Using ISY devices as triggers with Alexa routines

ahwman

@brians , I just updated the iPhone to:

Client Version 1.24.203945.0

App Version 2.2.235542.0

I can set up routines by clicking the home icon in the bottom right...then click all devices or the device category...select the device you want in the routine...at the bottom of the page click on "Create A Routine...This will take you to the routines page...click on the +......click on "When this happens"....click on devices...select the device you want to add to the routine...finish the routine.

That's how it works in the updated version.

I am using V3 skill...still not showing as option.
Starting to think maybe Amazon is not fully rolled this out to everyone yet. They may have some servers on their end not updated.
My Host Name I am connect to is alexa.amazon.ca

Are you able to find the sensor in the devices and query the status?

Benoit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 minutes ago, dbuss said:

@brians , I just updated the iPhone to:

Client Version 1.24.203945.0

App Version 2.2.235542.0

I can set up routines by clicking the home icon in the bottom right...then click all devices or the device category...select the device you want in the routine...at the bottom of the page click on "Create A Routine...This will take you to the routines page...click on the +......click on "When this happens"....click on devices...select the device you want to add to the routine...finish the routine.

That's how it works in the updated version.

Mine does not have that option... 

In the about, what is your Host name... mine is alexa.amazon.ca

Could be maybe the server I am on doesn't support also.

I attached an image of what I see

image.thumb.png.ddbc2f557bd08d333f97121b816c2c3b.png

2 minutes ago, brians said:

When you added the device to Amazon Echo List in the ISY portal, what category did you use?

Interesting, this is a node server node.

Could you try with a state variable or a regular light, exposed as a motion or contact sensor?

52 minutes ago, bmercier said:

Interesting, this is a node server node.

Could you try with a state variable or a regular light, exposed as a motion or contact sensor?

I have tried those also... I tried an Insteon switch and a state variable with no different results.

image.thumb.png.455ff486eb6b2ffa852ed13996a43512.png

Edited by brians
add picture
1 hour ago, BigDigger said:

Any suggestions on what to try next?  I would really like to get this working.

Thanks,

Mike

I do not know the cause.

All I know is there is a user who contacted Amazon support, and when they tried it, he found out it was now working. So I don't know if just waiting is sufficient, or not.

If it does not appear within 1-2 days, I would try Amazon support.

Benoit

I contacted Amazon support and told me:

I've checked my resourcesa nd I see that Motion and contact trigger routine is compatible with devices which have a built-in smart hub like the Amazon Echo-plus.

The device you have..i.e; Echo dot doesn't have an inbuilt hub.So this is the reason you aren't able to create the routine based on motion and contact sensor.

I don't believe him.

Can someone confirm they are using Echo Dot with this feature.  Thanks

Edited by brians

image.png.a42fbb23d43e4e9c3eb54e1aab61c923.png

Benoit, do you own the Echo Plus with built in Smart Hub?  They are the taller speakers pictured above.  I have the Echo Plus (2nd Gen) but apparently it does not have a built in hub.  They are currently available for $169 on .ca

Edited by BigDigger
update
35 minutes ago, brians said:

I contacted Amazon support and told me:

I don't believe him because the plus isn't out yet.

Can someone confirm they are using Echo Dot with this feature.  Thanks

I'm using it with Dots (1st gen and 2nd gen) and 1st gen Echos.  The Amazon support guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, BigDigger said:

image.png.a42fbb23d43e4e9c3eb54e1aab61c923.png

Benoit, do you own the Echo Plus with built in Smart Hub?  They are the taller speakers pictured above.  I have the Echo Plus (2nd Gen) but apparently it does not have a built in hub.  They are currently available for $169 on .ca

I have an Echo show, and an older echo similar to this one, but black.

Benoit

They had no resolution and have escalated to Engineering support. I can expect a response back within 1-2 business days.

I used the feedback provided by everyone in this forum for the support person to document for the Engineering ticket. (i.e. not specific to type of Amazon device, O/S,)

Thanks,

Mike

• 1 month later...

Very finicky so far..I have tried this many different times / and ways. Finally through the following procedure, in this exact order it WORKED... albeit with fairly significant delay of 10seconds.

ACTIONS:

1) created a State variable in ISY Admin called TestAlexa

2) In ISY Portal, added a Variable, selected TestAlexa, and chose Motion Sensor under Alexa Category and assigned the value 1 to Motion Detected

3) In the Alexa app, clicked on the lower right House icon, then scrolled to the right on the top to Scenes, then all the way to the bottom clicked on Discover Scenes.

4) Alexa responded with "discovered one new scene". 

5) Then I verified that it was there by clicking on the All Devices and scrolled down and found Test One with an icon of a motion detector in the list.

6) then went to upper left corner to the menu bars and clicked on Routines, where I hit the Plus in the upper right corner to create a new routine.

7) In creating the new routine I clicked on "when this happens". I have the choices of Voice, Schedule, Devices, and Echo Button. 

8 clicked on Device: Only my door locks (with one of them showing up 3 times with different names) and Test One shows up. No other devices, scenes etc show up.

9) I selected Test One. I then selected "Detected and hit save. And then added an Action for my kitchen echo to say Goodnight and then hit create.

RESULT:

When i change the variable in the ISY Admin, the device changed immediately on the Alexa app as shown on the device found by clicking the home icon, then all devices and scrolling to find it and then clicking on it. Then there was  a 10 second delay and the echo spoke. 

Past failures:

1) have tried most other Alexa Category and it did not work

2) have tried other devices from ISY and it did not work,

3) have done the exact routine above probably 3-6 times and it did not work, but tonight it did... go figure. In the past,  the device in Alexa would update immediately as motion or no motion, and separately if i manually ran the routine, it would run, but the link between the two Alexa items would not work; i.e. when motion was detected and it was the trigger for the routine, the routine would never run.

QUESTIONS:

1) why would i have 3 differently named versions of the same Z-wave lock in the device listings on Alexa

good luck and please keep sharing your experiences as this gets smoothed out. 

Edited by dbwarner5