Monitor only HVAC usage?

yaplej

Don't hold me to this, I rent. I believe it's 2200sfla. Not sure if that includes the garage. It's a bi-level home with fairly new windows. I believe the HVAC unit is 2.5ton

Unless it's 112°+, I keep my ac at 77 during the day and 76 at night.

There was a lot of tree coverage until the owner had them trimmed in early June. My power consumption seems to be about $10 per day on sunny days.

I have an in home power meter and could give you tons of information. Just ask which you would like :)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Monitoring HVAC use in one home no way addresses the concern of the OP, in particular, is replacing the windows cost effective? That question depends on the effectiveness of the new windows compared with the old ones and, of course, the cost of the replacement.

Comparing HVAC use with that in a similar home with improved windows is valid. So is an energy evaluation.

Unless it's 112°+, I keep my ac at 77 during the day and 76 at night.

What do you do when the temperature exceeds 112 ºF?

This is really being made way too complicated.

1) SEER 12 installed . . . obvious that replacement with SEER 19 will have a very direct and easily predicted impact on electric bill.

2) Consider using mini-split?  You can basically shut the AC off at night if you have a minisplit that does just your bedroom.  Aside from mostly being SEER 19 and up, you are only cooling one room.  You can also get a little more liberal with your bedroom cooling if you are so inclined with very minimal affect on the electric bill.

3) Window replacement?  No doubt if you have builder grade single pane windows, you will save with better windows.  New windows have other nice features besides dropping the electric bill.  However, predicting the electric savings will be very imprecise.  ROI is probably not there, so if you do it, you are going to need to help justify the cost with such things as better aesthetics, less drafty, and better function.

4) You really don't need to monitor the AC directly.  You will almost certainly be within a few percent if you just take your kwh usage for the last couple years and compare temperate months to non-temperate months.

Archived