How to send an Alexa notification when leak sensor detects water

ghaynes27

One of my Insteon leak sensors detected water last night (2:30am) while I was sleeping and since i use DND (Do Not Disturb) on my iPhone I never got an audible notification.  Now I have a basement full of water due to a shoddy contractor that damaged a water line. Currently I have an ISY program thats sends a push notification to Pushover with a priority set to 1 (High Priority). At the moment there seems to be no way to make a specific app bypass the DND settings on the phone to alert me. I need to think of a creative way to be woken up in case this ever happens again. I could try using an auto dialer since I believe there is a setting to allow specific numbers to bypass DND but I don't see an easy way to do this and one that would be free. 

Now I do have an echo dot right next to me that I would love to see if I can send a notification or alarm to Alexa to wake me if my leak sensor detects water. Is there a way to do this? Are there other ways that I am missing?

1 hour ago, ghaynes27 said:

I was looking into routines but seems they only support devices and my leak sensors don't show up in my device list probably because they are battery operated so I am still searching for ways to make this possible.

You should be able to use routines to accomplish what you want to.

Have you read through this?

2 hours ago, ghaynes27 said:

One of my Insteon leak sensors detected water last night (2:30am) while I was sleeping and since i use DND (Do Not Disturb) on my iPhone I never got an audible notification.  Now I have a basement full of water due to a shoddy contractor that damaged a water line. Currently I have an ISY program thats sends a push notification to Pushover with a priority set to 1 (High Priority). At the moment there seems to be no way to make a specific app bypass the DND settings on the phone to alert me. I need to think of a creative way to be woken up in case this ever happens again. I could try using an auto dialer since I believe there is a setting to allow specific numbers to bypass DND but I don't see an easy way to do this and one that would be free. 

Now I do have an echo dot right next to me that I would love to see if I can send a notification or alarm to Alexa to wake me if my leak sensor detects water. Is there a way to do this? Are there other ways that I am missing?

I do not think I would rely on the internet or a cell network to give you a local leak/flooding alarm within your house.  Consider an Insteon siren.

21 minutes ago, KSchex said:

I do not think I would rely on the internet or a cell network to give you a local leak/flooding alarm within your house.  Consider an Insteon siren.

I agree, an Insteon siren or Z-Wave siren if your ISY has Zwave most likely would provide a higher level of reliability. You could also use both, a siren and a routine.

Archived