Insteon Device Firmware

In the Z-Wave world I can upgrade device firmware on Z-Wave Plus devices that support the feature and for the vendors that release updates (HomeSeer, Aeotec, Zooz, Fibaro, etc).  Is there any such capability with Insteon devices?  Or is it a device replacement when there's a firmware bug?

2 minutes ago, simplextech said:

In the Z-Wave world I can upgrade device firmware on Z-Wave Plus devices that support the feature and for the vendors that release updates (HomeSeer, Aeotec, Zooz, Fibaro, etc).  Is there any such capability with Insteon devices?  Or is it a device replacement when there's a firmware bug?

Insteon devices are not upgradeable. 

Also keep in mind the very tight integration between and Insteon device and firmware. The Insteon protocol is tightly defined, and other than simplehomenet, there’s not multiple vendors trying to interpret an evolving standard with multiple controllers.  Pretty narrow test parameters.

Paul

Thanks for the info.  I'm looking to Insteon for the stability/close nature of the hardware + firmware + protocol.  With the introduction of the MSII where it's more like a multi-sensor I was curious about the firmware and how that is/was handled if at all or done by hardware revisions.  Sounds like through hardware revisions and most "issues" are either very minor and can simply wait or be ignored or they are catastrophic and require device replacement which from the sounds of it are generally hardware failure problems.

It probably has the five contact programming connections.

Though Smartlabs has never provided the information to anyone. Even to UDI when they had their own PLM design in the works and where at one time promised the needed firmware  data file or programmed chips.

Archived