Open and Close No Longer Working?

roblombardo

For some of us, this isn't true (point of the thread).  "close" doesn't work for us anymore on a garage door program.  And programs that control lights /do/ work.   Hence the confusion.

I'm /assuming/ Michel's statement is biased more toward "it's unreliable,"  versus "your house will explode..."  I hope.

I honestly don't understand why Amazon even cares what phrase is being used. They have proven just in this thread the so called *Reserved Phrases* can and will be used. Regardless, automating the largest door in your home never mind a smart lock via voice control is a disaster waiting to happen. Along with making no sense from a true security stand point where safety is the primary driver vs convenience.

This is especially important when the end user has no direct method to confirm its safe to do so.

There has been lots of talk about extra measures like using cameras, sensors, what ever in other threads. That doesn't supersede the need to use common sense and reflect upon the consequences of doing so. 

Just because you can do a thing ~ Doesn't mean you should!!!

I can safely state with a high level of confidence the first time you crush something. You better pray its not a living thing because it will haunt you forever . . .

Hi stusviews,

Based on the things we are doing in v3, my recommendation is not to use them since, in all likelihood, they might not be portable.

With kind regards,

Michel

Because open and close are not part of a spoken, they are used as on and off are, I really don't get why the portal skill would reserve words that Amazon hasn't (or have they?). And if they are reserved, then what are they reserved for? For example, volume is reserved for the Amazon Echo device itself (and for the Amazon Echo compatible Eufy), pause and play are reserved for the Amazon Fire TV.

Respectfully,

Stu

BTW, due to my Bklyn background, I tried. "Alexa, shut the light." Pleasantly, Alexa accommodated. And, "turn the device up (brighten) and turn the device down (dim)," work, too B)

I can safely state with a high level of confidence the first time you crush something. You better pray its not a living thing because it will haunt you forever . . .

That's especially true if you drive over a skunk B)

Archived