Insteon Hub simply doesn't work right

If you do get a unit with Z-Wave, you'll want to make sure that it has the new 500 Series dongle for future-proofing (it does require the 5.0.14 ISY firmware).  I suspect that the combo units in the distribution channel come with the mainline released firmware (4.7.3 or earlier), and may also have the older dongle to ensure that Z-Wave works out of the box.

Let me backpaddle a bit. I agree with both above. If you are sure you want to get involved in Home Automation I would likely jump to the ZWave option also. oberkc is right...let them do the work and get you going faster with more options, especially while the newbie confusion is greatest. Insteon Switches and plug-in modules are real solid stuff but the odds and sods things like sensors etc... are sadly lacking in quality and variety. Zwave can fill a lot of that gap.

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, brittanymarshel said:

How is your experience been with ZWave? 

My own experience with zwave is pretty positive.  I have a few door sensors, switches, locks, and outlets.  My only real complaint is that some apparently cannot act as scene controllers nor differentiate themselves in triggering some programs.  With the ISY as controller, I probably prefer Insteon switches and outlets (now that they don't have that "sense" current) but z-wave can fill some holes if chosen wisely.  

4 hours ago, brittanymarshel said:

How is your experience been with ZWave?  I did consider getting one.

I'm with Oberkc. For me, while zwave had some nice features, they are still way behind insteon when it comes to lighting control. I do prefer their sensors over insteon sensors however. I would stay away from fibaro sensors though.

There's just so many caveats when it comes to using zwave. Should you go for it, just make sure the device you're getting will perform the way you want it to. In the zwave world, a switch doesn't necessarily mean the same thing was it does in insteon's world. 

With the Isy, you do have the ability to use both together so you don't have to pick and choose. Zwave does offer so much more when used in conjunction with insteon. The skies the limit

The ISY provides an "and".. you can have Z-wave and Insteon and some smart wifi lights with integration between them.

You'll find preferences & opinions here but not absolutes. There's opportunity cost for each technical solution, with the ISY a strong choice for maximizing the pluses and minimizing the minuses.

The choices now are continue researching the forum for pluses and minuses, or try them out.

Paul

10 hours ago, brittanymarshel said:

I had no experienced with insteon I had posted a thread for the recommendation here, so don't fall to the wrong device.

I am sorry.  I am not sure what point you are trying to make here.  "Fall to the wrong device"?

Your referenced post asked for recommendations on the best z-wave hub, and your use case seemed to be limited to remote control from your phone or google home (very little automation there).  Furthermore, your choices for hub seemed to center around picking between Wink or Smart Things.  

Where are we going with this line of posts?  What is your actual question, if any?  I am having trouble following this.

Hey everyone I bought the isy/plm bundle, got it up and running with the isy dashboard and now I would like to do just one thing. Learn how to get rid of my Insteon HUB and software and control my insteon devices(mostly dimmers) With the ISY and whatever software that's good/appropriate/recommended. 
Is there a good thread somewhere that anyone can point me to?

Thanks

3 minutes ago, francorosso said:

Hey everyone I bought the isy/plm bundle, got it up and running with the isy dashboard and now I would like to do just one thing. Learn how to get rid of my Insteon HUB and software and control my insteon devices(mostly dimmers) With the ISY and whatever software that's good/appropriate/recommended. 
Is there a good thread somewhere that anyone can point me to?

Thanks

This advice has been posted all over the place but not sure its in the wiki. The ISY has a learning curve, take your time.

Take a step-by-step approach:

1. Pick a room or location
  2. Start with a group of related devices - let's say a 3 way set up with a switch and lamps
  3. Factory reset just those devices (google: <the switch id> "2477D Manual PDF", and then look for the reset procedure from the manual
  4. Add those devices to the ISY using the linking menu (This is a great reference)
  5. Rebuild the associated scenes(s) for these devices (refer to the cookbook linked above)
  6. Give it time to make sure its working
  7. Go to 1 or 2, rinse and repeat until everything's converted

Trying to do it all at one time will disrupt what you have and potentially very frustrating. However, as you learn how the ISY is different than the hub, you'll pick up the pace

Paul

Mobilinc and and Agave are probably the most popular. The links are to the forum site for each, and you can also look them up on the appropriate ios or android app store.

Agave is similar between ios and android. Mobilinc depends, I believe, on whether your on ios (better) or android (not quiet as good). I don't typically remote control my setup so I use no mobile app, i use the built in HAD web page interface. You'll get a range of opinions from others here about the apps, it will probably be worth a trial subscription once you have a few things set up.

Paul

To paulbates’ advice, I would add:

Don’t neglect installation concerns.  Like the hub, the PLM is the single insteon device that must communicate well.  Be sure not to surround it with lots of other electronic gadgets, or filter those other gadgets.  Also, be certain that communication between “legs” (in memorial of stusviews) of your electrical system is well-established.

This advice is not unique to the ISY, but failure to address these issues can cause a frustrating  experience.

1 hour ago, francorosso said:

Ok I'll have to move it I guess.

Or, put those other things on a filter.

Of course, you can try it as is.  There is not guarantee that it won't work, but it seems to me to be good practice to put those things on a filter.  Even if it works initially, over time, stuff happens.

22 minutes ago, francorosso said:

Sorry about my ignorance but I’ve never used a filter. Got a name or a link for me to research? Also, is it ok to leave the Insteon Hub connected until I get through with the transition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as you remove from the hub and factory reset the devices as you add them to the isy, you should be alright.

I would not run both systems with your devices added to both unless you are well versed in troubleshooting

Archived