8 button keypad issue

iowaj

We have an 8 button keypadlinc dimmer switch that  shows the green update arrow when I open ISY.  I try to write the updates to the device, but then it tells it can't communicate with it.  However, when the green update arrow is there I am able to turn the switch on and off via the ISY.  Is there something we can do to fix this?  I really don't want to have to replace this switch.Thanks!

On 12/3/2018 at 4:08 PM, paulbates said:

Try a factory reset of the switch followed by using the Admin Console and right-clicking on the keypad and "restore device". 

Paul

Just now had the chance to try that but it didn't work.  It starts the action to restore, but then at about 45% the system busy screen just goes away and no restore happens.

More help needed! I had a new 8 button switch here so just thought I'd replace the one acting up.  I have replaced many switches so wasn't too worried about accomplishing this.  After making the swap I opened ISY to add the switch and complete the replacement.  First, I was shocked that suddenly ISY says it can't communicate basically with any of my switches. There is a red exclamation point beside all of them. I am sure that would cause issues trying to add this new switch but tried anyway.  The usual method of Adding New Insteon Device did not work so  clicked on Start Linking and held down the Set button on device.  The device then showed up so clicked Finish on Start Linking and got can't determine link table address.

What in the world is going on with my ISY and what should I do?

Thanks!

How old is the PLM? They seem to fail at about two years and a few months old.

You may want to run the test in diagnostics. Like PLM Info/Status and show PLM link table. A real small link table can indicate a PLM on the way out. Sometimes a power reset on the PLM will correct it for awhile. If it is a PLM issue.

The PLM was purchased in July 2016.  I have reset it and the ISY 3 times now by unplugging both, plugging the PLM back in while holding the reset button until it stops beeping, then waiting until the PLM light turns green (happens pretty quickly) then plugging the ISY back in.  Every time after when I log in the ISY says it's in safe mode.  I just got off the phone with Smarthome.  They are telling me since the PLM light is green that there is no issue with the PLM.

Am I doing the reset correctly?  Is there something else I am missing?

When I try to run the test in diagnostics it shows absolutely nothing.

Treating this as a communication problem, one option also might be to move the two devices closer together.  My guess is that it would be easier to get an extension cord and plug that into an outlet on the same circuit as the keypad (if possible), running the other end to the PLM.  Try a few different outlets to see if that makes any difference.

Thanks all! We have a big house with the switch on first level and the PLM and ISY in basement. Moving devices closer together isn’t possible. This system was put in place by previous owners and we have replaced numerous switches over the years without any communication issues. Given the age of the PLM (28 mo) and the known fact they don’t last much beyond 2 years, I have ordered a replacement PLM. I am not sure the benefit of this system outweighs the expense and headache of dealing with it! You all have been a huge resource whenever there’s been an issue so thanks for that. In advance, is the new PLM easy to install? Can’t remember what I did the last time!:)

46 minutes ago, iowaj said:

Thanks all! We have a big house with the switch on first level and the PLM and ISY in basement. Moving devices closer together isn’t possible. This system was put in place by previous owners and we have replaced numerous switches over the years without any communication issues. Given the age of the PLM (28 mo) and the known fact they don’t last much beyond 2 years, I have ordered a replacement PLM. I am not sure the benefit of this system outweighs the expense and headache of dealing with it! You all have been a huge resource whenever there’s been an issue so thanks for that. In advance, is the new PLM easy to install? Can’t remember what I did the last time!:)

Attached are the directions for replacing the PLM.

Replace ISY PLM.pdf

Thanks!  Have restore modem going now. Once complete, If I understand correctly, I right click and write any of those green pending updates? Can I then attempt to swap the new 8 button switch for the old 8 button switch? Or will the ISY be confused because the old switch it can’t communicate with was connected with the old PLM? The new switch is installed - just not swapped in the system with the old one. 

26 minutes ago, iowaj said:

Thanks!  Have restore modem going now. Once complete, If I understand correctly, I right click and write any of those green pending updates? Can I then attempt to swap the new 8 button switch for the old 8 button switch? Or will the ISY be confused because the old switch it can’t communicate with was connected with the old PLM? The new switch is installed - just not swapped in the system with the old one. 

You can physically remove the old KPL but don't uninstall it from the ISY

Then physically install the new KPL where the old one was and then link it to the ISY. You can leave the default name which is its address.

The old KPL will still show up in the ISY, right click on it and then click on "replace with" and select the new KPL.

The updates will be written to your new KPL when you do the replace.

See attached file.

Replace device.pdf

Thanks!  I knew how to do the "replace with."  Just didn't know if there would be some confusion in the system since the old switch that lost communication was with the old PLM.

Also,  I am needing to write click to write updates to some of the devices after the PLM install and clicking Restore Modem did it's thing.  This seems to work on some, but on others the green update arrow is still there after right clicking and telling the system to write the updates.  What else should I do?

16 minutes ago, iowaj said:

Thanks!  I knew how to do the "replace with."  Just didn't know if there would be some confusion in the system since the old switch that lost communication was with the old PLM.

Also,  I am needing to write click to write updates to some of the devices after the PLM install and clicking Restore Modem did it's thing.  This seems to work on some, but on others the green update arrow is still there after right clicking and telling the system to write the updates.  What else should I do?

On a device, other than the one you're replacing, right click on it, then click on "write updates to device".

If the device is a battery operated device then you first need to put the device into linking mode before you click on write updates. Make sure that only one battery operated device is in the linking mode at a time otherwise the link tables can get cross linked..

I did add the new switch 8 button switch to the ISY then right clicked on the old switch and told it to replace with the new switch.  It appeared to do so and the ISY console closed down as expected.  However, when I reopened the ISY console it tells me it can't communicate with the new switch.  I can see it did the replacement fine as the name of the switch shows the correct new switch code.  Does this have something to do with the old switch having the old PLM info attached with it?  I am not sure what to do.

1 hour ago, iowaj said:

I did add the new switch 8 button switch to the ISY then right clicked on the old switch and told it to replace with the new switch.  It appeared to do so and the ISY console closed down as expected.  However, when I reopened the ISY console it tells me it can't communicate with the new switch.  I can see it did the replacement fine as the name of the switch shows the correct new switch code.  Does this have something to do with the old switch having the old PLM info attached with it?  I am not sure what to do.

Try doing a factory reset then a restore device on the new KPL

It's also possible that you may have a communication issue between the KPL and the PLM, i.e. noise on the powerline etc. 

If the above doesn't work then run a diagnostic / compare links on the new KPL to see if the link tables were correctly written to the new KPL

Archived