Notify Me (Alex skill) Beta Test

randyth

Looking for a bit of help getting NotifyMe working with my ISY...

I am running v5.0.11C on the ISY.

Here is a screenshot of the Network Resource:

NotifyMe.thumb.jpg.693fdc4d62052395b2f8faf31713cb2f.jpg

When I run the test of this network resource, I get a error dialog box and nothing happens on the echo!

NotifyMe_02.jpg.ac70d21f4bda5e52f00e20cadde4ba7a.jpg

I also wrote a small python script based upon the instructions and this sends the notification to the echo!! Any ideas on what is wrong?

9 hours ago, GlowingHair said:

Yeah! Notify Me made the "Best Alexa Skills This Week" newsletter!

Whoa, wait, what?!  Is this the email Amazon SPAMs (er, sends) out every week?  You better not be pulling my leg. :-) 

In any case, I would greatly appreciate it if the people who find this skill useful help out my efforts by giving it a positive review here on Amazon's website. (Yes, a shameless plug -- sorry.)

It took a good amount of talking to convince Amazon to let this thing loose since, well, it's not exactly the "mass market" type of thing they are used to approving.  Good reviews help convince them I'm not just a crazy nerd trying the abuse my access to their notification system.  Well, I might be, but I'm a harmless crazy nerd.

-Randy 

57 minutes ago, randyth said:

Whoa, wait, what?!  Is this the email Amazon SPAMs (er, sends) out every week?  You better not be pulling my leg. :-) 

In any case, I would greatly appreciate it if the people who find this skill useful help out my efforts by giving it a positive review here on Amazon's website. (Yes, a shameless plug -- sorry.)

It took a good amount of talking to convince Amazon to let this thing loose since, well, it's not exactly the "mass market" type of thing they are used to approving.  Good reviews help convince them I'm not just a crazy nerd trying the abuse my access to their notification system.  Well, I might be, but I'm a harmless crazy nerd.

-Randy 

Hi Randy,

I left my review for the most awesome skill you have provided all of us . . .

Cheers!!! 

1 hour ago, randyth said:

-Randy 

Yep, I left one a while ago!  Thanks for the skill, too!

• 5 weeks later...

Just set this up and it works fine.  I notice though that when Alexa plays the notification, whatever was playing on the Alexa device (radio, prime music, etc) does not resume after the notification is played but remains stopped.  Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks!

It is expected in that it is how Amazon implemented their notification system.  This behavior could easily change in the future, of course, if Amazon decides it's better to let music continue after playing a notification.

For what it's worth, I've discovered you can say, "Alexa, resume" to get the music going again.

-Randy

1 minute ago, randyth said:

It is expected in that it is how Amazon implemented their notification system.  This behavior could easily change in the future, of course, if Amazon decides it's better to let music continue after playing a notification.

For what it's worth, I've discovered you can say, "Alexa, resume" to get the music going again.

-Randy

Thanks for the update. BTW, when I try that link you posted to provide a review, I'm told the service isn't available in my geographic area.  Otherwise, 5 stars!

1 minute ago, glarsen said:

Thanks for the update. BTW, when I try that link you posted to provide a review, I'm told the service isn't available in my geographic area.  Otherwise, 5 stars!

Ugh!  Must be because it links to Amazon's US site.

You should be able to review the skill in the Alexa app (click on Skills, search for Notify Me, click on it and then scroll down to Reviews).

In any case, I'm very glad you like it!

-Randy

• 1 month later...

I've been using Notify Me for months and suddenly it stopped working. I looked into it and found that I'm getting an error saying my access code is invalid. Since I hadn't made any changes I doubted that but I went back to the original email and double checked it was correct. So i requested a new access code but it's been 24 hours and I've not received a new code.

Anyone else experiencing trouble? Is this skill still working?

...a couple more things you might look into....

If you received a "Body lacks required accessCode field" error, it's likely because the JSON in the body is malformed.

As for generating a new access code, you can do this by disabling and re-enabling the skill, as you probably know.  However, you still need to launch the skill after doing this ("Alexa, open Notify Me") to trigger the email.  Launching the skill is what triggers the access code email.

-Randy

1 hour ago, randyth said:

...a couple more things you might look into....

If you received a "Body lacks required accessCode field" error, it's likely because the JSON in the body is malformed.

As for generating a new access code, you can do this by disabling and re-enabling the skill, as you probably know.  However, you still need to launch the skill after doing this ("Alexa, open Notify Me") to trigger the email.  Launching the skill is what triggers the access code email.

-Randy

The error was invalid access code even from the test link in the original email when I received the access code.

I did disable and re-enable the skill but forgot to relaunch. I've done that now so I'll look for the access code email again.

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, DonM said:

Is anyone else having a problem with 'Tell Me'?  Alexa no longer seems to be able to find the Tell Me items I have configured.

Don

I assume this question is about the Alexa Responder tool or the official ISY Optimized for Smart Home V3 skill, not the Notify Me skill.  If so, you might want to ask it in another thread.

This Notify Me Beta Test thread should probably be closed (since Notify Me is no longer in Beta) and/or moved here.

Cheers,

-Randy

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Cormacs said:

...The only issue I have is the odd time the notification doesn’t come. When I rerun the program the notification comes through.

That will happen whenever you try to send more than five notifications inside a five minute period.  This is a limitation enforced by Amazon.  Check out the FAQ for more information: 

Archived