In anticpation of getting yelled at by my wife...

bcdavis75

I just installed a new LED track light.  Looks great but has a very audible hum when connected to an insteon dimmer.  The electrician also tried a Lutron dimmer.  Same hum.  With no dimmer... no hum.  The lights are rated to be dimmable with an "electronic dimmer".  He even called insteon to ask but couldn't seem to get an answer regarding insteon dimmers.

So are the compatible with "electronic dimming" load?  If not... so I have any options?  I'm guessing a relay would work but it's not ideal.  These lights need to be dimmed at night.  

I just installed a new LED track light.  Looks great but has a very audible hum when connected to an insteon dimmer.  The electrician also tried a Lutron dimmer.  Same hum.  With no dimmer... no hum.  The lights are rated to be dimmable with an "electronic dimmer".  He even called insteon to ask but couldn't seem to get an answer regarding insteon dimmers.

So are the compatible with "electronic dimming" load?  If not... so I have any options?  I'm guessing a relay would work but it's not ideal.  These lights need to be dimmed at night.  

Your options based on stress vs reward: Replace the load with another LED brand, Install a Micro Dimmer at the fixture, Install incandescent / halogen bulbs which the switch is rated for, add a small incandescent load to the branch circuit. 

I should mention... this is the light:

https://www.lumens.com/silo-x20-led-monopoint-by-wac-lighting-WAC662502.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=&scid=scplpWAC662502&sc_intid=WAC662502

There are 5 on the track.  The bulbs cannot be replaced (integrated into the fixture).  Also, the track is 30 feet up and was installed with scaffold... which is now gone.

Good times.

I can confirm that a dumb on/off does not hum.  I don't have an insteon relay handy but I could order one.

I should mention... this is the light:

https://www.lumens.com/silo-x20-led-monopoint-by-wac-lighting-WAC662502.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=PLA&utm_term=&scid=scplpWAC662502&sc_intid=WAC662502

There are 5 on the track.  The bulbs cannot be replaced (integrated into the fixture).  Also, the track is 30 feet up and was installed with scaffold... which is now gone.

Good times.

I can confirm that a dumb on/off does not hum.  I don't have an insteon relay handy but I could order one.

The are only a few Insteon devices which state it supports LED loads which are the ILL and the other thing which I can't recall?!? I believe its the ballast thingy but that's for electronic ballasts!

Your options based on stress vs reward: Replace the load with another LED brand, Install a Micro Dimmer at the fixture, Install incandescent / halogen bulbs which the switch is rated for, add a small incandescent load to the branch circuit. 

Hey Teken.  How would a mico dimmer change the dynamic?

Also, just  curious would another option be to get something like this:

https://www.homecontrols.com/Leviton-Vizia-RF-600W-Electronic-Low-Voltage-Scene-Capable-Dimmer-LVVRE061L

I'd need to upgrde my ISY for Zwave... but I've been starting to feel like going down that road anyway.

Hey Teken.  How would a mico dimmer change the dynamic?

Also, just  curious would another option be to get something like this:

https://www.homecontrols.com/Leviton-Vizia-RF-600W-Electronic-Low-Voltage-Scene-Capable-Dimmer-LVVRE061L

I'd need to upgrde my ISY for Zwave... but I've been starting to feel like going down that road anyway.

For the benefit of others who may stumble upon this thread even though the product you're using doesn't *Officially Support* LED fixtures. Tens of millions of people have been doing so with great results.

You can count me as one of those millions who have had nothing but positive results using Insteon and LED bulbs. The key is to find, test, and validate said load is fine in all manner of operations from turning on, turning off, no hum, buzz, flicker, to strobing. As noted there are several other Insteon dimmable hardware and they are Switch Linc which you have in place now.

The Micro Dimmer which allows you to make a *Dumb* switch smart and still keep that classic switch in place. Then, there is the Inline Linc which does state it supports LED loads and various others. The problem as you clearly stated is the fixture is 30 feet in the air and I personally would not entertain placing any Insteon hardware in those extreme heights.

You have to be mental to think long term that is a good idea . .  .

Regardless, the link you provided looks good and (IF) you were going to migrate to Z-Wave ~ Why not.

Its pretty expansive for a switch but if it works that's all that matters. Having said this there is a Leviton ELV  (None Smart) dimmer which I would encourage you to use and test first.

Why???

Because it will 100% identify and eliminate the fixture as the root cause.

You don't want to buy a $120.XX Z-Wave switch only to find out it still buzzes & hums!

I would humbly suggest you purchase one of those $25.00 Leviton ELV dimmers form Home Depot and find out first and you can return it later if it passes this basic test.

Good suggestion.  I can try it.  I didn't search too hard.. I'm sure there are ELV Z wave dimmers that cost less too.  But a dumb dimmer test s worth a shot.

I COULD live with hum (not sure about the wife)... but I'm worried about damaging the load... which is not easily reachable.

I'm guessing there's no verified news about Insteon coming out with an ELV wall dimmer?

Looks like the driver is built into the fixture, so that rules out hiding the driver somewhere you can't hear it.

Doing Teken's test sounds like a good place to start.  Obviously, if that fails then you know you have a fixture problem, not a dimmer problem (or both).

Also, don't buy a house with 30 feet ceilings helps.  

Good suggestion.  I can try it.  I didn't search too hard.. I'm sure there are ELV Z wave dimmers that cost less too.  But a dumb dimmer test s worth a shot.

I COULD live with hum (not sure about the wife)... but I'm worried about damaging the load... which is not easily reachable.

I'm guessing there's no verified news about Insteon coming out with an ELV wall dimmer?

A quick search for just the Leviton branded ELV dimmers shows the prices range from $26 ~ 65.XX. I would keep other brands on your list just in case your location doesn't carry them locally.

Then again that's why they created the Internet for shopping: Amazon, Ebay, Home Depot, Lowes, Who ever . . .

I can tell you with a high level of confidence the hum / buzz will only irritate you as time goes on. No clue if Smartlabs will ever update their hardware to support more *Typical Loads* now seen in the open market place. Lastly, as you noted dimming that specific load with out a ELV dimmer will in the long run damage the PSU in the LED fixture.

Looks like the driver is built into the fixture, so that rules out hiding the driver somewhere you can't hear it.

Doing Teken's test sounds like a good place to start.  Obviously, if that fails then you know you have a fixture problem, not a dimmer problem (or both).

Also, don't buy a house with 30 feet ceilings helps.  

Clearly, Nurff foot ball was never on your radar . . .  :mrgreen:

Just in case some of the different major brands escapes you these are the most common: Arrow, Eaton, Cooper, Leviton, Pass  & Seymour (P&S), Hubbell. There are many 2nd & 3rd tier switch makers too but this is more for information than anything for common brands.

Circle back and let us know how things turn out ~ Good vs Bad. 

Sorry, I forgot to add if you're going to purchase a Z-Wave switch of any kind ensure it supports *Instant Status*. Otherwise you're going to really pull your hair out of your head!

NOTE: There are only a few Z-Wave manufactures that support *Instant Status*.

LOL . . .

• 2 weeks later...

Archived