Why does admin.jnlp have to download applet every time?

starmanj

To get to the admin console, I click on "admin.jnlp".  It starts downloading the applet from my ISY which is slow...Where is the applet downloaded?  Shouldn't I be able to click on the applet it downloads instead of the admin.jnlp?  Can't find it anywhere...

starmanj

I think what you are clicking is a weblink to admin.jnlp and not the file itself.  Assuming you're using windows, open file explorer and search for admin.jnlp. If java is loaded, it should have the white "cup of coffee" icon. Move that somewhere you want it. If there's more than one you'll need to make sure its the right version.. the only way I know is to execute the file

Alternatively you can look here for your your current firmware version and follow step 4a in the first post to download admin.jnlp. That's what you want to use

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried many many times...clicking on admin.jnlp starts a download from I assume my ISY994i, and the "finder" automatically opens up. I have no idea where the downloaded console app is going. It is not going to my desktop as the guide says.

I have found my applet in various places over the years. Look in the start pullup menu under ISY.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Hi Michel-

No-- the subject is where is the applet?  I have the admin.jnlp, but that is downloaded every single time; per the wiki:

1. "ISY994i Series: Click on admin console link... this should put an icon on your desktop once you click on the downloaded admin.jnlp file"

This does not happen.  I don't see an icon for the admin console anywhere on my computer; I looked on the desktop, username folder, both major temp files...it's the case of the missing admin console applet.

If you go to your windows download folder, do you find admin.jnlp there? If its not there, you can open file explorer, click on Drive C: and type in admin.jnlp in the search box. (it might take a minute or so)

Move it when you find it to your desktop

If that doesn't help, can you post a screen shot of what you're clicking?

Paul

I have the admin.jnlp.  Maybe I've got this all wrong...when you click on admin.jnlp, is the java app supposed to then download another java app from the ISY?  Because it takes about 5 seconds every single time to download that applet.  Why does it have to download the applet every time?  Am I supposed to click on admin.jnlp to bring up the admin console, or is there supposed to be available the java app that admin.jnlp has ALREADY downloaded previously?

I would attach a screenshot but I can't figure out how to upload an image on this BBS.  I've done it before but this "my media" thing only lets you post images uploaded previously by some inscrutable mechanism...or from an URL...or something...

I have the admin.jnlp. Maybe I've got this all wrong...when you click on admin.jnlp, is the java app supposed to then download another java app from the ISY? Because it takes about 5 seconds every single time to download that applet. Why does it have to download the applet every time? Am I supposed to click on admin.jnlp to bring up the admin console, or is there supposed to be available the java app that admin.jnlp has ALREADY downloaded previously?

I would attach a screenshot but I can't figure out how to upload an image on this BBS. I've done it before but this "my media" thing only lets you post images uploaded previously by some inscrutable mechanism...or from an URL...or something...

Java needs to be installed on your computer before downloading admin.jnlp.

Once admin.jnlp is downloaded you can then install admin.jnlp by double clicking on the admin.jnlp downloaded file.

My experience has been the downloaded file will show up at the bottom of my screen as a downloaded file. I double click the file and it brings up Java then the ISY finder pops up, finds my Is and away we go.

If admin.jnlp doesn't appear at the bottom of your screen after downloading, you should be able to find it in the download file on your computer.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Based on what I've seen so far, it seems like something is not right with Java, that java is not caching your admin.jnlp

I can think of 2 things it could be

• The java cache is corrupt / damaged and needs to be cleared (which you indicated you did)
  • The java client is configured to not cache apps local:
    • Go to the java control panel, General / first tab
    • Click View next to Temporary Internet Files. Does it look like the attached pic?
      • post-5496-0-26864300-1513530940_thumb.jpg
        • If no, Go to settings under Temporary Internet Files
          • Is Keep temporary files on my computer checked?
          • Check it if not and retry
        • If yes, as a precaution, I would go under Delete files, check all three boxes and delete it all and try again

Paul

If you're using Windows, click on Cortana and search for ISY. Right click for a Menu. Select "Open file location" if you want th drag an icon to your desktop and/or Pin to Start to place an icon at the bottom, left of you're screen. I do both.

• 10 months later...
It says I do have the 32 bit java
I manually installed it again, cleared cache and still the same results.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you reboot the computer after the re-install of java? If java_home wasn’t set right, the computer sometimes needs to be rebooted to set it for runtime.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived