RaspberryPi 3B+ is released

Scottmichaelj

Its departing its simple SOC roots. Its sneaking up on small server performance, you could probably run a small hypervisor on it practically.

It draws more power than its predecessors.. low operating costs being one of the value statements of the original. The $35 price seems to be the thing in common with its predecessors.

Looks like they spent all their money on improving  I/O speed. The 5GHz WiFi may be nice and BlueTooth for some that want it.  They seem to be hiding that they haven't increased the RAM memory from 1GByte. Several searches through the adverts finds no mention of the Ram size.

I use one RPi3 for a web browser and the extra memory would be nice to help speed things up. It does perform quite well mostly anyway with only 1GB.

The Basic kit to get going, runs just under $100 CAD plus shipping at Canakit.com

Its departing its simple SOC roots. Its sneaking up on small server performance, you could probably run a small hypervisor on it practically.
It draws more power than its predecessors.. low operating costs being one of the value statements of the original. The $35 price seems to be the thing in common with its predecessors.

Hmm the YouTube video I watched stated the power draw was less and cpu/overall power was better. The YouTube video was from EStephanie

Seems like there is speed bump (200mhz) - better WiFi, better Ethernet and on board Bluetooth too.

I don’t use these but seems like the update is worth it. Not sure where your seeing an increase in power.

Its about the difference between baseline power to boot it up and peak potential when using all of its capabilities... all processors at peak, wifi on AC. 

This text/formatting is from the first link on the page provided in your original post:

"Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply."

In the past you could get away with running these off of a phone charger, I'm suggesting those days are gone. It might boot up on a lesser supply, but problems could appear when putting a processor stressing load, adding 1GB or AC wifi. 

Paul

Its about the difference between baseline power to boot it up and peak potential when using all of its capabilities... all processors at peak, wifi on AC. This text/formatting is from the first link on the page provided in your original post: 

"Note that Raspberry Pi 3B+ does consume substantially more power than its predecessor. We strongly encourage you to use a high-quality 2.5A power supply, such as the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply."

In the past you could get away with running these off of a phone charger, I'm suggesting those days are gone. It might boot up on a lesser supply, but problems could appear when putting a processor stressing load, adding 1GB or AC wifi.  Paul  

See what happens when you don’t READ, but just watch videos lol I am so lazy.

Its about the difference between baseline power to boot it up and peak potential when using all of its capabilities... all processors at peak, wifi on AC. 

This text/formatting is from the first link on the page provided in your original post:

In the past you could get away with running these off of a phone charger, I'm suggesting those days are gone. It might boot up on a lesser supply, but problems could appear when putting a processor stressing load, adding 1GB or AC wifi. 

Paul

Did you see if the PoE was only via the pins or will it work direct with a switch?

Edit: NM, specs show Power-over-Ethernet support (with separate PoE HAT)

11 minutes ago, paulbates said:

I saw that and have more questions than answers. The assumptive part of me wants a pi to be powered off POE... could be dreaming :D

"We use a magjack that supports Power over Ethernet (PoE), and bring the relevant signals to a new 4-pin header. We will shortly launch a PoE HAT which can generate the 5V necessary to power the Raspberry Pi from the 48V PoE supply."

It's great the company has been able to do all this while keeping the same low price. Can anyone comment whether BLE is actually supported now?!? ? I just keep reading from the past units the drivers are limited or none existent is this still true??

Lastly, very impressed they went the extra mile to enclose the WiFi radio. This essentially has removed all the costs and labor to certify this component for integration with other hardware projects.

I'll be picking up a few more of these new units in the spring. Great times ahead and expect more ultra micro computers to come to market soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's great the company has been able to do all this while keeping the same low price. Can anyone comment whether BLE is actually supported now?!? ? I just keep reading from the past units the drivers are limited or none existent is this still true??

Says Bluetooth 4.2 - so would think there is some support, but I am not a RPi expert.

This might help answer your question though

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138145
5 hours ago, Teken said:

It's great the company has been able to do all this while keeping the same low price. emoji106.png Can anyone comment whether BLE is actually supported now?!? ?emoji848.png I just keep reading from the past units the drivers are limited or none existent is this still true??

Lastly, very impressed they went the extra mile to enclose the WiFi radio. This essentially has removed all the costs and labor to certify this component for integration with other hardware projects.

I'll be picking up a few more of these new units in the spring. Great times ahead and expect more ultra micro computers to come to market soon! emoji213.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After spending several days trying to get my two RPi 3s to talk to BT speakers (including Alexa) I would say it still has problems, as evidenced in forums. They pair OK but always refused to connect together. The BT seems to be only set up for input device connections.

The BT on my RPi3s is a PITA as you can not turn it off and have it stay off. I don't have the latest RPi3B+ but I suspect it is not a hardware problem.

13 hours ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Says Bluetooth 4.2 - so would think there is some support, but I am not a RPi expert.

This might help answer your question though

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138145

I was just reading that thread before you posted that up ~ Thanks

9 hours ago, larryllix said:

After spending several days trying to get my two RPi 3s to talk to BT speakers (including Alexa) I would say it still has problems, as evidenced in forums. They pair OK but always refused to connect together. The BT seems to be only set up for input device connections.

The BT on my RPi3s is a PITA as you can not turn it off and have it stay off. I don't have the latest RPi3B+ but I suspect it is not a hardware problem.

Had a reply all typed out and the forum just barfed . . :?

Anyways, your use case is like mine as I had a few BLE speakers kicking around and wanted to test something out for a long term project. Looks to be this whole BLE is still in the toilet and won't spend too much time to get it to work if it doesn't off the hop.

Wiring was the long term plan and solution anyways but figured this would save me the wire run in the interim ~ guess not! :wacko:

5 minutes ago, Teken said:

I was just reading that thread before you posted that up ~ Thanks

Had a reply all typed out and the forum just barfed . . :?

Anyways, your use case is like mine as I had a few BLE speakers kicking around and wanted to test something out for a long term project. Looks to be this whole BLE is still in the toilet and won't spend too much time to get it to work if it doesn't off the hop.

Wiring was the long term plan and solution anyways but figured this would save me the wire run in the interim ~ guess not! :wacko:

I thought it would be real nice to create a voice server on a RPi and let ISY send NRs or build a Node to serve up voice samples through my Alexa units. Not happenning easily with BT apparently. It may be input peripheral only.

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

I thought it would be real nice to create a voice server on a RPi and let ISY send NRs or build a Node to serve up voice samples through my Alexa units. Not happenning easily with BT apparently. It may be input peripheral only.

That would be a crying shame since the 4.2 BLE standard touts better energy management, distance, and sound quality, etc. If all they are going to do is support keyboards, mouse, input devices, what a total waste!

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

i had same thing... (other topic)... i submitted, but the whole thing DISAPPEARED!... maddening!

1 hour ago, Teken said:

That would be a crying shame since the 4.2 BLE standard touts better energy management, distance, and sound quality, etc. If all they are going to do is support keyboards, mouse, input devices, what a total waste!

Well My statements are for the RPi 3 and not the 3+ so I hope that this new BT port makes some difference but I still think it was just the software, and may still be a problem until somebody re-creates it. I know on some of the forums people instructed others to forget the GUI software and go back to the kb line drivers etc. but I could not get those to work either.

I was suspect of Amazon rejecting certain brand  attachments too but I am not familiar with BT stuff.

7 minutes ago, johnstonf said:

i had same thing... (other topic)... i submitted, but the whole thing DISAPPEARED!... maddening!

It may have been your posts that got me enthused that week. Amazon speakers linked but when it came to actually sending them audio it refused each time.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Mustang65 said:

I just received my monthly MagPi magazine (PDF) this morning. It has an review of the Pi3.

Thanks Don. Good review of the 3+ and comparisons across the pi model family.  Processing power and network io are in a whole new world. 

2 hours ago, Mustang65 said:

I just received my monthly MagPi magazine (PDF) this morning. It has an review of the Pi3.

<snipped>

Thanks! Very nice to see more stats.

Trouble is, we are going back into mechanical fans for cooling again but at least we have a range of products to meet various needs now. We are also really straining those micro connections with microUSB power draws over the USB spec of 0.5 amperes max. For the few times I have to power cycle  my RPi3,  I already worry about the arc created making and breaking power flow on that micro  connector. :(  I think I better get a switch in the cord next purchase.

Archived