KeypadLinc Puzzle

pilotgeek

Hello,

I have an 8-key KeypadLinc that I am attempting to use for what feels like simple purposes.  It is not working out as planned.

Setup:

• I have two outdoor fans that don't have room for a FanLinc. 
  • I need to be able to turn the fans on and off, and do the same with the fan lights (dimming them would be nice too)
  • I have installed one Micro Dimmer (2442-222) and one Micro On/Off (2443-222) in a junction box extension on each of the two fans
  • I have installed one 8-button KeypadLinc nearby (2334-2)
  • I have added all of the devices to the ISY and they all are working properly from the admin interface.

What I wanted:

• A: Fan 1 on
  • B: Fan 2 on
  • ? Fan 1 off
  • ? Fan 2 off
  • E: Fan 1 Light on/brighten
  • F: Fan 2 Light on/brighten
  • G: Fan 1 Light off/dim
  • H: Fan 2 Light off/dim

I have realized that brighten/dim aren't possible in the manner which I was hoping with the KeypadLinc -- or at least I think that is the case. Please let me know if I have missed the point there.

Moving on, I was able to otherwise program the switchlinc as desired.  Mostly.  There are a few glitches, one of which is glaring.  If I press button A, Fan 1 turns on -- Good.  If I press button C, Fan 1 turns off, button C blinks a few times, and then goes out.  With B/D, E/G, and F/H things seem to mostly work.

I have already tried resetting the KeypadLinc, but there is no change.  I am not using any programs for this, only scenes (8 of 'em).

Thoughts?  I am sure I am missing something simple.

Regards,
Neal

Hello,
I have an 8-key KeypadLinc that I am attempting to use for what feels like simple purposes.  It is not working out as planned.
Setup:
  • I have two outdoor fans that don't have room for a FanLinc. 
  • I need to be able to turn the fans on and off, and do the same with the fan lights (dimming them would be nice too)
  • I have installed one Micro Dimmer (2442-222) and one Micro On/Off (2443-222) in a junction box extension on each of the two fans
  • I have installed one 8-button KeypadLinc nearby (2334-2)
  • I have added all of the devices to the ISY and they all are working properly from the admin interface.
What I wanted:
  • A: Fan 1 on
  • B: Fan 2 on
  • Fan 1 off
  • Fan 2 off
  • E: Fan 1 Light on/brighten
  • F: Fan 2 Light on/brighten
  • G: Fan 1 Light off/dim
  • H: Fan 2 Light off/dim
I have realized that brighten/dim aren't possible in the manner which I was hoping with the KeypadLinc -- or at least I think that is the case. Please let me know if I have missed the point there.
Moving on, I was able to otherwise program the switchlinc as desired.  Mostly.  There are a few glitches, one of which is glaring.  If I press button A, Fan 1 turns on -- Good.  If I press button C, Fan 1 turns off, button C blinks a few times, and then goes out.  With B/D, E/G, and F/H things seem to mostly work.
I have already tried resetting the KeypadLinc, but there is no change.  I am not using any programs for this, only scenes (8 of 'em).
Thoughts?  I am sure I am missing something simple.
Regards,
Neal

One thing that would be helpful to know that you didn’t mention - what toggle settings did you select for these buttons?

Not sure exactly what you want for the fans but perhaps you want for A and C is:
A - non toggle on
Scene settings:
- fan on
- C button off

C - non toggle on
Scene settings:
- fan off
- A button off

How are your scenes for A and C configured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Came looking for help on another topic and saw this.  Why not just make a scene fan 1. Make A a controller of that scene. Press A and the fan turns on, press it again and it turns off.  One button for each fan is all you need.  Same for the lights.  

On 7/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, TrojanHorse said:

One thing that would be helpful to know that you didn’t mention - what toggle settings did you select for these buttons?

Not sure exactly what you want for the fans but perhaps you want for A and C is:
A - non toggle on
Scene settings:
- fan on
- C button off

C - non toggle on
Scene settings:
- fan off
- A button off

How are your scenes for A and C configured?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A through H are all Non-Toggle [on].

Scene for A:

Switch A -> 100

Switch C -> 0

Fan -> 100 ( it is an on/off)

C is the opposite

It is the blinking that really puzzles me.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:12 PM, EricK said:

Came looking for help on another topic and saw this.  Why not just make a scene fan 1. Make A a controller of that scene. Press A and the fan turns on, press it again and it turns off.  One button for each fan is all you need.  Same for the lights.  

I know I can just use one button per function.  But I would prefer to use two.

Regards,
Neal

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 5:09 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

The blinking indicates the action was received. Since the non toggle modes don't change in regards to status it blinks

I am puzzled as to why it would only affect button C (and A depending upon perspective).  All of the other buttons work as expected.  Only C blinks when pressed (despite working).  It is also the only button that does not annunciate status (probably the same issue, whatever that is).

Regards,
Neal

I'd factory reset the device and then restore it from the Isy. The non toggle modes should blink to show that the button was pressed. Most likely the buttons that are blinking are responding properly while the others aren't.

Me personally, I don't use the non toggle modes. I don't like how they work. I simply create a scene with the devices in the state I want them to be in and then use programs to manipulate the back lighting

https://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/2014/9/30/keypad-dimmer-owners-manual

Hi All,

Problem solved.  I will post the solution here for posterity.

Despite the giant warnings on the dialog, the answer was "Buttons Grouping".  Specifically, and for reasons unclear, buttons A and C were not in a Mutually Exclusive Buttons group.  All of the other buttons grouped up as needed automatically based on the programming I did outside of that dialog.  Once I added the grouping for A and C manually in the dialog it all worked perfectly.

Regards,
Neal

Archived