KPL LEDs and Mini Remote

andrew77

Hi guys,

I have a two part question.

1)

I have a KPL and a mini remote that essentially mirror each other (B button on both trigger same scenes etc,)

I have the KPL buttons as mutually exclusive so when I press the C button the D LED and scene change, etc.

When I press the mini remote buttons the KPL LEDs stay lit even though the scene is no longer true.

After a while all the KPL LEDs are lit.

(I'm guessing I want to have a program that says "If scene C isn't true then shut off KPL LED C)

2)

I would love to have the Mini Remote buttons set for Non Toggle On so they always trigger the scene on when pressed (as opposed to shutting the scene off depending on the state of the button then having to press the same button to turn the desired scene on)

But this setting leaves all the KPL LEDs on (back to problem number 1)

A this point I'd have to create a scene that would shut all the lights in the room in question off I'm assuming

(I.E. When Mini Remote button H is pressed ON then run scene 'shut off all lights' or something like that.)

This is a question solely to keep the wife happy.

I cannot reiterate the same answers to "Why do all the lights shut off when I push the remote button?" and "All the LEDs are on on the KPL. Why?"

(Although the second question has been reworded for the furor, I hear "Why are all the lights on on the light?")

Any thoughts would be great.

Drew

The LEDs on a KPL button need to be controlled using a scene. You can link a button on the Mini Remote to control the scene. The scene can include the KPL button, the Mini Remote button (both as controllers) and the responding device. But if the buttons are set for non-Toggle on, then you'll need a program to turn the KPL button off.

Hi Stu,

Thank you for the reply.

I do have the LEDs in the scenes (as controllers) 

When I turn on or switch between scenes using the KPL everything is as it should be.

If I turn on a scene using the remote the LED lights. If I then turn on another scene that LED lights as well.

(both LEDs are on even though the buttons are Mutually Exclusive? Is this because the KPL buttons are mutually exclusive if pressed but the Remote buttons are not?)

I think I'd like to try the Non Toggle On setting.

I tried to make a program that would say this...

If

Scene ABC is not true 

Then

turn LED scene off

But the best I seem to be able to do is...

New Program - [iD 000E][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'Big Room KPL-C-Cooking' is not switched On

Then
        Set Scene 'Cooking LED' Off

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

This doesn't seem to do what I want.

Drew

No buttons are mutually exclusive unless you make them so, usually via a scene.

Your Mini Remote scene should have both the Mini Remote button and KPL button as controllers. For example:

Scene Light

KPL Button A

Mini Remote B

responder

Pressing KPL button A will cause the button LED to be lit, pressing Mini Remote button B will do the same. If the buttons are in toggle mode, then you may need to press Mini Remote button B twice sometimes. That's because you can control the state of the KPL button using a scene, but you cannot control the sates of a Mini Remote button.

If you use non-Toggle mode, then you'll need a scene or program for each of On and Off.

To expand on what Stusviews added, if you want other kpl buttons to turn off add those buttons to your scenes in the off position. For example if button b is turned on and you want button c off, add button c to the B scene and set it to off.

In my example the light is for button B and the lamp is button C

Kpl B Controller On

Remote B Controller

Kpl C responder Off

Light responder On

Lamp responder off

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm hoping I can keep the Mini Remote set as Non Toggle On.

I've tried to implement what you've said.

I put the LED buttons I want to shut off in the scenes and have them at an On Level of 0

This doesn't seem to work as it should. The scene makes sense.

When I press the Mini Remote button C The LED comes on. Fine

When I press the F Mini Remote Button C remains on and even though all the LEDs are set to Off in the scene D comes on as well.

I'm not sure how what lilyoyo1 didn't work.

I have a Scene  that has all the LEDs off (B button) shut off. It's triggered by this program

Big Room Off - [iD 0013][Parent 0001]

If
        Control 'BRRemote-B All Off' is switched On

Then
        Set Scene 'Big Room Off' Off

Else

When I press the B button all the LEDs come on If I press it again they shut off momentarily and then come on again.

Drew

I would describe the "mutually exclusive" option a little differently.  Rather than say that it doesn't work, or that a scene is the only way to do this.  Rather, the mutually exclusive relationship is enforced only within the individual keypad.  In other words, the relationship between keypad buttons is only in effect when activating that specific KPL.  It is not enforced when a given KPL button changes state as a result of a scene relationship.

Otherwise, lilyoyo1 nailed it.

​If your scene is not working as you expect and described by lilyoyo1, consider the possibility that you must set responder levels for each-and-every controller in each scene.  From the admin panel, select not just the top scene, but select each controller.  Ensure that the responder levels are also set as described for each controller device.

Hi oberkc

Thank you for mentioning to copy the scene attributes to each controller. I've done that in this case but in the past have overlooked it.

Here's where I am now.

When using the Mini Remote the scenes change as I want them to.

And the All Off scene shuts all lights off.

But the LEDs on the KPL are all over the map.

When I press the all off button all Less still light up (except for the A button)

When I press the C or F buttons (these buttons trigger scenes that have the LEDs not in use at a level of zero in the scene)

LEDs still light up.

Is there a way to "Copy To Clipboard" a scene so I can post it here?

Drew

Hi oberkc

Thank you for mentioning to copy the scene attributes to each controller. I've done that in this case but in the past have overlooked it.

Here's where I am now.

When using the Mini Remote the scenes change as I want them to.

And the All Off scene shuts all lights off.

But the LEDs on the KPL are all over the map.

When I press the all off button all Less still light up (except for the A button)

When I press the C or F buttons (these buttons trigger scenes that have the LEDs not in use at a level of zero in the scene)

LEDs still light up.

Is there a way to "Copy To Clipboard" a scene so I can post it here?

Drew

Screen shot. Then use the Full/Advanced editor button bottom right

But the LEDs on the KPL are all over the map.​

If the scenes are configured correctly yet the KPL buttons are not responding as expected, it seems to me that there are three possibilities:

- communication problems

- a program is somehow being triggered which is causing this

- link problems

Still, I think it is worth posting a screen shot of the scenes just to have the smart folks around here check it out.  Sometimes it is easy to stare at something for so long that one can no longer see it.

post-245-0-53980600-1505137252_thumb.pngpost-245-0-04764600-1505137284_thumb.pngOkay, here's the Cooking scene.

I'll post the All Off scene next.

Only Cooking - [iD 0014][Parent 0001][Not Enabled]

If
        Control 'BRRemote-C Cooking' is switched On

Then
        Set Scene 'Only Cooking' Off

Else

For the screen shots of the "cooking" scene, which controller was selected?  (For which controller device are these the responder levels?)

Should the scene be working properly, a program would not be necessary.  In my mind, this program contradicts the scene and may be causing the problems.  Why do you have this program?  Is it possible that you have programs that are interfering with proper scene operation?  

I believe the cooking program is 'Not Enabled'

but I will delete it and see if that helps when I get home tonight.

It might be an issue but I disabled it when I started trying to control it with a scene and not a program.

Those responder levels are for the Mini Remote and the KPL (I made surreal controllers had the same settings.)

Drew

OK.  If the program is disabled, then it should be no problem.  It may be worth checking program log to see if any programs are triggered by your KPL buttons.  Hopefully not.

Continuing to use the cooking scene as an example, if those are the responder levels to KPL button C, then I would expect KPL buttons D-G to turn off when KPL-C is toggled ON.  (Are your KPL buttons in non-toggle mode?)

If this is not happening, then my first guess would be link problems.  Have you tried restoring the KPL?  (There are no funny little symbols suggesting comm issues or updates pending, are there?)

Archived