MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT: MobiLinc X for iOS and Android

InsteonNut

Thanks @stillwater I'm glad we could work together to identify the issue and get your ISY back on your account.

Just a couple of clarity comments:

15 minutes ago, stillwater said:

On the other hand Wes identifies some other errors  ( System -170001 UDQ: Queue(s) Full, message ignored)  as indicating troubles in connecting with Mobilinc.

UDI would know better, but I think this happens when the ISY is overrun with requests. If there is a lot of HTTP traffic to the ISY, then this could happen. If the ISY is busy for any reason (traffic or otherwise) and our servers are attempting to sync with your ISY (maybe after a reboot) then we'll likely get partial or incomplete data. We have some back-off and retry later logic in place to help alleviate this.

18 minutes ago, stillwater said:

Wes seems to confirm that some of the features  I identified as missing from the  Mobilinc X interface that I found very useful in Mobilinc HD have not been included in Mobilnc X and will only be added back as voted by participants in the Beta (or perhaps after publication on the app stores).    It seems like a mistake to shape the ultimate product based on a very small sample of eventual users, but maybe the target audience is much smaller than I assumed. 

The Feature Request/Upvote is designed to be there in production as well. I'd like to be more transparent about what features have been requested, the popularity of those features in the community, and what features I'm working on next to bring to MobiLinc X. MobiLinc X is a different take on an app for the ISY. Many features evolved to MobiLinc X and some aren't in the app but listed as features I'd like the community to chime in on before I dedicate resources to implementing both during beta and once released. 

Wes

Let me also chime in to say this app looks awesome and I'd love to buy it, but one of the main reasons I'm using the ISY is to avoid public cloud services. I understand you're providing a service to allow those who aren't technically savvy enough to have a remote access option, but it would be nice if you had an option for those who ARE technically savvy enough to manage this on their own, with a local IP option.

Hi @DukeofURL

Appreciate the feedback. A local IP option is something I may explore if there's enough support for it. However, there are a number of features that would have to be re-worked at a minimum or altogether removed to support a true no-cloud supported stand-alone app. If you are reading this and would only use an app with a local IP option, send me an email to: support@mobilinc.com so I can monitor the demand for this as I get this into the hands of my MobiLinc Connect users.

Wes

1 hour ago, io_guy said:

Have to agree.  

After being involved with the cyber security team at work I've completely moved away from anything cloud.  I've even turned off the ISY portal.  

It's not if you'll get hacked, it's when.  

Totally agree, I try hard to stay away from cloud services.

I'm new to the ISY world but interested in finding a good solution for mobile access and for wall dashboards.  Such as tablets on the wall with access to certain functions.

Would Mobilinc be a good solution for me? 

Currently I sampled the Mobilinc Lite trial which really wasn't long enough to explore as I'm still getting the ISY setup, devices linked etc.  I would like to give Mobilinc X a try but I'd like to try out Mobilinc Pro as well since it's the only Android option other than X.  As others have stated I'm not keen on the cloud-only approach as I would prefer to have the choice of local and cloud access options.  I don't see a reason for tablets on Wifi to leave my LAN or customer LAN to then come back for basic functionality.  I know there's a lot of features and options of having internet connected options so I'm not completely against it as long as it's not a forced requirement for common/basic functionality.

11 minutes ago, simplextech said:

I'm new to the ISY world but interested in finding a good solution for mobile access and for wall dashboards.  Such as tablets on the wall with access to certain functions.

Would Mobilinc be a good solution for me? 

Currently I sampled the Mobilinc Lite trial which really wasn't long enough to explore as I'm still getting the ISY setup, devices linked etc.  I would like to give Mobilinc X a try but I'd like to try out Mobilinc Pro as well since it's the only Android option other than X.  As others have stated I'm not keen on the cloud-only approach as I would prefer to have the choice of local and cloud access options.  I don't see a reason for tablets on Wifi to leave my LAN or customer LAN to then come back for basic functionality.  I know there's a lot of features and options of having internet connected options so I'm not completely against it as long as it's not a forced requirement for common/basic functionality.

I have used MobiLinc Pro for years now, as obsolete as it is it provides basic control and monitoring of basic things.

Now I am finding ISY Portal just as useful if not easier and more powerful for basic monitoring and remote control. It requires no other DDNS or updating your ISP IP address either and much faster. recommended.

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

I have used MobiLinc Pro for years now, as obsolete as it is it provides basic control and monitoring of basic things.

Now I am finding ISY Portal just as useful if not easier and more powerful for basic monitoring and remote control. It requires no other DDNS or updating your ISP IP address either and much faster. recommended.

I'm using ISY Portal for Alexa/Google/Webhooks and that aspect of things is great.  The standard UDAjax or HAD I can access local without the portal which provides very crude basics.  I know I can customize HAD which is my next step if I can't find something pre-made and "family friendly".  I want to be able to put up tablets and customize/configure them without the effort/time of HSTouch.  I'm a HomeSeer user and although HSTouch is super capable it's not easy/friendly to use when modifications are needed or updating to add new devices or even to simply change layouts.

Something with good WAF and KAF (Kids approval Factor) is the goal.  The least amount of effort I have to put into development (at the moment) the better as I would prefer to put focus on other projects and customers.

Hi @simplextech

I'm launching a small Android beta here next week. If you want to give X a shot and see how it's shaping up, send me your Gmail address to: support@mobilinc.com and I'll get you added to my Android beta list. 

You will need our MobiLinc Connect portal in your ISY if you want to use X. MobiLinc Connect supports Alexa, Google Home, dedicated IFTTT Channel, DDNS, and a lot more.

Wes

16 minutes ago, simplextech said:

I'm using ISY Portal for Alexa/Google/Webhooks and that aspect of things is great.  The standard UDAjax or HAD I can access local without the portal which provides very crude basics.  I know I can customize HAD which is my next step if I can't find something pre-made and "family friendly".  I want to be able to put up tablets and customize/configure them without the effort/time of HSTouch.  I'm a HomeSeer user and although HSTouch is super capable it's not easy/friendly to use when modifications are needed or updating to add new devices or even to simply change layouts.

Something with good WAF and KAF (Kids approval Factor) is the goal.  The least amount of effort I have to put into development (at the moment) the better as I would prefer to put focus on other projects and customers.

If you are using Android tablets - and the cloud dependency is a turn-off (or Polyglot Cloud is required or you are using ISY Portal which means it's a complete redo to switch to Mobilinc Connect) - you should also look at Agave. Mobilinc X looks pretty slick (even though it's highly cloud dependant - so a local Internet outage means your wall tablets won't work) - but Agave beats the current version of Mobilinc hands down - as well as staying working if your local internet goes down.

15 minutes ago, InsteonNut said:

Hi @simplextech

I'm launching a small Android beta here next week. If you want to give X a shot and see how it's shaping up, send me your Gmail address to: support@mobilinc.com and I'll get you added to my Android beta list. 

You will need our MobiLinc Connect portal in your ISY if you want to use X. MobiLinc Connect supports Alexa, Google Home, dedicated IFTTT Channel, DDNS, and a lot more.

Wes

I've sent you an email from my business account and included my personal email account as well.  I'd like to give Mobilinc X a try and see how it compares.

10 minutes ago, MWareman said:

If you are using Android tablets - and the cloud dependency is a turn-off (or Polyglot Cloud is required or you are using ISY Portal which means it's a complete redo to switch to Mobilinc Connect) - you should also look at Agave. Mobilinc X looks pretty slick (even though it's highly cloud dependant - so a local Internet outage means your wall tablets won't work) - but Agave beats the current version of Mobilinc hands down - as well as staying working if your local internet goes down.

I did try Agave as well and my time ran out too quickly before I was able to really get started.  I did notice an issue with Agave perhaps it was during the expiring time period of it was constantly refreshing on my phone and the device list would move up and down and by accident turned off the bathroom lights... oops and yes someone was in there :)

I've sent you an email from my business account and included my personal email account as well.  I'd like to give Mobilinc X a try and see how it compares.

Just remember, you’ll need to turn of ISY Portal to enable the Mobilinc Connect Portal (only one can be active at a time, and switching requires a support email to UDI). If you are using any service that depends on ISY Portal - they will stop working. Although most are also implemented on the Mobilinc Connect portal (albeit in a different way)

2 minutes ago, MWareman said:

Just remember, you’ll need to turn of ISY Portal to enable the Mobilinc Connect Portal (only one can be active at a time, and switching requires a support email to UDI). If you are using any service that depends on ISY Portal - they will stop working. Although most are also implemented on the Mobilinc Connect portal (albeit in a different way)

Hmmm.... currently only using the Alexa/Google integrations and with "sensors" ie variables for TTS.  One major thing I am using is Webhooks which is what I use for my GPS integration for location automations.  I know Mobilinc has something but it's also phone/app based which I do not like and is no where near as accurate as my system.  If someone else can do 5 second updates at my cost with any GPS hardware I would like to know how :)

I'm not sure I like the either/or scenario though as the ISY Portal so far has been very reliable and the fee supports UDI.  I'm also going to be getting involved more in Polyglot development so.... that I think will kill the Mobilinc Connect possibility.... hmmm maybe I can get another trial of Agave and test it on a tablet and see if the interface can be customized a bit.

Local Polyglot will still work, and you can do webhooks to the Mobilinc Connect Portal (although you have to include your Mobilinc Connect username and password in the url - or at least you used to have to and I’m not sure if that requirement changed).

Polyglot Cloud will not work with Mobilinc Connect.

As you know, ISY Portal generates a nonce to secure access, meaning you don’t have to use the username and password in the webhook.

Hi folks,

To my interested Android users, I'm releasing a quick beta test on Android here tomorrow. Send me an email to support@mobilinc.com with your Google Play Gmail address so I can get you added to the beta. MobiLinc X will run on Android devices OS 6 through 9.

iOS beta users will be getting the final version tomorrow as well as we work with Apple to get the new MobiLinc X approved and in the app store.

Thank you to everyone for all their help!

Wes

Hi Wes,

The recent change of lights to outlets confused me, as I have both outdoor and indoor devices, the indoor devices (plugin module) now show up as outlets, while the outdoor ones are still lights.

Not a huge issue to be honest.

Thanks

Eran

Hi @eyaniv

Trying to make anything that's on/off that controls a plug style outlet into the "Outlet" category. If the device dims, then it will remain in the lights category. 

If you are seeing on/off items that control an outlet (OutletLinc or ApplianceLinc) shoot me an email to support@mobilinc.com with the name(s) of those devices so I can investigate.

Wes

11 minutes ago, InsteonNut said:

If you are seeing on/off items that control an outlet (OutletLinc or ApplianceLinc) shoot me an email to support@mobilinc.com with the name(s) of those devices so I can investigate.

Just did. Thanks again for your responsiveness.

Archived