3way wiring with 2477s help

So after doing some googling I looks like I should have bought 2, 3way insteon switches instead of 1. Anyways I'm trying to put this in for out outdoor lights and really only need the 1 smart switch. The other 3 way switch is located in the garage which never gets used.

From my testing in the entry way is where the main line (power from breaker) comes into the wall box and there goes to the garage 3way which is connected to the load or the actual lights.

Is it possible at all to just not have the switch in the garage but have the 3way switch inside still work?

Trying to figure out the best method for using this switch to control the lights but I really dont need the other switch to work in the garage if it makes it easier.

Thanks for the help.

So after doing some googling I looks like I should have bought 2, 3way insteon switches instead of 1. Anyways I'm trying to put this in for out outdoor lights and really only need the 1 smart switch. The other 3 way switch is located in the garage which never gets used.

From my testing in the entry way is where the main line (power from breaker) comes into the wall box and there goes to the garage 3way which is connected to the load or the actual lights.

Is it possible at all to just not have the switch in the garage but have the 3way switch inside still work?

Trying to figure out the best method for using this switch to control the lights but I really dont need the other switch to work in the garage if it makes it easier.

Thanks for the help.

Insteon doesn't make, or need, a three way switch.

3-Way light switching is done in logic via programs or direct links between devices (no controller needed). They are configured in a logic "OR" configuration. They all share equal control over the light/load. No special cables or wire traveller needed for implementation. Good for retrofits, not requiring rewiring of your house.

I saw this more of a wiring question than a logical insteon 3-way question.  It's easy to replace the two three-way switches with one insteon switch in the entry way, since you don't care about the garage switch:

>-B--x--B--|||--R--x--R-->          >--R--x--B-->

LINE  >-W--x--W--|||     x--B-->          >--B--x             LOAD

\---------------W-->          >--W--x--W-->

entry way box                 garage box (no switch)

x   = wire nut

||| = insteon switch

B(lack), W(hite), R(ed)

If you have two insteon switches, then it becomes this and the switches are linked via insteon commands for logical 3-way:

/---------------B-->          >--B--x----B--|||

>-B--x--B--|||-R-x  x-R-->          >--R--x       |||--R--x--B-->

LINE  >-W--x--W--|||                              /--W--|||               LOAD

\---------------W-->          >--W----x----------------W-->

entry way box                         garage box

(both red wires capped)

@markens Yes thank you! It is a wiring question and this is want I was wondering. Perfect! I think I can follow this.

Now the Garage box looks straight forward in the wiring. But sorry, not the greatest on 3way electrical wiring and want to make sure on the Entry way box. How you have the insteon switch labeled with | | | im wanting to clarify.

The single Black wire, is that the traveler set going to the other box and just capping that wire, same on the garage side? So the connected black wire is just capped?

Thanks again for the help.

For the most part, wire colors in a 3-way configuration are meaningless. At least one white wire is not a neutral, black is not always line and red is not always load. Also, the travelers can be any of black, red and/or white.

Do not remove nor disconnect the existing switches. Describe the wiring at each switch box, for example, one 2-wirw cable and one 3-wire cable. Each 3-way switch has one black and two brass screws. what color wire is connected to the black screw at each location and is that wire from a 2-wire or 3-wire cable? What colors are connected to the brass screws?

stusviews comment is good to verify existing wiring before proceeding.  My wiring suggestion assumes two-wire LINE and LOAD cables (black/white), and three-wire traveler between boxes (black/red/white). And your assertion that LINE enters entry way box and LOAD exits garage box.  Of course, all bare grounds are connected together in both boxes.

To clarify:  The insteon switch has three wires (B/R/W).  The B and W are connected to incoming LINE B and W.  The R is connected to traveler R (using Red in this case signifies a switched hot).  The unneeded B traveler wire is capped in the entry way box, as well as the garage box.

When it comes to wiring, assuming often works. Congrats if it does. Be prepared to reset a breaker at best or, at worst, open walls to replace a burned out wire if it doesn't.

The easiest way to figure this out when you are naive to this sort of thing is to do as follows.

1) shut off breaker, unscrew both switches and pull them out so you have good access to wires.

2) Look for a jacketed wire with two conductors (plus ground).  That is probably your line from the circuit breaker.  The traveler wire will have 3 plus ground.  There will also be a two plus ground to the light fixture itself in the other box.

3) If you don't find a 2 conductor wire in each of the two boxes, get back to me.

4) Disconnect that 2 conductor wires (both conductors) and cap them.  Turn breaker back on.  Carefully remove the caps and test for 120vac.  One of the 2 conductor jacketed wires will be your line, the other will be to your fixture.

5) Turn breaker back off.  Label your line. Hook the other 2 conductor wire back up as it had been.

6) Is this wire in the box you want to put your insteon switch?  If yes, good, uninstall the current switch and install the insteon.  If not, get back to me.  The line wire should be a black and white . . . connect to your insteon black and white.  There should be another white in the box that you unhooked when freeing up the line.  Splice that wire in with the other two whites.  Now pick one of the other two colored wires that were connected to the 3way switch and connect it to the Insteon red.  Cap the other colored wire.  Now turn power back on.  The insteon switch should light up.  Turn the insteon switch on.  Did the light go on?  If no, flip your old 3way switch at the other box the other way.  Whichever way the other switch needs to be to have the light on when the insteon switch is on, you need to secure the switch in that position.  They sell little pieces of plastic that you screw on to the switch that keeps it in one position.

7) Turn breaker off.  Pack switches back into boxes and screw in.  Turn breaker back on.

Wow thanks guys this is great info, I was super busy last night and didnt have time to mess with it but hopefully later tonight I can take a look and get back with the details of the exact set is.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

@markens

Thanks again for your detailed wiring instructions. I finally got around to getting the switch wired in and got it working! :) The initial description on how I thought it was wired was incorrect but was able to figure it out based on your help.

Thanks again!

Archived