Three Insteon controls I can't get to work

I am trying to set up a bunch of light controllers. Three devices will not work correctly. Two of these share a common factor, and I am asking if this is the problem for them. Another may be broken. A fourth relay may also be broken.

The two are 8 button relays. Every time I try to set things up, these two are continually wanting to be rewritten. There are 6 links configured for each of these two (and a third with a different problem). The only common factor I can identify is that each of the two are connected to power, but button 1 is not connected to a load. The switches have line and neutral connected, but load is not. Is this the problem? If so, what should I do with the load wire?

A third switch works for the connected load, but nothing else. The admin console says it "cannot determine insteon engine". And it can't see the address. What does that message mean? My guess is that the switch is bad. Ideas?

While we are at it, I also have an on/off module with a red exclamation mark in front of it. I am also guessing is also a bad device. Unfortunately I don't have a spare for that and it de-ices my front door ramp. I have scanned through the manual a couple of times and I can't find a definition of the use of the mark. It has to be somewhere, but I have not found it.

Lacking a load should not be a problem. I have many devices without loads attached. Red exclamation indicates communication problems. It starts to look like a common theme along with your keypads.

First, confirm what other electronic devices are on the same circuit as your plm. Second, confirm that you have good communication between legs of your electrical system.

I would not assume that you have bad devices. If you are up to it, remove suspect devices and temprarily wire them to an extension cors. Plug that cord into the same outlet as your plm. Try the write/linking again.

You have a communications  issue as pointed out.

Red ! is not a bad module usually.

Make sure the PLM is not on the same outlets as the computing equipment. If the equipment is not isolated by a filter. Like a FilterLinc.

You may want to try a test. Using an extension cord. Power the PLM from a different circuit and see if thing have changed.

You could also use the built in Communications {Beacon in some manuals} test to see if the you have communications between the Dual Band modules, the PLM and both phases of the home.

There are two circuits in the room. All the equipment passes through line filters which are multi plug distribution for the equipment. In addition to the PLM, I have an RF unit on each circuit. Everything else in the house works (about 20 devices total). I can't really give the PLM it's own circuit.

Several other dual band devices also scattered around. I will take a look at "communications". I presume this involves the plug in RF devices checking each device.

Many line filters are really good at their job of filtering out aberrations from a clean powerline. That includes Insteon signals. Those particular line filters should also be on a FilterLinc.

Check the SwitchLinc switches full users manuals.

Since they are Dual Band {except the ToggleLinc models}. They also have a communications or beacon test built in.

As Stu pointed out. Many normally used AC conditioners and filters. Will absorb Insteon power line commands as noise.

The RF unit you mentioned. Maybe getting the Insteon messages to others by RF.

The three switches having the problem. May not be in RF range of a Dual Band Module or the power line commands from the RF module is not getting to the switches. Dual Band SwitchLincs may have limited RF range if mounted in a metal electrical box.

Archived