: Mobilinc working and Admin Console feezing.

Has the admin console worked OK from the same device when at home, via the same comm path?

You haven't said what type of connection you are using (public, private, hotel, shopping mail) or what type type of device you are using.

ISY has a soft reboot found on the System? Tab on the far right.

The IP for the LAN is Cox high speed. I am connecting using Suddenlink, another hight speed provider. Never had a problem previously. Started today. I have a couple of devices that are not responding. Perhaps that is what is causing the ISY to hang.. MobiLinc "sees" those devices but still allows signals to be sent to control the remaining devices. So, the problem appears to be exclusively with the ISY. I guess I will have to return home, reset the problematic devices and see if that restores the functionality of the ISY. Thanks for the help.

The IP for the LAN is Cox high speed. I am connecting using Suddenlink, another hight speed provider. Never had a problem previously. Started today. I have a couple of devices that are not responding. Perhaps that is what is causing the ISY to hang.. MobiLinc "sees" those devices but still allows signals to be sent to control the remaining devices. So, the problem appears to be exclusively with the ISY. I guess I will have to return home, reset the problematic devices and see if that restores the functionality of the ISY. Thanks for the help.

Try deleting all the java cache stuff and reloading the admin console.

Worked on my home system today. As stated previously, everything is reporting its status correctly in MobiLinc but ISY hangs with several devices being unable to access.

Rebooted ISY - no success

Four ToggleLinc Relays (2466s) had to be soft reset, put into linking mode, updated and restored.

Three Hidden Door Sensors (2485-222) had to receive the same treatment.

One Leak Sensor required a new battery.

The Admin Console is now loading correctly and all devices working correctly.

My conclusion, either an electrical storm caused the problems or the PLM is failing.

Will order a replacement PLM today just to err on the safe side.

My biggest concern is that the Admin Console hung.  Not that I could have resolved my problems remotely but had I not had MobiLinc I would have lost any control of the remaining operable devices.

Kudos to MobiLinc.

Thanks for the feedback, Michel. I appreciate your reminder that I need to look carefully at the URLs you supplied. I shall.

No, I had no green/gray icons. I had some devices that simply did not display their status and three or four produced messages in the opening screen of the ISY that those devices could not be found. Typically, I can click on these and close them. In this case, the ISY froze at this point and I could do nothing but quit.

All is well at this moment but I have concerns about the future.

Off to look at the URLs.

Have you power cycled the PLM yet? Bad PS capacitors like to bid their final farewell or heal somewhat after a rest sometimes.

Yes. That was part of my overall restoration process. Interestingly, it appears that all the devices that failed were not dual band. I found three more devices yesterday that needed a soft reset. These devices were scattered about the home. Thus far, today, everything seems to be working fine. Nothing apparent left to do but wait and see.

Thanks to all.

Have you power cycled the PLM yet? Bad PS capacitors like to bid their final farewell or heal somewhat after a rest sometimes.

Yes, that was part of my initial restoration process.

I found 3 other devices that needed a soft reset. All the devices that failed were not dual band!

Nothing left to do but wait and see. All seems to be working now.

Many of the older power line only Insteon modules. Used a power line derived type power supply. With a capacitor to limit the current into a Zenner Diode regulated supply. They could get confused by some line noise and needed a power cycle reset.

I can also verify the 2456D and 2456S modules have the +5 volt Logic supply connected directly to the AC Line input pin and logic regulation all in the common side.

I have seen the earlier hardware power line only Insteon Modules.

Reported to be more prone to power line issues. Get into a unknown state..

That an AC power cycle reset clearing the unknown state.

The troubleshooting chart in the full users manuals would say to do a AC power cycle reset for locked up and strange acting devices.

Noise on the AC power from storms could be a factor in your modules issues.

Archived