Gangbox decora faceplates

fasttimes

So after years of replacing switches, I've had several of the Leviton faceplate backings break on the bottom screw. Being lazy I used a plastic washer to fix it. I got some smarthome faceplates today and they are much better. Plus they are slightly larger and cover up spots where drywall is crumbling.

And as an extra bonus, if you forget to write down the device address, you don't need to unscrew them to take it off and read it. I've done that so many times... Doh!

So after years of replacing switches, I've had several of the Leviton faceplate backings break on the bottom screw. Being lazy I used a plastic washer to fix it. I got some smarthome faceplates today and they are much better. Plus they are slightly larger and cover up spots where drywall is crumbling.

And as an extra bonus, if you forget to write down the device address, you don't need to unscrew them to take it off and read it. I've done that so many times... Doh!

You using the screw-less cover plates like the Lutron Claro? I found some aftermarkets on Amazon, $25 for 10 and starting to swap mine out. They look nice and without a deep inspection of both side by side the overall quality is the same.

Screwless Decorator Wall Plate kit by Enerlites SI8831-W Child Safe Cover Plate, 1-Gang Standard Size, White, 10 Pack – Compatible with Rocker/GFCI/Paddle Outlet Receptacles, Unbreakable PC Material https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1XXOFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_scxCzbZ2T2FJH

Now the truth is revealed why those switches are messed up! jk

And on another note, I got so tired trying to explain to a clients painter about this sort thing. I cant tell you how many times the painters will half *** it and paint over the address of a switch. Then the last time I asked them to cover it and they used masking tape, see where I am going with this? then when they were done it was "clean" but labels missing! Ugh smh. Now before paint on a install I go in with 3M blue tape and cover them up now then remove it myself.

After a few humps left in my backyard I find it less work to just learn how to paint myself than to dig more of those holes in our backyard clay soil.

After a few rooms the paint is starting to plug up the shower drains, my skin is getting thin, and for some reason we have a shortage of painters in my area.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

You using the screw-less cover plates like the Lutron Claro? I found some aftermarkets on Amazon, $25 for 10 and starting to swap mine out. They look nice and without a deep inspection of both side by side the overall quality is the same.

Screwless Decorator Wall Plate kit by Enerlites SI8831-W Child Safe Cover Plate, 1-Gang Standard Size, White, 10 Pack – Compatible with Rocker/GFCI/Paddle Outlet Receptacles, Unbreakable PC Material https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R1XXOFC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_scxCzbZ2T2FJH

Now the truth is revealed why those switches are messed up! jk

Do those have the gap at the top like lutron or smooth like leviton's/insteon

I place those slots at the bottom. No one knows they exist (well, I do). They're there for inserting a flat object such as a screwdriver to assist in removing the plate, although I don't find it difficult to just pull the plate off bare-handed B)

Learned something new today. Thanks Stus.

These things do come in handy around the house for sure. Better then marring something up with the tip of a metal flathead screw driver like I did in the past.

Edit: that link to the switch plates is nice but also a bit too flashy.

Archived