New Alexa-enabled devices

Rob

Amazon Alexa devices don't send anything to the cloud service until you say the "Alexa" or wakeup keyword.

I am not sure I truly believe this statement. There was a case in a US court where they had requested the Alexa information and there was 30s prior and after where it also grabbed info.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-has-handed-alexa-recordings-to-police-in-an-arkansas-murder-case-2017-3

I don’t have anything to hide but I want to protect my privacy. I am not going to tell you or anyone else your wrong and not to use these devices. However my choice is I am not going to put an always listening device in my home. Furthermore removing all the phrases resulted in some interesting things my DOTs picked up without using the wake word.

My point to this actually wasnt the fact of privacy but to say you dont need a Echo or DOT to use the Alexa/ISY portal. Which is pretty nice.

I am not sure I truly believe this statement. There was a case in a US court where they had requested the Alexa information and there was 30s prior and after where it also grabbed info.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-has-handed-alexa-recordings-to-police-in-an-arkansas-murder-case-2017-3

I don’t have anything to hide but I want to protect my privacy. I am not going to tell you or anyone else your wrong and not to use these devices. However my choice is I am not going to put an always listening device in my home. Furthermore removing all the phrases resulted in some interesting things my DOTs picked up without using the wake word.

My point to this actually wasnt the fact of privacy but to say you dont need a Echo or DOT to use the Alexa/ISY portal. Which is pretty nice.

IIRC, the police were told Alexa only recorded the text version of triggered commands.

However, looking at the app now we know this is not true anymore. Under certain response situations (I think mis-understood ones) you can play back your own voice from an online recording.

IIRC, the police were told Alexa only recorded the text version of triggered commands.

However, looking at the app now we know this is not true anymore. Under certain response situations (I think mis-understood ones) you can play back your own voice from an online recording.

All three are stored: Text, Voice, Cloud Copy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct... and that's different than "open mic".

In other words only when Alex 1) was addressed or 2) mistakenly thought she was addressed.  The 2)s are few and far between for us.

Paul

Correct... and that's different than "open mic".

In other words only when Alex 1) was addressed or 2) mistakenly thought she was addressed.  The 2)s are few and far between for us.

Paul

It's an easy check with the traffic inside your router and nothing is happening now, with first addressing Alexa but that could change so the fear of hacking is eminent.

Short of the nasty comments about that stupid neighbour, and the body in the basement, what else is there to hear? :)

It's an easy check with the traffic inside your router and nothing is happening now, with first addressing Alexa but that could change so the fear of hacking is eminent.

Short of the nasty comments about that stupid neighbour, and the body in the basement, what else is there to hear? :)

LOL. 

Archived