Outlet turns on, but won't reliably turn off ...

I have a dual band on/off outlet (2663-222) with a commercial neon sign attached to it. The outlet always turns on, but it often takes several attempts to turn it off. I'm guessing the neon sign's power supply is creating a lot of electrical noise which is blocking the Insteon signal. Would a FilterLinc help, and can you daisy chain a FilterLinc with an on/off outlet?

A filterlinc after the on off is the place to start. It’s 99.9% chance that the neon fixture is causing noise which blocks Insteon wireline signals.

You might get another dual band device near(but on different circuit) and have it get the off command but then you’ve still got lots of line noise.

I’ve used a filterlincs after a on off plug In module several times.

35 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

A filterlinc after the on off is the place to start. It’s 99.9% chance that the neon fixture is causing noise which blocks Insteon wireline signals.

You might get another dual band device near(but on different circuit) and have it get the off command but then you’ve still got lots of line noise.

I’ve used a filterlincs after a on off plug In module several times.

Thanks! I'll order one and see if it helps.

It turns out I had a FilterLinc lying around. I installed it between the outlet and the neon light, and the problem appears to be fixed. Thanks again, guys! I wonder why Smartlabs doesn't just build the filters right into their outlets and plug-in modules. I would think it would make the whole Insteon system more bullet proof.

Glad you got the problem load filtered and it is now working.

To add the components in a filter with heavy enough coils and large capacitors in a filter. To support the modules load rating. Would make the module much larger. Most of a Filterlinc is a PCB with components on it.

I'd like to add to this thread with a similar problem:

I have a bathroom fan that is connected to a switchlinc (2876SB) and it will always turn on reliably but won't turn off in a similar manner.  I concluded the same thing that the above posters did:  the fan is "noisy".  

How can I filter something that isn't plugged in so no filterlinc can be used?

Some users have reported the X10Pro XPNR helped. It connects across the load and absorbs noise above and below the X10 120Khz which is close to the Insteon 131.65KHz. Since it is tuned to not absorb X10 power line signals. I suspect it may not absorb the fans noise if it is at the Insteon power line frequency.

Too bad the Leviton small 5 amp wire in filter is no longer made. It was nice and small and fit in many installations.

I'd like to add to this thread with a similar problem: I have a bathroom fan that is connected to a switchlinc (2876SB) and it will always turn on reliably but won't turn off in a similar manner.  I concluded the same thing that the above posters did:  the fan is "noisy".  

How can I filter something that isn't plugged in so no filterlinc can be used?

Two thoughts:

1) I had an exhaust fan that did the same. It was cheaper contractor grade and very noisy both to ear and to electrical. I decided to replace it. Kinda extreme but as I recall was not much more than a filterlinc.

2) Plan B had been to add a plug in box and adapt fan with a plug so filterlinc could be used. Wasn’t sure of wiring code and heat implications since it would have been in attic space.

Archived