2466SW Gone Bad?

johnmsch

I have an older Insteon 2466SW On/Off switch v5.05 that the ISY Admin console can no longer communicate with.  When I start the console, it throws the error "Cannot Communicate With ... Please check connections."  This has been working fine for a few years and I haven't made any changes to my electrical wiring/switches in at least 6-7 months.

The switch itself looks fine and works manually.  When its off, the LED is on, and when its on, the LED is off and all the lights it controls come on.  I tried the factory reset procedure and also turned off the breaker that switch is on for about a minute.  Can't think of anything else to try.

Has this switch just gone bad?

For the reset, I pulled out the set button and waited about 15 seconds.  Then pushed it in all the way and held it.  Within a second or two, it beeped twice.  I kept holding it in for about 10 seconds, but it didn't make any more beeps.  I then released it and it still works the same (manually works fine, but ISY994i still has the error).

By "removing the load", I assume you mean to disconnect the red wire?

Once you complete a hard reset the links are erased. You need to complete a device restore to link back to the controller. If it's easier to remove the red load wire sure but if it's easier to unscrew the bulb even better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope I'm not being dense here, but isn't the device restore done from the Admin Console, which still can't communicate with the switch?

There are actually 4 bulbs on this switch.  I'll unscrew them and try again.

BTW, just took off the coverplate for that switch, and the switch itself is pretty hot.  I know these switches run a little warm, but don't remember ever feeling one that was as hot as this one. 

Hope I'm not being dense here, but isn't the device restore done from the Admin Console, which still can't communicate with the switch?

There are actually 4 bulbs on this switch.  I'll unscrew them and try again.

BTW, just took off the coverplate for that switch, and the switch itself is pretty hot.  I know these switches run a little warm, but don't remember ever feeling one that was as hot as this one. 

ISY will still have the image with links for the device. It will re-install them into the device and make a new and clean image inside it.

If you remove all the bulbs. Check to see if you can query the switch if so great. Then your next step is to complete the device restore.

It might just be easier to delete and add the device back to save time. Ensure the bulbs are removed during this process. Assuming the hardware can be controlled and seen by the ISY. Your next step is to add one bulb at a time until you see a fault in coms.

Yes, even if the device shows !, the ISY can rewrite the links unless the device it totally kaput. That may be the case, a factory reset should emit a long beep while holding in the set button and double-beep after you release the set button. Did the load turn on after the factory reset you tried?

I removed the bulbs and started the console.  Still get the error.  I tried a query and see the progress bar, but nothing else happens.  Then tried to restore the device, but again, nothing appears to happen.  Then removed the device and tried to re-add it.  That gave the error:

New Device Errors

The following devices could not be added:

xx.yy.zz

Cannot determine Insteon Engine

Oh well, I have an order coming tomorrow in fact, with 6 new switches and another 8 button keypad.  I'll replace this switch with one of the new ones.

Thanks, as always, for all the quick replies!!!!

If and when you remove that old switch could you humor me by connecting it to a old extension cord and plug it into the same outlet as the 2413S PLM? Please ensure you hard reset the switch at least two times before you try to add it back to the ISY.

Lastly, please do check if the hardware is still covered by the 2 year warranty ~ You never know! ☝️

Will do Teken.  At this point, I'd be very surprised (and flummoxed) it the switch is then recognized by the ISY994i.

Not sure how to check the warranty though.  With all the Insteon switches I have, I don't know how to trace back when I purchased this particular one.

Will do Teken.  At this point, I'd be very surprised (and flummoxed) it the switch is then recognized by the ISY994i.

Not sure how to check the warranty though.  With all the Insteon switches I have, I don't know how to trace back when I purchased this particular one.

If you purchased directly from Smarthome and did so under your registered account. The system will indicate every purchase you made with them. 

If you purchased directly from Smarthome and did so under your registered account. The system will indicate every purchase you made with them. 

Understood.  The problem is that I've purchased about two dozen of these switches over the years from them.  I don't see how to trace this particular switch back to a specific order.  Am I missing something here?

Did you ever try the correct factory reset procedure (see post #9)?

Yes, sorry for not updating this thread with that info.  When I push & hold the button, it makes one beep.  Then, no matter how long I hold it in, when I release it, it makes the double beep.  I never get the long beep while holding it in.

Yes, sorry for not updating this thread with that info.  When I push & hold the button, it makes one beep.  Then, no matter how long I hold it in, when I release it, it makes the double beep.  I never get the long beep while holding it in.

Just pressing the button in will not factory reset devices.

From the manual

Factory Reset
Factory Reset clears all user settings from ToggleLinc Relay, including INSTEON scenes, on-levels, ramp
rates, X10 addresses, etc.
1) Pull out ToggleLinc’s Set button to create an air gap.
2) Wait 10 seconds.
3) Push in Set button and hold it. Do not let go.
ToggleLinc will begin to emit a long beep.
4) When beep stops, release Set button.
A few seconds will pass.
ToggleLinc will double-beep.
LEDs will return to normal brightness.
The connected load will turn on.

Just pressing the button in will not factory reset devices.

From the manual

Factory Reset
Factory Reset clears all user settings from ToggleLinc Relay, including INSTEON scenes, on-levels, ramp
rates, X10 addresses, etc.
1) Pull out ToggleLinc’s Set button to create an air gap.
2) Wait 10 seconds.
3) Push in Set button and hold it. Do not let go.
ToggleLinc will begin to emit a long beep.
4) When beep stops, release Set button.
A few seconds will pass.
ToggleLinc will double-beep.
LEDs will return to normal brightness.
The connected load will turn on.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.  What I meant to say was: When I push & hold the button (after air-gapping it for 10 seconds), it makes one beep.

Still have the same result no matter what I've tried.  Within a second of pushing the button in (after air-gapping it for 10 seconds), it makes one beep.  No matter how long I hold it in after that (I've tried anywhere from 10 seconds up to about 20), it never makes the long beep.  When I finally release it, I hear the two beeps.  I still can't add the device back and get the below error every time.

New Device Errors

xx.yy.zz

Can't comment on your 2466SW specifically but I do know older firmware in many model modules. Act in a similar way. To what  you are describing with no long beep. On a Factory Reset.

I did find a manual indicating >5.0 and it does indicate the long beep and then two short beeps.

It is possible it has failed.

Been there, done that, twice.  The second time, I had the breaker off for about an hour.

OK. With your lack of success I just wondered.

The device has to be powered up with the button held in so a time gap with the power on and the button NOT pressed will make the factory reset fail.

Unless you have two people or can reach both at the same time, turning the breaker off should not work either.

I know factory restting wall switches is  harder to do than most other devices. I always have to use a small screwdriver to press the button indeep enough but you are getting some beeps, indicataing you probably are.

Sounds defective to me.

OK. With your lack of success I just wondered.

The device has to be powered up with the button held in so a time gap with the power on and the button NOT pressed will make the factory reset fail.

Unless you have two people or can reach both at the same time, turning the breaker off should not work either.

I know factory restting wall switches is  harder to do than most other devices. I always have to use a small screwdriver to press the button indeep enough but you are getting some beeps, indicataing you probably are.

Sounds defective to me.

Fortunately, this switch is within arm's reach of the breaker box.  That's the one thing I haven't tried (turning the breaker back on while holding down the button).  Its worth a try!

BTW, I do have a small flat-blade screwdriver that I use exclusively for these switches.  Makes it easy to pop the button out and hold it in.

Fortunately, this switch is within arm's reach of the breaker box.  That's the one thing I haven't tried (turning the breaker back on while holding down the button).  Its worth a try!

BTW, I do have a small flat-blade screwdriver that I use exclusively for these switches.  Makes it easy to pop the button out and hold it in.

It doesn't sound like you are missing anything in your technique so....

In a last ditch attempt...maybe disconnect it and wire it somewhere else?

then

"gone bad"? :(

Today I wired in a new 2466S Rev 6.6 and when I tried to add it via the ISY, I experienced the same problem as you are experiencing.

New Device Errors

xx.yy.zz

It works locally via the toggle but will not register thru the ISY. I have tried the same reset procedures you have with no joy. I'll be interested if you are successful with your new switches. Perhaps I just purchased a new "bum" switch.

Archived