Recommendations for Motion Sensors

Mark Arzillo

Ok Stu,

Excuse my ignorance... I have created that folder and added the laundry room motion detector to IF.

But where and how should I program that the laundry light does not switch OFF if the detector detects motion ?

Should I not use IF for the ceiling light, with the condition IF ceiling light is ON....  and then create a program that ignores the motion detector ?

As you can see I am pretty confused   :cry:

You shouldn't add a motion detector status or control / switched  to a folder condition.

Add the status of the light to the folder.

Add the motion sensor control / switched to the program operating the light (as you probably aready have) 

Now drag and drop the program to the folder and let it go inside the folder.

I am not disagreeing with Stu at all, just attempting to clarify the possible confusion of using  the method.

shhhhhhh... Don't wake Stu. He is prepping for the big night tonight and will be testing it first so we can safety enjoy it an hour or more later. :)

You shouldn't add a motion detector status or control / switched  to a folder condition.

Add the status of the light to the folder.

Add the motion sensor control / switched to the program operating the light (as you probably aready have) 

Now drag and drop the program to the folder and let it go inside the folder.

I am not disagreeing with Stu at all, just attempting to clarify the possible confusion of using  the method.

shhhhhhh... Don't wake Stu. He is prepping for the big night tonight and will be testing it first so we can safety enjoy it an hour or more later. :)

Larry

Does this (see attachments) make sense ?

post-6492-0-24374400-1514736681_thumb.png

post-6492-0-79247800-1514736695_thumb.png

post-6492-0-48418300-1514736708_thumb.png

Based on what you posted it should work.  What is happening?

Regardless, that is not, in my opinion a good way of doing what it appears you are trying to accomplish.  Basically the light turns off no matter if someone is still in the laundry room or not. It seems like what you are looking to do is light the room for 2 minutes if someone comes out of the elevator and just walks by / through the laundry room however you do not want the light in the laundry room to turn off if someone is still in it.  It could be the person who came out of the elevator or someone who was already in the room but nevertheless you would not want to turn out the light if there is motion in the laundry room (assuming you have a motion sensor there).

If my assumptions are correct, what you want is something that turns the lights on when there is motion outside the elevator or in the laundry room and only turn off the lights if motion has stopped for a set period of time in the laundry room.  Using a state variable to track how long it has been since motion was detected would be a way to do that and then only turn off the lights if the state variable is greater than your set time frame. Each time your motion sensor in the laundry room detects motion set the variable to zero.  Then have a program that increments it by one each minute.  Lastly have a program that says if the state var is > 2 (or whatever you want) turn the lights off.

Unfortunately it does not work.....

Here is a problem with folder conditions.

As with all other ISY statuses of devices it only knows what it has been told ...last. When you create a folder condition it always seems to think it is negative and locks out the folder from operating.

Try operating the light switch manually so that the folder comes up to speed.

OK I just found two brand new older motions that I forgot I had 2842-222 and 2420M. Each is new never set up before. I have the ISY 994i Pro trying to add these motion sensors to ISY and getting an error (cannot determine insteon engine). I am getting this error with both motion sensors. Has anyone come across this one before.

ISY firmware 4.6.2. Would like to get these working because the new models are no good.

Posted my problem too soon before doing more investigation. Looks like my PLM is bad. Wow it's just over a year old. These things don't last long. Smarthome needs to design these better. After having this happen a couple of times in the past I purchased two last time and have one as a spare. Just a pain in the you know what to be switching it out.

Here is a problem with folder conditions.

As with all other ISY statuses of devices it only knows what it has been told ...last. When you create a folder condition it always seems to think it is negative and locks out the folder from operating.

Try operating the light switch manually so that the folder comes up to speed.

No luck

Back to the original topic of recommendations for motion sensors.  I decided to purchase the Aeotec MultiSensor 6 to see how that goes. It's a bit expensive at $60 but I like the multi-sensor capability so maybe it's worth it. I'll be installing it using a Recessor Mount and it will be plugged into a power outlet that I have in the loft area it will be mounted to.  It should look very nice when done so hopefully the functionality will be satisfactory.

I also decided to purchase some more GE Z-Wave Plus wall switches (have several already) and an Aeotec Range Extender in hopes to extend my Z-Wave network to my detached garage which sits about 120ft from my house.  I'm going to first jump to my well house which sits around 40 ft from the house and then to the garage.  We'll see how all of that goes.  Looking forward to everything getting here so I can start playing.  Should be here before the weekend.

I think that it now works. Silly me forgot to enable the program  :idea:

What happens if you come out of the elevator when the laundry room lights are off and you hang around the laundry room for 2+ minutes?  Do the lights turn off on you?

What happens if you come out of the elevator when the laundry room lights are off and you hang around the laundry room for 2+ minutes?  Do the lights turn off on you?

I proclaimed victory too quickly.....  The program gets the laundry light to switch on upon motion detection but it does not switch off at all. I have tried different times, from 15 seconds to 5 minutes (to exceed the time the motion detector remains on), but I just do not get the light to go off after a set time.

I proclaimed victory too quickly.....  The program gets the laundry light to switch on upon motion detection but it does not switch off at all. I have tried different times, from 15 seconds to 5 minutes (to exceed the time the motion detector remains on), but I just do not get the light to go off after a set time.

I seem to have found a way.... It consists of 2 programs

(1)

IF Motion detector is switched On

AND

Laundry light is OFF

Then set Laundry Light ON

RUN Program X (Then Path)

(2) Program X

{Nothing in IF}

THEN wait 2 minutes

set laundry light off

If the laundry light was already On, then the motion will have no impact on the laundry light.

What's the result if you run the program's Then? Why do you have a folder condition? Is it to disable the program in the event the light is already on (e.g., turned on manually). The problem I see is that as soon as the light is turned on, the folder condition becomes false and the program stops at Wait.

I seem to have found a way.... It consists of 2 programs

(1)

AND

Laundry light is OFF

Then set Laundry Light ON

RUN Program X (Then Path)

(2) Program X

{Nothing in IF}

THEN wait 2 minutes

set laundry light off

If the laundry light was already On, then the motion will have no impact on the laundry light.

Maybe I tuned in too late but why are we deviating from the standard three line program for a MS and Light?

Who cares if the light ws off if we are turning it on?

AND

Laundry light is OFF

Then

....set Laundry Light ON

,,,, wait 2 minutes

,,,,set laundry light off

Else

....nothin'

Zippo. Waits are retriggerable in ISY.

If he keeps moving the Wait (in the Then section) starts over each time. Most disable the Off send from the MS so ISY can control it based on more decisions.

Archived