What is "Live Update" and "Smart Home Skill v3"

gdntx

Will we ever have commands based on the room?

Example.

An Echo in Room 1, Room 2 and Room 3.

Room 1: The Echo in the room has "Lights" is set to control lamp A and Lamp B.

Room 2: The Echo in the room has "Lights" is set to control lamp C.

Room 3: The Echo in the room has "Lights" is set to control dimmer F.

I go into Room 2 and say "Alex, Lights on.

And the Echo in Room 2 turns on lamp C. The Echos in Room 1 and Room 3 do nothing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Example.

And the Echo in Room 2 turns on lamp C. The Echos in Room 1 and Room 3 do nothing.

I'm not aware of any Amazon plans to facilitate this.

Each echo can have the skill linked to an ISY Portal user profile, which can be different. So today, the only way to achieve this is to have sub-accounts, with each having a user profile used by each echo.

Note that in V3, account linking is simplified. When you enable the skill, you link directly to an ISY Portal profile, not an amazon account. So, to support multi-room, you no longer need to have multiple amazon accounts.

Benoit

Looks like the amazon webpage Alexa access has been locked out to Canadian IP addresses again. It will not take a login anymore.

The account name and password can be filled in but all buttons and options are dead and do not respond.

hmmmmm.... Google Home is looking better all the time, especially with multiple Echoes and Dots responding simultaneously and just not answering at times. This has become much more frequent lately.

Yesterday we did a little experiment and found some Dots would add a certain item to our shopping list while the Echo and Dot across the room would not add it, or even respond when that particular phrase was used. When we removed the "Robin Hood" name from the item it worked flawlessly every time. This happened with one Echo and one Dot. The other two Dots had no problem with the same phrase it at all. Just ignoring and not even acknowledging  the request is not a good response

I have also noticed the alexa appl on my android phone is taking upward to 90-100 seconds to access my shopping list now. It is becoming a PITA to use.

UPDATE: i just tried an old link I had on my browser and  for a split-second distinctly saw a webpage with "App is offline" before the same dead login page was came up.

UPDATE2:Trying to load it again the full application webpage comes up with the menus down the left side but there is a message in the middle of the the page with seomthing about being offline. The flash was too fast to read,  before the dead login page replaces it. I hope this isn't a new attempt to trap out  Canadian IP adresses again, making the whole amazon system useless in Canada.  I will try to delete my google and amazon cookies as this was a problem in the beginning despite launching from NY state. It garbbed my information from google and knew I was a Canadian resident. I had to use a virgin computer I just purchased, with no google account links installed.

I'm not aware of any Amazon plans to facilitate this.

Each echo can have the skill linked to an ISY Portal user profile, which can be different. So today, the only way to achieve this is to have sub-accounts, with each having a user profile used by each echo.

Note that in V3, account linking is simplified. When you enable the skill, you link directly to an ISY Portal profile, not an amazon account. So, to support multi-room, you no longer need to have multiple amazon accounts.

Benoit

What Amazon said on this topic was that they will let you group your echos into Amazon groups with smarthome devices, which will effectively define what is in that room.  This is why we were discussing groups in this thread at all and why I asked if Amazon would ever pass it on to us through the API instead of keeping the information locked up in their ecosystem. 

Their solution is you create a group (In Amazon's app) for each room that has an echo and put the devices (Or scene) you would want to respond to the local call of "Alexa turn on/off the lights"

I would assume they will add capability to add media devices to rooms in a similar fashion.

So we can potentially steal the info by putting a program or variable in the group with the echo in Amazon, but that will be a clugey workaround.

(See post # 13 above)  https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/22604-what-is-live-update-and-smart-home-skill-v3/?p=221277

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but it looks like echo-centric smarthome groups has arrived...

How is that different from the existing ability to create groups, other then it being smartphone ability?

post-625-0-90121400-1509497189_thumb.png

From their documentation, I'm not sure how this is supposed to be helpful.   They say create a group, and add the echo to the group... great.  They also say, "Give each group a different name if you have multiple groups. "  How does this help me create 2 groups with Echos in different rooms, and say "turn on the lights?"   Must be missing something.

Each Alexa device can be assigned to only one group. You than can use that device to turn on or off only that group assigned to it by saying turn lights on or off. This makes the whole thing very limited. The other problem is that I can’t get it to work. Maybe I’m missing something.

When I do that, it turns on all the lights in the room. I just want it to turn on the lightning tag as "light".

Then only put that light in the group.  Or put a scene in the group and change the members of the scene in ISY without having to fiddle with the Echo grouping ever again.

Example.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeautomation/comments/79bi8w/speak_naturally_to_your_alexa_context_aware/

This should already be possible, but I haven't been able to get it to work. Maybe because my devices don't look like lights? :/

Archived