Getting Started with ISY

Been lurking for a while and just got my Isy up a running last week.

I did the recognize all devices option and it took over 90 minutes to get things loaded in. Before i did this I made a spread sheet of all my device names and numbers, so it did not take long to get the devices renamed. Scenes are a bit different and I am going to continue going back to my Insteon Hub to verify.

The first major program I want to program is to keep all my keypad LEDs off during the day and turn them on from sunset to midnight.

I want to write my first program to experiment with one KPL:

If time is sunset (everyday)

Then Insteon set device  On 6/ Off 3 (backlight level)

I assume this will set all the buttons that are active to level six if a device is on and the backlight level if device is off to 3... Is this Correct? So at night, the keypad is a dimmed level unless an active device is on...

Then, do I need to write a separate program such as

If time is 12:00 AM (everyday)

then Insteon set device On 6/ Off 0 (backlight level)

To set the KPD buttons to off unless a button is active...

Is that all there is to it?

Been lurking for a while and just got my Isy up a running last week.

I did the recognize all devices option and it took over 90 minutes to get things loaded in. Before i did this I made a spread sheet of all my device names and numbers, so it did not take long to get the devices renamed. Scenes are a bit different and I am going to continue going back to my Insteon Hub to verify.

The first major program I want to program is to keep all my keypad LEDs off during the day and turn them on from sunset to midnight.

I want to write my first program to experiment with one KPL:

If time is sunset (everyday)

Then Insteon set device  On 6/ Off 3 (backlight level)

I assume this will set all the buttons that are active to level six if a device is on and the backlight level if device is off to 3... Is this Correct? So at night, the keypad is a dimmed level unless an active device is on...

Then, do I need to write a separate program such as

If time is 12:00 AM (everyday)

then Insteon set device On 6/ Off 0 (backlight level)

To set the KPD buttons to off unless a button is active...

Is that all there is to it?

Welcome to the UDI ISY  forums!

The KPL LEDs are a special and unusual breed of Insteon.

With ISY programs you can set the levels of the LEDs but to turn them on and off requires Insteon Scenes.  ISY is a good Insteon Scene manager with drag and drop creation and editing support.

Programs can turn the scenes On and Off.

You can use one program to do both times like this.

If

....From 8:00 AM

....To 6:00 PM (same day)

Then

.....lines run at 8:00 AM everyday

Else

....lines run at 6:00 PM everyday

Here's the program I use that lowers the illumination of our bedroom devices at night and restores them in the morning (the KPL button allows manually dimming the LEDs) :

BR LEDs
If
        From     1:00:00AM
        To      Sunrise +  2 hours  (next day)
     Or Control 'DR / Devices / DR Side Door Light / DR Side Door G Front Off' is switched Off

Then
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Primary 40' 10% (Backlight Level)                    <--SwitchLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Secondary 40' 10% (Backlight Level)               <--SwitchLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fan+Drapes.A Fan 1' On  1 / Off 0 (Backlight Level)   <--KeypadLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fireplace' 10% (Backlight Level)                                  <--SwitchLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Patio Primary 40' 10% (Backlight Level)                       <--SwitchLinc

Set 'BR / Devices / BR Sconces 10' 10% (Backlight Level)                              <--SwitchLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Tabtop.A Ceiling 40' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)     <--KeypadLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wall KPL.A Lamp 35' On  2 / Off 1 (Backlight Level)    <--KeypadLinc
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wet Bar' 10% (Backlight Level)                                    <--SwitchLinc

Else
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Primary 40' 50% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Ceiling Secondary 40' 50% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fan+Drapes.A Fan 1' On  9 / Off 3 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Fireplace' 50% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Patio Primary 40' 50% (Backlight Level)

Set 'BR / Devices / BR Sconces 10' 50% (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Tabtop.A Ceiling 40' On  9 / Off 3 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wall KPL.A Lamp 35' On  9 / Off 3 (Backlight Level)
        Set 'BR / Devices / BR Wet Bar' 50% (Backlight Level)

Note that one device (in green) has a different nighttime setting from the others. IMO, the best method for determining the nighttime levels is to make an educated guess and go to bed. Then make a mental (OK) or written (best) note for the level(s) you want to change. For convenience in making changes, I place the devices alphabetically.

You cannot use a scene to adjust the LED brightness.

Archived