Moving to a new house, start from scratch?

I'm about to move to a bigger house and will be bringing my isy994i with me. From reading similar posts I see recommendations to reset any insteon devices to their factory settings and re link them. Is this really necessary? It seems all my switches will have similar "homes" in the new home and will be adding perhaps 10 more to the 20 I currently have. Seems if I just label as I remove them it would be a piece of cake to put them back in the correct rooms. All my programs and such would still have the correct address and scenes would still be reasonably intact.

I have spent years dialing everything in, and as much fun as that was I don't want to do it all over again from scratch.The only thing I see being an issues is if the devices actually remember what the mesh looks like and would be repeating the commands incorrectly. If this isn't the case then why even reset them?

Thanks for any insight you can offer to ease the transition.

You don't necessarily have to factory reset. Scenes is where it could get tricky. You don't want scene participants that don't fit in left in devices in the new house.

If you think ahead about what switches you would use where, you could remove scene participants ahead of time, right before you move

However, and FWIW, I would factory reset. The reality is it does not take that much time and would likely reduce hunting for phantom problems.

Paul

I agree with Paul, especially as the new home is likely to inspire changing what each device does (e.g., scenes and program). Twenty devices is not a lot to reset. In the interim, you can cut and paste your programs into any text app, even notepad (if you're using Windows).

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll reset them all before reinstalling. Now what about the isy, should I wipe that too? I have the climate plugin, and zwave doorlocks. Should I start from scratch with that too or just erase all the insteon devices?

If your purposes match your new purposes and the devices will mostly be moved with the ISY, I would work from there and leave well enough alone.

There is no mesh to remember. Insteon devices only repeat what they hear and there is no "remembered mesh", unlike some other mesh protocols.

Here is the guidance on that from UDI.on reasons to factory refreshing the ISY. Things to watch out for are a static IP address if you configured that.

You may want to think about replacing the SD card with a new, high quality one, if your current is more than a few years old

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll reset them all before reinstalling. Now what about the isy, should I wipe that too? I have the climate plugin, and zwave doorlocks. Should I start from scratch with that too or just erase all the insteon devices?

Paul

When I built my house, I started over with all brand new devices. I did contemplate reusing old devices but figured I'd start with all new devices. Despite the extra work starting completely over, it allowed me to use all that I learned over the years which made my system much better than it was when I first started out.

I still talk to the guy that purchased my old home and he still loves the system but I see the holes in the old system. If I were to build another home, i'd do the same in that one as well. 

I would reset the ISY to clear out all of your old info. Resetting your ISY will not cause the modules to disappear. One thing that I learned to do early on however was to get all of my devices added to the ISY and then save that backup. That way if I am ever in a position where I need to start over, that is one last step that I have to do. 

Archived