Looking for unobtrusive wire for an Insteon relay

fasttimes

It's more about the price of the baseboard that determines it. Most of these baseboard styles are only 1/4" thick now so any expansion required would require a quarter round to thicken it out ad hide the expansiongap required by the the new-tech laminates.

In the old days baseboard was a good 3/4 inch or 1 inch thick. When I built  house i specifically looked for extra thick mouldings.

Real hardware flooring doesn't need much expansion. If they expanded it would tear all the fastening nails out of the floor. I use tropical TigerWood (not a golf thing) and it just doesn't move at all in 35 feet. Heck, left ouside in the winter the wood doesn't abosrb hardly any moisture or show any UV damage.

The newer plastic laminates require a lot of expansion and will bubble your floor badly. I have seen floors done by home-owners bubble 3 feet high  in the air in the middle because they were pinned down at each end.

This comes back to the OP. Why do you need to run a wire for Insteon?

It's more about the price of the baseboard that determines it. Most of these baseboard styles are only 1/4" thick now so any expansion required would require a quarter round to thicken it out ad hide the expansiongap required by the the new-tech laminates.

In the old days baseboard was a good 3/4 inch or 1 inch thick. When I built house i specifically looked for extra thick mouldings.

Real hardware flooring doesn't need much expansion. If they expanded it would tear all the fastening nails out of the floor. I use tropical TigerWood (not a golf thing) and it just doesn't move at all in 35 feet. Heck, left ouside in the winter the wood doesn't abosrb hardly any moisture or show any UV damage.

The newer plastic laminates require a lot of expansion and will bubble your floor badly. I have seen floors done by home-owners bubble 3 feet high in the air in the middle because they were pinned down at each end.

This comes back to the OP. Why do you need to run a wire for Insteon?

In US baseboard is 1/2 inch thick so that's not an issue.

Baseboard is whatever you pick. There is no code that says 1/2 inch thick. I have been in modern homes with no baseboard at all.

I didn't say there was a code. I've noticed you like to read into sentences what isn't stated.

Go to any lumber store and ask for baseboard. You will be shown items that are no less than 1/2 inch thick.

You can say the same thing to Larry but you didn't. The is no code in Canada that says it's 1/4 inch. Besides, Canada is metric.

And you can't even quote me correctly.

Here are two Borg website searches for the US and the Canuck site. Take your pick. Baseboard comes from 1/4" to 1" thick in either culture. Production builders never  put in the thicker stuff so people end up using 1/4 round moulding attached to their existing base when they redo their floors to save time. I only did that once for  a house I dumped.

As a builder/woodworker myself,  I find the look of an "add-on" 1/4 round to be cheap looking and appears as a patch job. It is very common to see it and very little baseboard is ever seen in a house anyway.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/categories/building-materials/moulding-and-millwork/moulding/baseboard-moulding.html

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Moulding-Millwork-Moulding/N-5yc1vZara1/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-baseboard?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

Note: Canada is not metric. They are trying to be metric and it became a legal requirement for about ten years until a gas vendor contested it after he was charged with selling gasoline in avoirdupois measurements.. USA started metricating much earlier, about  1955, but never forced  the concept.

When our sheets of plywood stop being sold into the USA they may become metric sizes. Once that happens the metrication will begin again in the lumber industry. Put that in your 2 x 4s :)

Go to any lumber store and ask for baseboard. You will be shown items that are no less than 1/2 inch thick.

You can say the same thing to Larry but you didn't. The is no code in Canada that says it's 1/4 inch. Besides, Canada is metric.

??  Seriously, I added the word "the".

In the US, baseboard is whatever you pick.  Period.  And no, I can't say anything to Larry because I have no idea what code may or may not exist in Canada.  Feel free to research it if you like.

My house has 5/8 thick baseboard.

My neighbor has no baseboard at all.

So no, in the US baseboard has no defined thickness.  End of story.  

?? Seriously, I added the word "the".

In the US, baseboard is whatever you pick. Period. And no, I can't say anything to Larry because I have no idea what code may or may not exist in Canada. Feel free to research it if you like.

My house has 5/8 thick baseboard.

My neighbor has no baseboard at all.

So no, in the US baseboard has no defined thickness. End of story.

You're just not worth it.

This entire forum isn't worth it.

I want to run some wire along the baseboard that will be connected to a low voltage Insteon relay (2450). Obviously I want it to make it look as hidden as possible. Any suggestions? Most of the stuff I’ve seen has white lettering on the cable and I’d prefer not to have to use a sharpie to black it out.

If your walls are white, then Ghost Wire may be easy to conceal.

Baseboards are optional. So are shoes, but a 2 x 4 is not 2 x 4 and hasn't been for decades B)

Either is most kleenex! :) 

"2 x 4" has become a trade name for a product. The patent ran out! :) I would be  sure you worked with some real 2x4s in your day. Always fun to drill through 2 or 3 of them laminated. WoW!

A bit of history: The earliest duplex receptacles were installed in the baseboard, dictating their horizontal orientation and also their original name, "baseboard outlets." Vertical mounting became popular with the advent of drywall, making them easy to attach to a wall stud.

A bit of history: The earliest duplex receptacles were installed in the baseboard, dictating their horizontal orientation and also their original name, "baseboard outlets." Vertical mounting became popular with the advent of drywall, making them easy to attach to a wall stud.

I know in hospitals and noticed in some new residential construction the outlets have the ground oriented up. My understanding is this is considered safer since in a “whoops” situation you’re more likely to touch the ground than the hot. When I bought outlets recently I noticed the writing was oriented to be right side up with the receptacle upside down (IMO it’s upside down). So I guess things are always changing. I know my Elk transformers for example would not appreciate that setup as they’re designed to hang down with the ground at the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The way your outlets are installed on the lower walls isn't very common in Canada. The closet I've seen them orientated like this is on counters but never on walls. Is this a common thing in your neck of the woods?

It is here. I believe vertical mounting is more common nationwide. However, from an apartment when I lived downtown Chicago 20 years ago thru 4 suburban houses since then - all were horizontally mounted.

Home Depot here only stocks the (standard around here) 1/4 inch thick baseboard. Same with the local Menards and Lowe’s - who all can get 1/2” thick - they just don’t stock it.

Home Depot here only stocks the (standard around here) 1/4 inch thick baseboard. Same with the local Menards and Lowe’s - who all can get 1/2” thick - they just don’t stock it.

I used all 5/8" thick baseboard (Alexandria Moldings @ HD) but trying to buy a few more lengths recently, it has become really expensive at about $5 / foot for the pressed cardboard stuff. This is when you start cutting lengths in the store and leaving the waste 1' pieces there. :)

My local HD stocks mostly 9/16" baseboard and some 11/16", all sold in 12' lengths. OTOH, I go for quality baseboard sold in lengths of up to 20', so rarely a seam.

Quarter Round is standard here on new or remodeled construction.  I have not surveyed old houses, but they may have it for reasons of resurfaces as mentioned above.  I just assumed it was used everywhere, but I can understand tastes range.  In theory it prevents/reduces shoe scuffs on the baseboard.

I replace my baseboards with a taller version and had to use quarter round in some cases where I can run some wiring between the hardwood and the baseboard. I when I saw with and without, I asked him to add quarter round everywhere because it added some nice detail and broke up the large flat portion.

Archived