Problem/error message when restoring new PLM

Noremac

I got a replacement PLM from Smarthome under warranty, followed the instructions for rebooting the ISY, and attempted to perform a Restore PLM command.  The progress bar continues up to 11%, but then I get an error dialog that says "Failed resetting the PLM [-200000/-30]"

What's wrong?

Thanks, but that's the procedure I followed.  Just to be sure, I repeated it.  I also did a factory-reset of the PLM, whereupon I got a different error message when attempting to restore the PLM:

"Could not open config file to read

[/CONF/INSTEON.OPT],

followed by the original "Failed resetting the PLM" message.

I then ran the restore PLM function again, and only got the original message.

FYI - I am performing these functions remotely for a friends computer - over https.  Would that somehow matter for performing the Restore PLM?

Help!! 

Thanks for the advice to perform the PLM restore locally, but after attempting it several times on the local ISY network, I still don't have function.  The first time I tried it, I got the same set of error messages ("Could not open config file to read, [/CONF/INSTEON.OPT] and "Failed resetting the PLM",[-200000/-30]).  Finally, the error messages stopped, but there doesn't seem to be any communication with the various Insteon devices in the home.  All devices have the red "!" next to them, and all attempts to perform a Write operation seem to fail.

Other things I've tried:

1. Restored the ISY with a known backup.

2. Performed another Factory reset of the PLM

3. Ran Restore Devices in addition to Restore PLM

4. Ran Diagnostics..PLM Info/Status.  Result:  PLM shows "Connected" with the correct PLM replacement serial # showing and v9E firmware.

5. Ran Diagnostics...Show PLM Link Table...Start.  It tries to connect, stops, and the entry box remains blank.

Why can't the PLM talk to the other devices?

Is it possible the replacement PLM is also defective? (It is a Rev 2.3)

Hi Noremac,

Please reboot your ISY, go back to PLM Info/Status. If you still see "connected", then the PLM/ISY is probably OK. What you need to do then is:

1. Restore a good backup FROM BEFORE you did ANYTHING to ISY (especially before any PLM restores/etc.)

2. Move the PLM to a different outlet and one which is not shared with other transformers and power supplies

3. If you have any INSTEON thermostats, unplug them

Retry: http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:File_Menu#Restore_Devices

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel!  One question about the ISY restore:  In this ordeal, one thing that I did was upgrade the ISY to the latest firmware (4.6.2), so the last "good" backup that I have was done with a prior firmware level.  Is there any issue restoring the ISY with 4.6.2 using a backup from a prior firmware version (I can't remember which one it was, but it was fairly recent)?

Finally, you indicate to perform a Restore Devices command, not just a Restore PLM.  I assume that Restore Devices also takes care of the new PLM?

~Noremac

Michel-  You were on the right track regarding the possibility of interference.  Although I still had the communication problem when shifting the PLM to a different outlet as you suggested, it started me thinking of possible causes of interference.  After unplugging several nearby devices, I narrowed down the culprit to a Klipsch bluetooth speaker powered by a brick about 30 ft away.  Although local scenes were still working in the same vicinity, the PLM must have been more sensitive and on the same circuit as the brick.  All communication problems went away when I unplugged it. A lesson for anyone else searching and reading this thread in the future - don't count on Insteon dual band devices to save you from powerline interference which can manifest as bad PLM communications.

~Noremac

Michel- You were on the right track regarding the possibility of interference. Although I still had the communication problem when shifting the PLM to a different outlet as you suggested, it started me thinking of possible causes of interference. After unplugging several nearby devices, I narrowed down the culprit to a Klipsch bluetooth speaker powered by a brick about 30 ft away. Although local scenes were still working in the same vicinity, the PLM must have been more sensitive and on the same circuit as the brick. All communication problems went away when I unplugged it. A lesson for anyone else searching and reading this thread in the future - don't count on Insteon dual band devices to save you from powerline interference which can manifest as bad PLM communications.

~Noremac

To be more specific Insteon's dual band system does not operate independently of the RF from the power-line hardware. If there is line noise impacting the insteon hardware the RF portion will not correct / solve that.

In the ideal world the hardware should allow a person to cut out the physical power-line signal to the hardware and then allow the RF to be the primary communications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

To anyone who can help me out...

I am having a similar situation. Although I check the status of my plm and I "get 0.0.0 v0 / Not Connected". 

A few days ago my power supply on my isy went out, so I got a replacement 5v 500ma. When I replaced it, I couldn't see status on any of my insteon devices. However my zwave statuses do populate. Although I cannot control anything. I went and got a new plm and tried doing a restore and getting the same message as the other person that stated the initial problem. With both plm's the admin console comes up in safe mode giving me a dialogue that it could be an issue with the plm. With both plm's I also check the  status and errors up as 0.0.0 v0 not connected Any ideas or suggestions?

20180710_230522.jpg

20180710_230537.jpg

20180711_180916.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Thought I’d ask. Recently another  forum member ordered a new ISY before finding out the power supply was bad.

That was me... :o

The old power supply was lighting LEDs on the ISY and it appeared to be booting, but the network interface would not open up (no LEDs on it or the switch port it was connected to). A strange symptom for sure.

Archived