2466SW Gone Bad?

johnmsch

Today I wired in a new 2466S Rev 6.6 and when I tried to add it via the ISY, I experienced the same problem as you are experiencing.

New Device Errors

The following devices could not be added:

xx.yy.zz

Cannot determine Insteon Engine

It works locally via the toggle but will not register thru the ISY. I have tried the same reset procedures you have with no joy. I'll be interested if you are successful with your new switches. Perhaps I just purchased a new "bum" switch.

Can you please confirm the ISY Series Controller indicates both Firmware & UI are using the same version.

ie. 4.X.X

Also, if you have a old extension cord you can sacrifice try to wire it up and then plug it into the same outlet as the 2413S PLM and report back success vs failure.

It doesn't sound like you are missing anything in your technique so....

In a last ditch attempt...maybe disconnect it and wire it somewhere else?

then

"gone bad"? :(

Yes, per Teken's request, when I put the new one in, I'm going to use an old head-less extension cord and wire it to the same outlet the PLM is in.  99.9% sure it still won't work, but I gotta know!!!!

Today I wired in a new 2466S Rev 6.6 and when I tried to add it via the ISY, I experienced the same problem as you are experiencing.

Oh wow, they're up to v6.6?  That means my v5.05 really IS old.

My order from Smarthome came in today, so I'll be doing some installs this weekend.  I will definitely report back here how it went.

If and when you remove that old switch could you humor me by connecting it to a old extension cord and plug it into the same outlet as the 2413S PLM? Please ensure you hard reset the switch at least two times before you try to add it back to the ISY.

Done.  As I suspected, I get the same result.  That sucker has gone to the dark side.

Just wondering if Smarthome does autopsies on these?  I'd be happy to send it back to them, although given its age and version, it probably wouldn't be relevant.

If the device isn't under warranty and you feel compelled to tinker. You can take the switch apart and replace every capacitor in the unit. I've done this to over 15 pieces of hardware from Switch Lincs, KPL, PLM, and Appliance Links.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and have time to kill it's a great project to revive and learn on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you please confirm the ISY Series Controller indicates both Firmware & UI are using the same version.

ie. 4.X.X

Also, if you have a old extension cord you can sacrifice try to wire it up and then plug it into the same outlet as the 2413S PLM and report back success vs failure.

The Firmware & UI on the ISY Series Controller is v.4.6.2.

I will remove the 2466S and try your suggestion with the "old extension cord" later today.

One thought that has occurred to me is that there maybe too much noise for the 2466S to communicate. I have had this problem with PVRs and switched to using a Z-wave switch. The 2466S giving me problems is switching an irrigation valve which has an electromagnetic actuator. But I would have thought that when the load is disconnected it wouldn't be generating any noise.

So I did remove the 2466S and wired it up with an "old extension cord" and plugged it in beside the 2413 PLM. And it all worked. So the 2466S is good. Thus I have concluded that it is a comm problem. Also it was installed in a metal box. Since removing it, I have re-wired things to give me a standard wall plug in which I plugged in a 2635-222 ON/OFF Module. It works fine.

So I did remove the 2466S and wired it up with an "old extension cord" and plugged it in beside the 2413 PLM. And it all worked. So the 2466S is good. Thus I have concluded that it is a comm problem. Also it was installed in a metal box. Since removing it, I have re-wired things to give me a standard wall plug in which I plugged in a 2635-222 ON/OFF Module. It works fine.

Good to know the extension cord worked to prove the hardware was fine. Just repurpose the switch elsewhere in the home.

Rock On . . .

Now you can install it back in the metal box, still with the cord on it to prove the box is affecting comms. 

All but a few boxes here are metal. Even before dual-band devices, I never found that a metal box itself caused a communication error. At most, RF range may have been restricted, but any communication error was caused by something else (e.g., noise on the powerline).

All but a few boxes here are metal. Even before dual-band devices, I never found that a metal box itself caused a communication error. At most, RF range may have been restricted, but any communication error was caused by something else (e.g., noise on the powerline).

I agree with the above a metal JB only limits the Insteon RF. Never seen a metal box cause noise issues in the system.

If the device isn't under warranty and you feel compelled to tinker. You can take the switch apart and replace every capacitor in the unit. I've done this to over 15 pieces of hardware from Switch Lincs, KPL, PLM, and Appliance Links.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and have time to kill it's a great project to revive and learn on.

There was a time when I would indeed do just that.  Always been into electronics and electricity in general.  Nowadays, its just not high on my list of to-do items.

ie. 4.X.X

Ok, I'm missing something obvious here.  How do we check this????

Edit:  Oops.  Nevermind.  Just went to Admin Console -> Help -> About.  :oops:

Edit #2:  How do those (firmware & GUI) get out of sync?  My GUI was newer than the firmware.  Just upgraded the firmware and now they are both at 4.6.2.

A coincidence -- yesterday I found two of these old power line only switches and decided to use one of them to replace a togglelinc relay that had failed. I had the same result where the ISY failed to properly communicate with the 2466SW so the controller put it over in the corner wearing a dunce cap. The 2466 controls its load just fine and I can manually link it to the other Togglelinc (a virtual 3-way set up) in the room, but the ISY just doesn't like the 2466.

I think it's something to do with the firmware in these ancient devices.

If you can communicate with a dual-band device, but not a powerline only device, then you have something on the powerline causing the problem. The difficulty is not the hardware, old devices work fine with even the latest official ISY version, 4.6.2.

If you can communicate with a dual-band device, but not a powerline only device, then you have something on the powerline causing the problem. The difficulty is not the hardware, old devices work fine with even the latest official ISY version, 4.6.2.

Why then does the 2466, a power line only device, link to and control the dual-band togglelincs? It's the ISY and/or PLM that seems to have the problem in my situation.

That's not unusual. Something on the powerline is interfering with communication between the 2466 and the PLM. The ISY has no connection at all with the powerline (nor Insteon RF). It communicates only with the PLM.

Archived