IOLinc issues

beninsteon

Hi,

I seem to have an IOLinc communication issue with my plm and am hoping someone can help me out.

The IOLinc is in a scene and it's a responder to a switch linc, mirroring on and off from the switch.

The scene is also controlled by the plm.

When controlled by the switch, the IOLinc always responds instantly to both on and off commands. Unfortunately, when the scene is triggered from the plm (eg via a Google home voice command), on and off always work for the switch, but only the on command is reliable for the IOLinc. I typically have to turn the scene off 4 or 5 times for the off command to reach the IOLinc.

Is this a sign of a bad IOLinc or is there something else I can do to troubleshoot?

Thanks,

Ben

The IOLinc is a power line communications only Insteon module. It most likely is not bad.

You probably have a signal issue between the PLM AC circuit and the IOLinc AC circuit. While the Switchlinc to the IOLinc and PLM  have a better power line signal. Could also be the SwitchLinc to the PLM are using the RF signals the IOLinc can't use.

Do you have any Dual Band Modules or Range Extenders coupling the two incoming power lines and used the built in communications tests to verify good communications?

Is the PLM on the same circuit as the computing equipment? They frequently  absorb Insteon power line signals if not on a FilterLinc.

You may want to unplug electronic devices and see if things change. As some also can absorb signals or make power line noise.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Turns out my stereo receiver on the same circuit, even when off, was causing the problem. Very strange the problem creeps up now because it's been the a long time.... Even before the IOLinc.

Ben

Ben

Sometimes its an "additive" problem. Meaning the stereo receiver created some noise, but the signal got through. Now, something else has been plugged in on the circuit and the and combination is enough to kill it, and removing the receiver lowers it back down enough to work

Paul

The receiver may have a nice AC rated capacitor across the power line input. To keep its internal electronic noise from feeding back on the power lines.

The cap will also absorb Insteon power line signals as noise. Even when Off. The capacitor is still there. That is why it is recommended to unplug devices when testing.

As pointed out. Added another device on the same circuit, May have killed the signal even more.

A FilterLinc on the receiver is one way to go.

If it was on the same AC Circuit as the computing equipment, UPS or AC conditioning outlet strip and the equipment was not on a FilterLinc. Probably absorbing the power line signals. Forcing most messages to try and use the Insteon RF signals.

Since the I/OLinc is power line only communications. It needed power line commands from either the PLM or another Dual Band device passing on the messages.

Unbelievable ... isolated my PLM on its own circuit and my entire insteon network is so much more reliable and snappy. Should have done this years ago.

If you can make that circuit an outlet hung on the appropriate fixture on your panel, that works the best in my experience. It gets it the closest to all of the houses circuits.s

Archived