Amazon Echo Routines

Thanatar

Well we have all managed to extend the number of posts taken up by it from one to about 10 now. ...oooops! :)

That's an issue with "editorial" replies. We can ignore them and let the posters continue to fill up topics or we can call the out and hope the posters take notice and stop.

I've lost faith that it will ever improve.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The next major natural language breakthrough is going to be when it is possible to speak to an echo in any given room and just say "turn the lights on."  It's weird when I'm in the kitchen and have to say "turn on the kitchen lights," or similar in any other room.  I think this will be coming soon as well.

This already exists for Echo and will work with ISY when v3 is approved. You create a Group w/ the Echo and lights in that room. Now, when you say "Alexa, turn on the lights" to *that* Echo, the lights in that group turn on/off. Each Echo can only be in *one* group. Nice and elegant way of doing it, I think. Now I have a good excuse to have one in *every* room! :)

OK I have my morning routine setup , turns on a couple devices, weather etc. But my Goodnight routine I cannot get to work. I have a "all off" for my main floor that I would like to use. I have tried both setting them up in a scene that I normally control with a keypad button by my bed, and a program that runs the scene. But nothing I do makes it run. I can go in my alexa app and select either the scene or program and trigger it just fine, but it does not want to do anything in a routine?

OK I have my morning routine setup , turns on a couple devices, weather etc. But my Goodnight routine I cannot get to work. I have a "all off" for my main floor that I would like to use. I have tried both setting them up in a scene that I normally control with a keypad button by my bed, and a program that runs the scene. But nothing I do makes it run. I can go in my alexa app and select either the scene or program and trigger it just fine, but it does not want to do anything in a routine?

Are you turning On a scene with devices set to Off, or are you turning Off a scene with devices set to On?

I have similar issue with "Good Night" on Google Home.    Google has made "Good Night" their standard shortcut and other than wishing me to sleep well, it does nothing. I tried to call the shortcut Buenas Noches but when I say OK Google Buenas Noches, it replies Good Night.... However I made it work by linking a ISY scene named Good Night and saying OK Google Turn On Good Night. But it feel weird to say Turn ON when I want the lights to go OFF.

What does Alexa say when you try to run the routine via voice command? You might try using "good night' rather than "goodnight" and see if that makes a difference. If she replies "OK" then she understood it as a command. If she replies "Good Night" then she's just being polite. I'm using "Good Night" and it works. 

OK so the scene in ISY that contains all my lights as responders and 1 keypad button(non-toggle-off) as the controller will turn of the scene either using the controller or at the scene level in ISY turning of the scene will turn everything off as well. I went ahead and added the ISY scene to Alexa via ISY portal.

The scene shows up in Alexa app under "Devices" I can go to the device and toggle "off" and it would work one time then never again, unless I remove the scene from the portal and add it back.

The Alexa does respond with OK when I say "Alexa good night"

I did try it with another scene that turns some lights on, which works just fine the only difference is that the scene that is working does not have a control device, only responders. Where the one I have issues with has one control device as well.

Alexa cannot control a scene unless you ask it to turn the scene_name On or Off. Just saying "Alexa, good night" won't work. OTOH, a routine will respond to "good night."

I'm trying to use these new routines, but am having trouble and wanted to know if this is expected.

I can control my scenes and programs via Alexa and my ISY by saying commands like, Alexa, turn on Master Bedroom Lights.  This works great.

I'd like to use the new Routines to reduce the words required for common phrases like Good Night.

Here's what I've tried...

1. Using the Alexa app on iOS, I access Routines from the main menu.

2. Create a new Routine

3. Select 'Smart Home'

4. Select 'Control device'

5. I see all my Scenes and Programs that I can control with Alexa 'turn on' voice commands, but when I select one of them, I get the error...
"Alert.  This device is not currently supported."

Is this supposed to be working?  If so, how should I troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

I'm trying to use these new routines, but am having trouble and wanted to know if this is expected.

I can control my scenes and programs via Alexa and my ISY by saying commands like, Alexa, turn on Master Bedroom Lights. This works great.

I'd like to use the new Routines to reduce the words required for common phrases like Good Night.

Here's what I've tried...

1. Using the Alexa app on iOS, I access Routines from the main menu.

2. Create a new Routine

3. Select 'Smart Home'

4. Select 'Control device'

5. I see all my Scenes and Programs that I can control with Alexa 'turn on' voice commands, but when I select one of them, I get the error...

"Alert. This device is not currently supported."

Is this supposed to be working? If so, how should I troubleshoot this.

Thanks!

I've had routines working for a week or two and they all suddenly broke. I noticed this morning when it said "sorry I'm having trouble please try again in a little while." Still saying the same thing this evening. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

shawnmc, which specific device are you selecting? or is it a scene?

toflaherty, all my Routines are working. What's the result if you try now? Can you still control the device/scene/program from the Administrative Console?

shawnmc, which specific device are you selecting? or is it a scene?

I have an ISY-994 and I tried selecting both Scenes and Programs from the "Control Device" list.  Regardless of what I choose, I get the "This device is not currently supported" message.

These Scenes and Programs say they are connected via 'Universal Devices'.

Is there something else I'm missing?

I don't see anything that you're missing that would cause that message. But, where are you seeing , "These Scenes and Programs say they are connected via 'Universal Devices' ".

I've had routines working for a week or two and they all suddenly broke. I noticed this morning when it said "sorry I'm having trouble please try again in a little while." Still saying the same thing this evening. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

I believe that is usually a WiFi connection problem when you get that message back. Upgrades may have been in progress.

Archived